Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Weggie Focus Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dee -- I meant no offense, only responded to what Sangye said, that the condition was invented by pharma companies to sell drugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no offense taken just wanted to let people know it is reality in my case
    one i could do without

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEE View Post
    belive me overactive bladder is real and not a bogus condition i have it they think it may of been caused by taking cxt for a long period or pressure from pred weight gain
    either way it can be painful and defiantely embarassing at times another thing i have to deal with on a dauly basis which i had no problem with before wg
    Dee, the symptoms of urinary urgency and incontinence are real and sometimes they need to be addressed with drugs. However, overactive bladder isn't a syndrome, it's symptoms that can be caused by a number of different things. For example, eye pain and headache aren't a syndrome, but are symptoms that can be caused by eye strain, sinus infection, Wegs, brain tumor, etc....

A pharmaceutical company invented a drug that could help with urinary incontinence and urgency in some instances. They realized there weren't enough people who really needed it for them to make a profit, and they knew people didn't want to hear ads asking if they had incontinence, so they invented the term "overactive bladder syndrome. " They try to convince everyone that it's an actual syndrome, that it's very common, that it always requires drugs to treat it, and that the drug is highly effective. None of that is true.

Like anything else, if you have these symptoms it's important to find the cause and not just take a drug to mask the symptoms. I imagine it's very difficult to live with and I'm sad that you have those symptoms. Chiropractic can be very helpful with bladder issues, since nerves control the bladder function. Several months ago I had a bladder issue that looked like neurogenic bladder (a condition where the bladder loses its nerve control so you don't have any sensation of a full bladder; opposite to your symptoms). It was easily resolved with a handful of chiropractic treatments. Had I gone to a neurologist with those symptoms they would have rung a lot of alarm bells.

Here is an excellent article from the European Urology journal that describes the issue of overactive bladder "syndrome" and the pharma hype very well.
    http://www.urosource.com/fileadmin/E...3804005226.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not advocating Big Pharma in any way, but I suffer from RLS. I was diagnosed when I was in my 20s (long before I had WG), but the only treatment for it then was quinine. I didn't like taking the quinine, so I didn't. I just stopped going to movies in theaters, as that was the circumstance where it was most likely to act up - never when my feet were elevated, only when I would sit for more than 45 minutes or so at a time without moving around. Sometimes on long drives, too. In any case, I just worked around it rather than taking drugs for it. It's really awful when it's happening (uncontrollable leg movements), but the rest of the time I don't even think about it. Since I've changed my habits to avoid having "episodes," I rarely have them anymore, and I pretty much forget about it most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sometimes a bit of a sceptic when I read some of Sangye's crusades against the pharmaceutical companies while I also know full well that they are only driven by profit. That is just one of the facts of Capitalist life. However, I support her position 100% on this one. These companies are always trying to invent socially acceptable conditions that require treatment with their drugs and never point out that there are may be a dozen possible underlying reasons for the symptoms which should be investigated first.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ScreaminMeanie, they are symptoms, not a syndrome or condition and only rarely do they require pharmaceutical treatment. Those symptoms can be caused by several things-- magnesium deficiency, vitamin B deficiency or imbalance of the various B vitamins, iron deficiency, vitamin E deficiency, circulatory stasis in the legs, imbalance of nutrients involved in calcium absorption and utilization, acid/base balance, liver stress, parasites, emotional stress, food or chemical sensitivities (MSG is a big one), spinal misalignments, nerve damage etc....

People with serious nerve damage are probably the only ones who might actually need the drug. Otherwise, this is something commonly treated and resolved by holistic docs.

Your description of having symptoms in the movie theatre and on long drives indicate that it's probably a simple circulatory issue brought on by prolonged sitting with legs low--circulatory stasis. When you're in situations like that, do periodic calf raises and rotate your ankles to keep the blood flowing before the symptoms appear. Get up and walk before symptoms hit, too. This is what's recommended for people on airplanes to avoid blood clots, which also happen due to circulatory stasis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm sometimes a bit of a sceptic when I read some of Sangye's crusades against the pharmaceutical companies while I also know full well that they are only driven by profit. That is just one of the facts of Capitalist life. However, I support her position 100% on this one. These companies are always trying to invent socially acceptable conditions that require treatment with their drugs and never point out that there are may be a dozen possible underlying reasons for the symptoms which should be investigated first.
    LOL! I don't mind being a crusader.

Holistic docs often say "If they knew what we knew, they'd do what we do." So many of our ailments (everyone's, not just Weggies) are easy to correct naturally. Very few require drugs, yet we are brainwashed into thinking the opposite-- that we should try drugs for everything first, and only go to "alternative" docs if the drugs don't work. We ignore or lose sight of the fact that the very people doing the brainwashing have enormous financial incentive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the drug companies are in it for the money for sure. It is one of their main motives. I agree with Sangye 100%. I have a friend that works as an executive for the worlds largest drug company and some of the stuff he tells me would make your blood boil. But modern mainstream medicine is about control of the population as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Yes, the drug companies are in it for the money for sure. It is one of their main motives. I agree with Sangye 100%. I have a friend that works as an executive for the worlds largest drug company and some of the stuff he tells me would make your blood boil. But modern mainstream medicine is about control of the population as well.
    Unfortunately this profit motive often interferes with what is best treatment. For example many so call senility and dementia cases in nursing homes are effectively "cured" by taking the patient off most of their meds. Many other cases can be effectively treated with vitamins and minerals supplements too but there is no money in pushing them so often the patient goes untreated or gets treated with some expensive new medicine that does little to help the patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto to that! In my practice I saw far more people who were on drugs they didn't need than people who needed to be on a drug but weren't. There were good uses for each of the drugs, but they were being doled out like lollipops by the MDs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast