Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapering Cytoxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a reply from my secondary Rheumy at Stanfords. Typically cytoxan is used at 2 mg/kg orally for 3 months. Then for 3-6 months, the dose is lowered to 1.5mg/kg and imuran is added; then imuran is continued for 3 more months at 1.5-2mg/kg before then tapering over 6-12 months. The final taper regimen is highly variable and is really an art.

I believe this is the European regimen that he quotes. He always talks about it when he sees me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flana View Post
    Here's a reply from my secondary Rheumy at Stanfords. Typically cytoxan is used at 2 mg/kg orally for 3 months. Then for 3-6 months, the dose is lowered to 1.5mg/kg and imuran is added; then imuran is continued for 3 more months at 1.5-2mg/kg before then tapering over 6-12 months. The final taper regimen is highly variable and is really an art.

I believe this is the European regimen that he quotes. He always talks about it when he sees me.
    Thanks for posting this. It gives a reasonable basis on what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think that European standards seem to vary from American and Canadian ones; at least that's what I was hearing at the conference. It's true, as Sangye says it doesn't really make logical sense -- the ctx is not working below a certain dose anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there was discussion on this previously, but is there a difference between Cytoxan Infusions VS pill form? Is one more toxic than the other? Is one used for a longer period of time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I think there was discussion on this previously, but is there a difference between Cytoxan Infusions VS pill form? Is one more toxic than the other? Is one used for a longer period of time?
    I was put on pill form because of concern about reactions or side effects from IV form. They said it was easier to monitor side effects and adjust than IV form. It seemed logical because the IV form will contain a lot more of the drug since you don't take it every day like pill form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oral ctx is more effective than IV. The point that drz raises about the ability to change the dose is huge. Last year I had to stop ctx because it was stressing my bone marrow. If we'd used the IV form, it could have been a real mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes, sounds like the pill form would be easier to take since they can adjust dosing better. Are the side effects still the same? Possible bladder cancer? Is this only if used for a long period of time or would using it for a short period of time be "ok."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same side effects and risk of cancer. It's chemo. The shorter the duration of use, the better, but the risks are still there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Cytoxan there seem to be several options. What are the advantages or disadvantages of the various drugs and how does the rheumatologist decide which one to use for you? I will be switching to something else in the next month or two.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast