Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Access to hospitals and clinics and insurance coverage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people in managerial positions have health insurance as part of their remuneration package, others (like me when first ill) just pay out of their own pocket to see a doctor without having to wait. Or you can pay for an insurance policy yourself , usually on a monthly basis, but they are reluctant to cover existing conditions. The problem is that your treatment must be wholly NHS financed or privately financed. You are not allowed to mix the two even though the same doctor and even the same hospital may be involved. This is supposed to prevent the situation arising of two people in adjacent beds receiving different standards of treatment.

If for some reason the NHS system is unable to offer the treatment you require, the system will pay for you to be seen in a private hospital even if it is in France!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your last sentence is beyond what I can even imagine. We are so far from having that kind of social conscience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh but for all the discussion and fears that are placed into people's minds to prevent development of a socialized medicine. Many articles I read discuss the levels of care that we recieve in the U.S... IT also mentions frequently how we are wholly inefficient with the same kind of medical care that we provide. I know having been off work and then only working part-time that healthcare is very expensive.. The policy I have now is cobra'd (that means I pay insurance after I quit a job for up to 18 months) and a pretty base insurance, I pay abit over $400/mo. The the deductible is $5000.. So needless to say - many small bites ($200-500) for treatments (xrays, etc) and care. But it would not cover my Rutuxamab - the company that makes it - gave it to me for charity - when I had been making little money after 6 months of inability to work FT and that was CLOSE to not getting it. Dr Abdou - argued and helped greatly. The bad/good thing is the drug worked almost immediately - GOOD that it worked so well; BAD is that when I need it again - I will be working close to or FT again and may not get the drug through Insurance and will not qualify for their charity... Ahh what a twisted web we weave.. that I must be almost destitute ( i do live simply), considering that I may need to sell items to live to get help... and when I am healthy and able to work from treatment - I cannot afford to continue... Almost puts a smile on your face from the irony...
    Last edited by Nancy; 11-08-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: slow brain faster fingers. : )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12