Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Way Sick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just have a question about corticosteroid nasal spray. I'm using nasonex (don't know if that's what it's called outside Norway as well) as maintenance/prevention. To hinder new sinus infections. Is this normal? From what you guys have written in this thread it seems this isn't normal or even a "good" thing :
    Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I know it must be bad if you are resorting to using Flonase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would stay away from it if you can and just use nasal irrigation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Phil. I had multiple ENT's pushing me to use it and I used every kind of steroid nasal spray out there. They were hoping it would open up the sinus and keep infection away. The nasal sprays did not work, and if you continue to use them....one of the side effects is glaucoma. You can also get fungi infections and all sorts of lovely stuff if you use long term. I Figured this out when I stopped using the nasal sprays... the glaucoma got better. I also have been on a high dose of prednisone for years...but down to 5 1/2 mg now. Sorry to be a downer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elena, corticosteroid nasal sprays are very bad to use on a regular basis. Weggies don't need more steroids. Even though the MDs will tell you the amounts in the sprays are too low to cause much trouble, that's not true. ANY steroids are enough to cause trouble, especially when used chronically.

Also, all nasal sprays (except for saline) cause "rebound" inflammation. This is a well-known side effect and is listed on the product. It means that once the drug wears off, the inflammation in your nasal passages and sinuses actually increases to worse than it was before you used the spray. It creates dependency on the spray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used nasonex for years and my sinuses never got better because my WG was undiagnosed. It does leave me to wonder whether it had a contributing effect on my severe osteo, considering that I was never on long-term oral steroids for my (misdiagnosed) asthma, and inhaled steroid nasal sprays were one of my main ways for getting the drug (the other being occasional pred prescriptions).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you are feeling better Sangye. I just got over some sinus crud. I took a hot washcloth and placed it over my face, basically from the nose up to my forehead and left it there for a while. I took tylenol as well, that seemed to help with sinus pain and pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said many times that I don't know how you guys with sinus involvement can stand it! I was doing very poorly last week, but the thing that really put me over the edge was having my sinuses jammed up.

I didn't want anything to do with heat, though. Cool sounded better to me. I did Flonase once and upped the pred from 3.5mg to 4mg for 2 days. That seemed to do the trick. I kept up with the neti pot, too. These are all things I've learned from reading about what you guys with sinus issues do. I really appreciate the knowledge base we have!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold used to help my sinuses a lot too and I would even go outside and stand in the cold for some relief.

Hope you are getting over your troubles now Sangye, I have not been feeling that good myself, but it is hard to put a finger on it (tinnitus, verigo, stomach, lack of any energy). I hate days like that and start getting bad thoughts about heart failure or kidney problems even though the symptoms don't fit. I'm supposed to be visiting my sister tomorrow so I might go for the Pred solution to get me through the day.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is your blood pressure Jack? It could be low or high?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a feeling you might be under the weather, Jack. Do you think you're fighting off a bug? I don't recall if you normally have a bit of vertigo. It could be an inner ear virus if it's new.

I'm a lot better but it's in my lungs now. Today was my first day out in 4 days. I didn't have an urge to cough all that time, but would make myself cough periodically to get the stuff out of my lungs. After being out (in the unbelievably freezing cold) to do errands today, now I'm coughing up a storm. I'm going to see my PCP tomorrow so she can take a listen. It's not bacterial, just making sure it isn't digging its heels in.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast