Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Way Sick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Way Sick

I've been sick all week with a cold and it just keeps getting worse. The first couple days it wasn't a big deal other than how weak it made me. I thought it was licked by the second day. The past couple days it really took off. The nasal congestion ran amok and has jammed up my sinuses. They are so painful-- my whole head is pounding, my eyes are swollen and watery, etc... Most of you know the drill. I don't normally have sinus stuff, even if I get a cold. I have an on/off productive cough.

So far the mucus is pale yellow so I don't think it's bacterial. But I'm unbelievably weak. No fever. My appetite is not great. I've been using the neti pot-- a little temporary relief, not much. I bumped up my pred from 3.5mg to 4mg today, hoping to control some of the inflammation and pain, and give me more energy. I also used Flonase this morning.

My PCP's office seems to be closed and no one is answering my page. I rarely see her anyway. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

BTW, I know how I got sick. Last week Dr Seo said my vitamin D levels were low (from testing a couple months ago. Grrr. Would've like to know sooner.). I was also overdue for a chiropractic visit. I got sick Sunday night within a few hours of being near someone who had a bad cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the same thing happening here Sangye... mine started about 2 days after we stopped the Cytoxan. If you have a vaporizer, try a little eucalyptis oil or Vicks Vaporub in the water, seems to help me *at least as long as I hover over the thing*
    Going to give mine a few days to straighten up... then call the ENT and Pulmy since I have the wet, barky cough as well as the sinus issues.... DO NOT need pnuemonia setting back in at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I hope you feel better. Are you sure yours isn't Wegs since it started after going off ctx?

I don't have a vaporizer and can't use things like eucalyptus anyway because I live in one room and have a bird. Things like that can be deadly to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh dear hope things imptove soon Sangye thought i was starting with a cold yesterday fingercrossed think its holding off
    take care of you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I'll call the doc Monday if I'm not seeing improvement... not sure it isn't the Wegs... haven't reached 'remission', and no Cytoxan. Also not sleeping well (but that could be due to doubling the Pred from 7.5 to 15mg), and woke up last night with night sweats again :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly Sangye. I'm afraid I have no advice that you won't already know - just look after yourself and have plenty of warm drinks. Upping the Pred is probably a good move in the short term (in fact I've just treated myself to a double dose for other reasons) and perhaps something like Paracetamol might help.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww sorry to hear you are sick Sangye. If i am round people coughing i tend to wrap my scarf round my mouth and nose to stop those pesky germs from getting in.

Hope you feel better soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you have contracted this bug. I have developed extreme methods of dealing with my sinuses that most people are not willing to do because they involve some initital discomfort. Here is one that involves no disomfort and I have my own lonesome theory as to why it is a good idea.
    Buggies like to be comfortable. Our sinuses are like a trip to Hawaii to bugs. Also, part of my theory is that the body must ultimatly defeat the bug invasion. Good blood flow will be the supply lines. So, to the method James...

Get a bag of small cubed or crushed ice. Take a wash cloth and run hot water from the faucet until hot as can be . Soak wash cloth in hot water. Wring it out and wrap it around the ice bag. Take the warm feeling bag and lay down and put it on your forehead. Gradually it will turn cold. So gradual that it is not uncomfortable. I usually do this treatment for about a half hour.

When you get up and quit. Your forehead will be ice cold. It feels better. Your body responds by increasing blood flow. Blood flow fights the war.

To really go nuts, like I do when under attack, then go to the shower and take a shower. Put you face directly in the shower stream so that the water is pounding on your face. You fore head, nose, and those cheeks. Then reach for the teperature control. This only works if you have the single type control that is higher up on the wall, so you do not move your face during the whole procedure.
    Turn up the hot water. Gradually turn it up in increments. You will be able to get the heat up to an astonishing degree. I do not know why the face can adapt to such heat. I have tried it on hands and feet and they do not adapt as much. I have had other , normal people, try this and it seems to be true for everyone.
    After getting the heat up quite hot let it blast those sinuses. Then abruptly turn the water off. When you come out your face will be beet red. It feels good. The sinuses get a massage and increased blood flow.

If my crazy stuff doesn't work for you its ok. You will get better anyway. I hope it is soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sangye. Sorry to hear about the sinus cold. What a bummer! (er...header). Marta has sinus involvement and just got a corticosteroid nasal spray. She has only used it once and intends on using it very infrequently but she did say it helped. Her Doc said she could "hit it pretty hard" if she wanted to with one shot in the morning and a double shot before bed. Just a thought as maybe it keeps the steroid limited to the nasal passage rather than oral pred into your whole system??????

Get better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering like this Sangye, especially at Christmas time. I know it must be bad if you are resorting to using Flonase.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast