Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Methotrexate side effects - when do they kick in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an interesting thought. I have examined my own ribs in some detail trying to find out what has happened and have not found anything unusual, but it is something I will check up on.

EDIT: Just been doing a bit of Googling and none of the symptoms described seem to fit with what I experience so I think it must be a partial break or tear in my case.
    Last edited by Jack; 12-11-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gwenllian111 View Post
    Hi guys

I started Meth two weeks ago, 10 mg orally. Feeling ok, but had a stinker of a cold and I think i've got a chest infection brewing. Should I be concerned if it turns into a full blown infection, ie, need to see a doctor straight away? I can't remember it's been ages since I last took Meth.

Gwen x
    Gwen, I'm highly suspicious that a chest infection 2 weeks into mtx is actually an allergic reaction to it called pneumonitis. That's the classic presentation and it usually occurs soon after starting it. It mimics pneumonia. I suggest you get it checked asap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, in reading your descriptions I've been wondering the same thing. Rib misalignments are often incredibly painful but the pain is usually adjacent to the spine or a few inches away from it. Where is it that you have pain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the occasions when I have hurt ribs, the pain has been quite mild to begin with and then built up over the first couple of days. Also it hurts at the site where the pressure was applied that caused the problem, maybe a third of the way around the rib and definitely nothing at the ends. This time I think I managed to stop before too much damage was caused because it only hurt bad for a few days and is now significantly better. In the past it has taken weeks. I can't feel any misalignments or lumps and bumps, everything feels to be in the place it belongs.

I'm just going to have to be EVEN MORE careful.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gwen -- I would say get it checked out, especially since you're on a pretty low dose of mtx. I'm not even sure that's a standard starter therapeutic dose here -- that was a one-week test dose before going to my therapeutic dose of 15 mg and then 17.5 mg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, you wouldn't be able to palpate anything out of alignment without training. But yeah, you have to be even more careful. Be particularly careful with twisting or reaching down to the side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Update: definitely getting better.

Issue is though that I feel a lot like I felt when I first left hospital 7 years ago - like I have to learn to walk and breathe at the same time. On the plus side I've only used my puffer once today rather than four or five times which has been normal. I do have an intermittent fever and loss of appetite and I'm reasonably confident that the MTX is killing me NEVER have I felt so fatigued. I slept 36 hours over the weekend and could have done with more. Just ridiculous. I called my Immunologist today (primary WG doc) and actually got an appointment for tomorrow which was cool. I think the clincher was his assistant asking me how I was and me saying "f**king terrible thanks, how are you?" She giggled and said "how's 1pm tomorrow?". I'm going to discuss either injections or going back to the Imuran and taking my chances with the Gout. Seriously I can't live like this. I have to go to work, pay bills, go out and get drunk, chase women blah blah blah.

My cough is much less productive now. Just an annoying 'tickle' causing a mostly-dry cough now. I think as soon as the congestion in my chest clears I'll feel a bit better breath-wise. The lungs also seem to respond well to moderate (and I mean moderate) exercise too which is heartening. The lung function test in Jan/Feb will assist too I'm sure. Still, the breathing issue is a very disconcerting thing and I sometimes wonder if it's my mind playing tricks on me particularly when I'm sitting in the dark at 3am wondering why I'm out of breath when I've just been sleeping. It'll be the sleep apnea but telling myself that at 3am just doesn't seem to sink in LOL!

On the whole though I'm 100% on a week ago and 500% on two weeks ago. One other positive thing is that I've been forced to take things slowly which is actually a blessing and at times quite liberating.

All in all I don't need to go to the glue factory just yet....
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well maybe out to the pasture for a bit, eh? Oh how I hated the little tickle dry unending chocking cough. It would strike in most inoportune moments.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    Well maybe out to the pasture for a bit, eh? Oh how I hated the little tickle dry unending chocking cough. It would strike in most inoportune moments.
    LOL yeah. I went out to get some dinner the other night. As soon as I tried to order I had a coughing fit. Had to step aside and let others order while I had my seizure
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL mmmm brings so many memories
    Jolanta

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast