Likes Likes:  3
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: H1N1 - the girl who kicked the hornet's nest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was waiting for you to correct this Sangye. My friend does not think it needed correcting. Thank you.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The study claiming the flu shot increases the risk of Alzheimer's by 10 times was later shown to be false or falsified, I don't remember which.
    Funny...sorry...hehe...carry on...
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Look at the story of Bactrim and WG relapse- direct observation by a practicing physician. I had the great pleasure of meeting him and hearing the story in Kansas City at one of the WG symposiums. The mechanism is still not understood but the fact is that staph infection is very likely to cause WG relapse.
    me2, what is this story ?
    thank you, Phil, for sharing, and Sangye for commenting.
    Last edited by Alysia; 10-15-2013 at 02:30 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    me2, what is this story ?
    thank you, Phil, for sharing, and Sangye for commenting.
    Good stuff here as usual.
    The story about Bactrim is that Dr DeRemee had a patient present with kidney infection AND Wegener's. Well, if you treat with immunosuppresants first your patient dies from kidney infection. So, he had to treat the kidney infection first and then move on to the Wegener's. Well, he treated the kidney infection and the Wegener's cleared up. Being very astute he realized that Wegener's does not just go away and became curious as to what had just happened.
    There was some excitement that Bactrim could even become a first line of defense for Wegener's since it worked this one particular time.
    Later studies showed it to not be effective as a first line of treatment but that there was a high correlation between staph infection and relapse. Bactrim is a good drug for staph.
    This is how the practice of prophylactic use of Bactrim came into being. Using Bactrim is less dangerous than getting a staph induced Wegener's relapse.

I was most inspired that just one guy with observation of one patient could lead to such an advance in our understanding. We can all be observant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Funny...sorry...hehe...carry on...
    So if I don't remember getting a flu shot then the odds are ten to one that I got one? hahaha We gotta find humor where we can

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks me2. intersting story. in my first year of WG, my wg-doc treated me only with bactrin and pred. only later when things deteriorated he added more heavy meds.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678