Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Spanidin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spanidin?

Hi, I have got totally out of touch with this forum but presumably there are still a few UK users on here so I thought I'd post this link to an interesting article.

I did try a search of this forum for the word "Spanidin" but it didn't show anything up.

Sorry if you already know about Spanidin in the USA, perhaps under a different name. Just trying to be helpful. Byeeee!

The Nordic Pharma Group Announces a Strategic Collaboration With Nippon Kayaku on Spanidin(R) (Gusperimus)
    Last edited by Kimbangu; 12-23-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, excellent article. Thanks Kimbangu. Its worth to read this article too.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/112150.php
    Last edited by jola57; 12-23-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is new stuff coming along all the time. The choices were so limited when I was diagnosed 25 years ago and I now know how lucky I was to respond well to what was available.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spanidin is also known as gusperimus or 15-deoxyspergualin (DSG). I asked Dr Seo about this drug earlier this year. I thought he gave it a thumbs down but I don't remember why-- could be something as simple as insufficient testing at this point. I did a quick PubMed search and it seems to have some potential for relapsing and refractory Wegs. The interesting thing is that they don't know how it works. I found that a little creepy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many new drugs spinning around in the pharma pipeline. Money makes these things happen, unfortunately for those of us that have to pay for them, but fortunate in new stuff may be an improvment on the old stuff! Here is another for those that like to web surf:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/243202-xoma-rally-not-a-surprise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    The interesting thing is that they don't know how it works. I found that a little creepy.
    Sounds like a freak of nature to me or accident in the lab that came up with something they dont know how but it works!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought he gave it a thumbs down but I don't remember why--
    hmmmm..... profit margins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it had something to do with the drug itself. Like I said it might be that they haven't tested it enough yet. I remember him saying that it was being used (or studied) more in Europe.

I found this concluded study about it:
    Phase II Study on Gusperimus in Patients With Refractory Wegener's Granulomatosis - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Dr Jayne at Addenbrooke's was the lead investigator on this study and his name came up on some of the other studies I've seen. If anyone has an upcoming appt, ask about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr Jayne at Addenbrooke's was the lead investigator on this study and his name came up on some of the other studies I've seen. If anyone has an upcoming appt, ask about it.

I have an appointment at addenbrooks in the new year. And i'm sure Geoff will be down there at some point. Between us i'm sure we'll fidn out the answer!