Thread: H1N1 - the girl who kicked the hornet's nest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default H1N1 - the girl who kicked the hornet's nest

Here goes.

Based on a comment by Sangye about the my liver enzyme issues, I've been thinking about a commonality between when I first got sick and this latest flare. My life right now is very very very different from before I got sick. I have come up with only one thing that is the same. H1N1. Arrrrgh!!!!

I think vaccines are OK (they have brought our society out of the dark ages - when done properly), flu shots I've never considered and thought of only as something for old people and sick people (of which I am one now) but the H1N1 Global Chicken Little knee jerk reaction really got my goat last year. Every fibre in my being told me it was wrong, but after months of abstaining, I got guilted by society into giving it to my daughter. I thought it would be very irresponsible parenting of me to give her something I don't believe in and not get it myself, so we went in and got the damn shot.

I just went in and checked when I got it with our Health Unit, and it was two months before my symptoms appeared. I just had a flu shot on October 14 (in which they are sneaking the h1N1 vaccine) and started getting symptoms two days after which have lead into this horrid flare. On a side note, I just got a call from my doc telling me to stop the cyclophosphamide as my liver enzymes are now in the high 300's for ggt and 150 for alt. So no WG treatment for me as of today. I'm totally bummed, but I'm straying.

So any of you newly diagnosed Weggies get the H1N1 shot before getting the WG speach by your diagnosing doctor? Just curious.

I remember sitting on my couch after getting the shot in November last year thinking that this is a life changing day. I had eventually dismissed that thought until I remembered it a few days ago after making the connection based on Sangye's comment about something triggering the liver enzymes that might also be triggering the Wegs.

H1N1 Hornet Nest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I ever got the H1N1 before being dx, at least as I can remember as an adult and going back to probably when I was 7 to 10 or so. I did get the flu shot once in 2004 after seeing my new Rheumy. She was quite adamant about me getting it, so I went and got it.

Marta, again I am worrying about you. Please just have your local doc contact my docs office to see what might be possible.

3. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the shot last year but cant this year the steriods are to high of a dose still. No vacs for me til they get down by half at least. I remember feeling not well a few days after more tired than anything. I got it after the dxds. Never had one before. My doc told me if he did it I would most likely get it bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no reactions to flu or H1N1 shot. I never use to get the flu shot. First Flu shot was two years ago after diagnosis of WG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't taken any vaccinations since I was in the Peace Corps in the late 80's, when we were loaded up full of vaccinations in a very short time. I had a reaction to the typhoid vaccine within a few hours. During my 2 years in the Peace Corps we had to have further vaccinations. My WHO vaccine booklet that I've had since childhood actually has pages stapled into it, all due to just 2 years.

My immune system was always very strong but never again had the same resilience once I got home. It was a concern to me for the entire 17 years preceding my first Wegs symptoms. In my case I think the vaccines got the ball rolling and other toxic exposures put me over the edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an H1N1 and seasonal flu last year two months before dx and I gave over 100 vacinations to other health care workers in that time frame, including the nasal spray which was live virus. I always get a flu vaccine, except for this year... it just feels wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always have the seasonal flu shot and also had H1N1 last year and this (combined) with no reaction whatsoever. However, I did have a bunch of vaccines a couple of months before I had my first symptoms since I was going to work abroad and it was a condition of my work's insurance. I also then went on to swim in what I believe to be polluted sea water in the bay where I was staying.

The trouble is that each of us is grasping at a reason for getting this disease. For some it coincides with vaccines (to be expected because they are so common) and for others it is pollution (to be expected because it is so common ). I think that if there was some simple mechanism linking an action with the onset of the disease it would have been noticed by now.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think that if there was some simple mechanism linking an action with the onset of the disease it would have been noticed by now.
    Not necessarily. While my holistic docs have always immediately asked about prior infections, toxins (including vaccines) and food sensitivities, my medical docs have only asked about infections. I've even told the MDs my history and they shrug it off (literally). They deliberately ignore it and it doesn't even appear in the clinic notes along with my other spoken history.

If they're not asking, the answer won't magically surface especially since the connections are not always apparent to the patient.

Look at the 3 examples in this thread: Marta, Lightwarrior and Jack-- all 3 had vaccines 2 months before their first symptoms appeared.
    Last edited by Sangye; 11-22-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, it is true...look how long it took many of us to finally get diagnosed, because the doctors did not connect the dots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that the vaccine gave us Wegeners, most of us had symptons for a long time before we were diagnosed. I think it is possible that the vaccine may have been the trigger that kicked Wegs into high gear.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast