Thread: Another paranoid WG question!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another paranoid WG question!!

Hi!

Has anyone ever had digestive disorders as part of wg? I'm anemic, loss of appetite, weak, generally unwell etc.
    Am on a waiting list for some further tests with gastroenterology.
    thanskx
    Wegeners Granulomatosis diagnosed May 1995. Tracheal Stenosis since 2000.

Proud mum of 3 beautiful girls, post cyclophosphamide (so it really can happen!) xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For me I don't think 'disorders' as much as 'sensitivity'. I have to be very careful about what I eat. If I'm sloppy, then I get so bloated and retain water sumthin terrible.

Rarely have loss of appetite

Intermittently have general feelings of being unwell but I can't relate it to anything.

So I guess the short answer is no. Perhaps one of your meds is playing havoc? Could it be a hormonal thing with the pregnancy?
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me again!

Over the past 3 years, I've developed a great many digestive problems and my weight has dropped from 100Kg (steroid shaped!)to 65Kg. Unfortunately, I have lost muscle as well as fat so I've developed a rather gaunt look.

I have -

pharyngeal pouch - food (and pills) get stuck.

stomach sensitivity / feeling sick - particularly with "rough" foods such as nuts.

dhioria - every morning, sometimes for hours.

haemeroids

Sorry to be so graphic!

I have had referals to a gastroenterologist who has performed every test, biopsy, scan and endoscopy examination in the book with no result. Best guess is that it is the long term effects of medication, but it could be the long term effects of Wegener's. I just live with it now, but don't enjoy eating a meal anymore.
    Last edited by Jack; 12-18-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on Cellcept for the Wegs and I'm pretty sure it's the cause of ongoing severe diarrhea (what a lovely image). I can't eat raw foods, and pretty much anything I eat goes through me within 10 minutes. You'd think I'd be a skinny rail, but when the body is malnourished, it actually retains fat with more vigor. It helps to drink 2 oz of aloe vera gel mixed in water or diluted juice twice a day. Cools down the gut.

Wegs can affect the GI tract, so you should definitely ask your doc. I learned that even drugs that "don't" affect the gut do/did affect mine. I hope it's something easy to fix!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Gwelillan,
    From the beginning my doc put me on Somac which I take once a day to protect my gut from all the medication. Are you on something like this. Maybe you should be as I have had no problems thankgoodness.
    Regards Carol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Hi Gwelillan,
    From the beginning my doc put me on Somac which I take once a day to protect my gut from all the medication. Are you on something like this. Maybe you should be as I have had no problems thankgoodness.
    Regards Carol
    Yeah good idea. I'm on that too.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting. i took 'mesna' when i was on chemo, to protect my bladder, but that's about it . x
    Wegeners Granulomatosis diagnosed May 1995. Tracheal Stenosis since 2000.

Proud mum of 3 beautiful girls, post cyclophosphamide (so it really can happen!) xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Lansoprazole. Without it, I very quickly get acid and indigestion problems, but I suspect that taking strong medication for so many years has still left me with a sensitive stomach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's omeprazole for me.tried stopping taking it once because i was fed up taking so many different drugs.i wont be trying that again,the discomfort from the stomach acid was awful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default stomach

nobody reacts the same way with drug interactions one of the many bad side effects is stomach problems , i have been on pantoprazole since the begining of my meds and let me tell you my stomach has never been this great at digesting food.