Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Bump Below Right Rib Cage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Strange Bump Below Right Rib Cage

Hey all -- I'm going to see my rheumy on Tuesday, but I thought I would ask this here on the off chance that someone knows. I felt a strange bump on my right side right below my rib cage the other day. It was the kind of thing that felt like it could be 'normal' so I checked my left side to see if there was one on my left, but nada. No pain, even pushing on it with strong pressure and can only be felt if I'm sitting upright. It moves around and feels like the space could almost be filled with gristle -- think of material with that texture. Skin over it is completely normal, no fluid, no discoloration. The lump is probably a little smaller than my thumb and more oval than round. Can't be seen at all (I carry most of my extra 10 lbs in that area, so it's encased in fat). Can't be felt if I'm lying down or standing up. My sides and belly are the fattiest part of my body (really don't carry fat anywhere else, and after the mtx started working, I gained back the 10 lbs I'd lost from being sick, probably within six months or less), so I'm wondering if this could be a fatty deposit. Been having no problems otherwise, in fact I've felt very well lately -- energy, appetite all the same and much better than pre diagnosis. Maybe there's some anatomical difference between left and right sides there that I should know about and don't? I have no idea how long this has been there -- I just happened to twist a certain way with my hand on my waist and feel it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly you have an alien living in you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, you are doctor and that was NOT helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JanW View Post
    Hey all -- I'm going to see my rheumy on Tuesday, but I thought I would ask this here on the off chance that someone knows. I felt a strange bump on my right side right below my rib cage the other day. It was the kind of thing that felt like it could be 'normal' so I checked my left side to see if there was one on my left, but nada. No pain, even pushing on it with strong pressure and can only be felt if I'm sitting upright. It moves around and feels like the space could almost be filled with gristle -- think of material with that texture. Skin over it is completely normal, no fluid, no discoloration. The lump is probably a little smaller than my thumb and more oval than round. Can't be seen at all (I carry most of my extra 10 lbs in that area, so it's encased in fat). Can't be felt if I'm lying down or standing up. My sides and belly are the fattiest part of my body (really don't carry fat anywhere else, and after the mtx started working, I gained back the 10 lbs I'd lost from being sick, probably within six months or less), so I'm wondering if this could be a fatty deposit. Been having no problems otherwise, in fact I've felt very well lately -- energy, appetite all the same and much better than pre diagnosis. Maybe there's some anatomical difference between left and right sides there that I should know about and don't? I have no idea how long this has been there -- I just happened to twist a certain way with my hand on my waist and feel it.
    Could they do a needle biopsy to check it out. Most bumps and lumps turn out to be benign but most people treated for Wegener's have taken many meds that can cause cancer so it pays to be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL *hangs head in shame* It's probably old scar tissue but I'm glad your doc can have a look at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA! Yes, I'll ask him to take a look. It definitely *feels* like nothing if that makes any sense -- almost like something that's supposed to be there has moved out of place, but I guess you never know.

I have so far avoided any biopsies except of my throat (and that was in the course of a surgery anyway), so I hope I don't have to have one this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your doc isn't sure of what it is, the next likely test would be either ultrasound or x-ray. If either of those is suspicious, a biopsy might be considered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JanW, it could be your gallbladder ( possible stone) or cyst. You will have to get a ultrasound if your doc thinks it's appropriate.
    I doubt it is your gallbladder unless your having nausea/ diarrhea, pain in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan W, i had several cysts removed before dxt mostly on my back but i had one just as you described on my right side did not hurt and could move it around
    when eventually dxt wg consujlt said you can get them with wg !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lipoma comes to mind, per your description, as a possibility(?).....one of those lovely benign things that come to us to mar our physical beauty. Mine, of course, would would occur not on my mid-section, but on my thighs! Do let the ever curious know of the true nature of the alien...and we certainly hope it is nothing to cause worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast