Thread: Hello Everybody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello Everybody

Hello Everybody
    I am glad to have found this group and hope I will add and gain some benefit from it.
    I am from Dublin, Ireland and was diagnosed in April 2009.
    Won,t go through all of the history but am currently on Cellcept which the Rheumatologist calls a maintenance drug.Don,t know how long I will be on this but am currently feeling well.
    Any other Irish members here?
    Widthofacircle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Glad that everything is going well for you at the moment, but we would still love to hear your story and all of the medication you use. This sort of information is invaluable to patients trying to position themselves under the new circumstances they find themselves in. Please feel free to post at any time with your experiences and advice or if things are looking bleak, just have a good moan about the situation. You will find plenty on here who can fully appreciate how you feel.

I'm sure you will soon be receiving advice from members regarding maintenance drug regimes.
    Last edited by Jack; 01-04-2011 at 03:45 AM.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jack and thanks for the welcome.
    My story with WG began in March 2009 when I initially had a cold I could not get rid of.This was accompanied by a general feeling of being unwell and tired. I thoiught I needed a break from work to recharge the batteries so I took some time off however during this time off my ankles and knees became badly swollen and I had soreness in the shoulder joints.
    I went to my GP who detected blood in the urine and he referred me onto the local hospital casualty dept.
    Eventually I was admitted and after two weeks of tests, blood ,urine etc.I was moved to another hospital which did a kidney biopsy which confirmed that I had WG.
    Steroids (Deltacortril) and some other drugs unknown to me brought down the joint swelling however the doctors informed me that I had some kidney damage and some lesions on the lungs.
    I spent a year on intravenous cyclophosphamide and 60 mg Deltacortril. I was also taking Septrin and Fosamac.
    During this time I experienced other effects from WG such as breathing difficulty, eye problems, hearing loss and nose bleeds.
    Once I kept the rheumatologist informed of all of these issues they seemed to be able to deal with them through adjustments in the medication.
    After the first year they put me on oral cyclophosphamide instead of intravenous and started to taper off the dosage of Deltacortril.
    In May of last year CT scans and other tests showed a good improvement in my lungs and kidneys. I stayed on the oral cyclophosphamide for 6 months following which they put me on Cellcept.
    I am now on 1500mg Cellcept twice daily and 7.5mg Deltacortril. I also take Septrin and Fosamac.
    I have been feeling well for the last couple of months but I would say I am still only at about 85% of what I remember "normal" to be.
    I still experience some nose bleeds and temporary loss of hearing in one ear however I am in a much better place than I have been in during the first year.
    I attend the rheumatology and respiratory people every couple of months where they monitor progress.
    They will not confirm that I am in remission however.
    I have developed cataracts due to high dosage of steroids however they will be taking care of this over the coming months.
    I also experience anxiety in relation to everyday tasks and work which I put down to side effects from medication as I did not suffer from anxiety before.
    I hope this information will be of some use to some members who have just been diagnosed or are somewhere along the road I have been on.
    Widthofacircle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi, i am not Irish, but I love a Irish accent! Maintenance can be hard but this web site is very informative and the best thing anyone can do is communicate and educate themselves, you r in the right place, welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Leahrubyred
    You are right. Information is a huge help to people with this disease as it is quite rare and not too many of us about, particularly in Ireland with such a small population.
    I got a lot of info over the web when diagnosed. I am sorry I did not find this site a lot earlier

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of people will be frowning at the idea of Cyclophosphamide for 18 months and also wondering why you were being administered IV when oral is more effective. The recommendation for ctx is usually 6 month with a 12 month maximum. I'm wondering if they were perhaps too conservative with the dose especially considering your early diagnosis. However, that is all in the past now and it seems that things are on the right track. Remission is another thing entirely and is often discussed here. Basically, the term can mean almost anything you want it to and the way you are feeling and your own decision on the matter is probably as good as any other measure.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My great great Uncle Neddy is from Dublin. I believe Bradshaw is his last name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Widthofacircle, welcome. I am a quarter Irish if that helps. I do love a Irish accent and hung out with a guy from Dublin on New Year's eve at a friends house. Glad you found us and we love to help each other and vent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some Bradshaws from Finglas in Dublin. Haven,t heard of a Neddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast