Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Way Sick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I had a feeling you might be under the weather, Jack. Do you think you're fighting off a bug? I don't recall if you normally have a bit of vertigo. It could be an inner ear virus if it's new.

I'm a lot better but it's in my lungs now. Today was my first day out in 4 days. I didn't have an urge to cough all that time, but would make myself cough periodically to get the stuff out of my lungs. After being out (in the unbelievably freezing cold) to do errands today, now I'm coughing up a storm. I'm going to see my PCP tomorrow so she can take a listen. It's not bacterial, just making sure it isn't digging its heels in.
    How do you know that it is not bacterial? I'm glad you are able to cough the stuff up to get rid of it.

Did you get lots of snow there as well like in NY and Boston?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have copious amounts of mucus, even when I cough stuff up. It's light yellow or clear. And the fact that I'm stronger tells me it isn't bacterial or getting worse.

Here in Maryland we got.... 3 snowflakes. Yup, it was quite the blizzard. I was disappointed because I love the snow. But since it makes getting around much more difficult for me it's good that it didn't happen while I'm sick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel your pain...I'm on cold number 2 from people at work that insist on coming in sick. Annoying...I don't know how many ways I can ask people to stay away. The boss even told people to work from home if they are sick, but no they insist on coming in.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's very frustrating. You can take all the precautions in the world but without the cooperation of those around you on a regular basis, you can get into trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I don't have copious amounts of mucus, even when I cough stuff up. It's light yellow or clear. And the fact that I'm stronger tells me it isn't bacterial or getting worse.

Here in Maryland we got.... 3 snowflakes. Yup, it was quite the blizzard. I was disappointed because I love the snow. But since it makes getting around much more difficult for me it's good that it didn't happen while I'm sick.
    So let me get this straight. So if one has a cold and is improving and getting stronger then it is not bacterial?

I am glad you are getting better and that you don't have to deal with a bunch of snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    So let me get this straight. So if one has a cold and is improving and getting stronger then it is not bacterial?
    It means it's less likely. If someone is not immune-compromised they can fight off many bacterial infections without antibiotics. But an immune-compromised person will probably not be able to kick a bacterial infection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In rare occasions I have seen patients come in with almost 6 months having a sinus infection and the only symptoms was a runny nose on and off. They also had to be treated with a powerful antibiotic. If cold like symptoms persist over a month, then I suspect infection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started antibiotics (Augmentin) a couple days ago because I wasn't getting better and have sizeable fatigue. I also had a few sweats and chills, so I thought a bacterial infection might be brewing. I've taken 2 days' worth of the antibiotic and have had very bad stomach pain and diarrhea (going 5 times in 10 minutes). I don't think I can continue taking it--at least not today. I'm going to stop for today and call my doc tomorrow.

In 2007 I was hospitalized with severe intestinal inflammation after just 1 or 2 doses of amoxicillin. (Augmentin is a combo of amoxicillin and clavulinic acid) I'm wondering if I can take this drug again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a different antibiotic Sangye. You should not take one that you react so badly to and there is quite a choice if you need something non specific.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I just don't see how I can take 7 days of this. It's gotten exponentially worse with each dose. I'm allergic to 2 other classes of antibiotics, so we don't always have a lot of choices. But there should still be something I can take. I could page them and get a different prescription today, but I don't think my gut could handle it. I'm gonna let my gut recover a bit today and call them tomorrow.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast