Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Under 20's Section?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own view on this is that a young person's section would probably not get used very much and if it did it would not operate as intended. Trying to guess what is acceptable to teenagers is a losing game and the fact that none have replied to this thread that (as far as I'm aware) is probably some indication of the level of interest.
    As for imposing rules and regulations, this is the best self regulated site I have ever used and it would be nice to keep it that way.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a under 25s sections sounds like a good idea! Though it doesn't seem like there is very many of us and so I don't know how much it's going to get used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My reason for suggesting a no-intruders policy was to give the younger members their own space, not to "police" anyone. My experience with teens is that they aren't likely to use something like that if they think older members are going to constantly butt in and give their opinions. What would be the point? You might as well just start a regular thread like the one we did a few weeks ago, where older members couldn't resist taking it over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If an under 25's section isn't popular enough, maybe there is a way to make it easier to find other members by age? 'Cause right now I find it very hard to figure out how old people are, and therefore hard to find others my age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Sangye -- if there is a young person's thread, I do think it would have to carry a rule that no one over a certain age could participate -- not even to say "You go!" or whatever us 'olds' say that we think is hip ;-).

I think the 'youngs' deserve their own space. There issues are quite different than someone like me who came to this midlife, already well established professionally with a spouse and kids of my own, and at a time, when, let's face it, you have often encountered peers who have faced down their own serious, life threatening illnesses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the real test is to create the section and see how it goes after a month or two. I can't see that there is anything to be lost by trying.

Andrew?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking that, too. "Build it and they will come." Or not!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if the thread is created I would be tempted to at least read it and maybe sometimes contact some of the youngsters by e-mail or private message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there's anything wrong with reading it or contacting them privately in regards to it. To me the issue was not to intrude on their back and forth conversations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Sangye, but also I don't even think that anyone should interfere. The young have a language of their own and will feel better being able to express themselves freely without us gramps intervening. So "paws off" should apply. No "talking" unless invited by the youngsers to do so. Peeking permitted - but no voice
    Jolanta

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast