User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody taking Bactrim + Methotrexate?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Anybody taking Bactrim + Methotrexate?

My rheumatologist has me taking both bactrim and methotrexate. These drugs are listed as having potentially fatal interactions. I've mentioned this several times to my rheumatologist but he just smiles and says "that's not a problem."

I stopped taking the Bactrim and am not having the "mock heart attacks" I was having... shortness of breath, massive chest pain etc.

Just wondering if anyone else is on this combination of meds and whether it is working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope your not seeing the Rhuemy....sorry if I am being straight forward, you got to go to Mayo and see the Dr that JanW mentioned. The Bactrim was probably causing heart burn and you already have issues with your GI tract ( intestines).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am and I'm not having problems with it, but I seem to encounter few issues with meds so I'm not a good example.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am taking both, although my rheumy says I can go off the Bactrim anytime. I seem to feel better when I am taking it than when I'm not. I'm keeping an eye out for shortness of breath and chest pain. So far, so good. *knock wood*

Hope your doc (or a different one) can get things better sorted out for you. How much of each drug are you taking? I'm on 20 mg MTX/week, and 37.5/25 mg Bactrim MWF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ScreaminMeanie your on a low dose of Bactrim, and you are taking it only three times a week, so your side effects. So glad to hear that it's working for you!
    I was recently taking 800/160 daily and that was causing so much GI distress I had to stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that a lot of the contra indications that you read about drugs are just possibilities that have to be looked out for rather than something that is definitely going to occur. When I read about the drugs that I take, they nearly all say that they should be avoided if you have kidney problems, which I do. But my condition is closely monitored and the doctors are OK with me taking them. I don't have much choice really!
    Jack