Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Methotrexate side effects - when do they kick in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Screaminmeanie thanks for the insight much appreciated. I too am on 20mg. My next dose is on Wednesday night so I'll monitor how I go with that.

As for the fever etc wouldn't you know it, no fever today. That's a real shame because I bought an $80 automatic, you-beaut thermometer thingo today. Also taken advice to get the sputum test in so I got a specimen jar on the way home tonight and will see what comes up in the morning Probably the best course of action in the end so we know exactly what we're dealing with.

Had to sleep sitting up last night for most of the night. I found these awesome programs on ABC24. Really enjoyed them. Don't ask me what they were but I do remember enjoying them

First day back at work after cracking the rib today. Took it slowly and have survived better than I thought I would. Tomorrow should be ok too as half the day is taken up by a Christmas party.

Anyone know how long it takes them to do the sputum tests?
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sputum test - I think my last one took around three days.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sputum test takes around 48 hours to culture certain bacteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drinking that much water in one evening does not make me wake up to pee any more than usual (I'm a lifetime insomniac on top of being a Weggie; waking up 2-3 times a night has been normal for me my whole life). I was warned (I forget which packaging insert or manufacturer's website or doctor told me) to drink at least 2-3 quarts of fluids a day while I'm taking this. I'm not sure I'm achieving that every day, but I've learned the hard way that I have to do it at least the day of my dose or suffer the consequences. About an hour after I take the mtx, I can feel my lips start to burn from being dry. That helps to remind me to drink, drink, drink. FWIW, 4 16-oz glasses equals the 64 oz recommended daily by most nutritionists under normal circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount is fine, my question was whether it was okay to drink a full day's worth of water in the few hours between dinner and bedtime. It's okay with ctx (and necessary) but I don't know if it affects the absorption of mtx. It could be why you're having symptoms of active disease if that's the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LisaMarie I was thinking about your burning lips too, could you be allergic to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    The amount is fine, my question was whether it was okay to drink a full day's worth of water in the few hours between dinner and bedtime. It's okay with ctx (and necessary) but I don't know if it affects the absorption of mtx. It could be why you're having symptoms of active disease if that's the case.
    That is a good question, and I will bring it up with my doc next time I see her/speak to her. I know I am not just flushing it out, since it only goes in and doesn't come back out! At least not any faster than when I drink a normal amount of water between dinner and bedtime (which is 2-3 16-oz glasses). If anything, I pee less often on Friday nights than any other night of the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Interesting. What happened to the Wegs during that time? Was there any increase in disease activity?
    I had to stay on Cytoxan for the first 6 weeks I took Methotrexate so that I wouldn't flare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The doctor just switched A.J. to the injections. He can't keep the pills down any more. As soon as I take the bottle out, he is looking for the bucket! We are suppose to go this week to get trained on how to give them. The doctor says a lot of it is mental, but its certainly real to him. and to me... I have to clean it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeriorleans, I am sorry, as if you didn't have enough on your plate. How is A.J. taking to the injections?
    Jolanta

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast