Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organ and tissue donation???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Organ and tissue donation???

I have registered as an oran donor but now I have Wegeners are any of my parts OK to donate? Just think it would easier on family if I found this out. I will contact the organ donor organisation too to find out but it might be useful if we all knew where we stood on this issue. I presume we can't give any form of blood donation. Carol Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Wegener's is a systemic disease that can affect almost all organs, I'm afraid that you can no longer donate. At least, this is the case in the UK. An alternative that I have looked into is perhaps donating your body to medical science, but be aware that this must be arranged with a teaching hospital well before the event.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack is right, we can't donate for two reasons WG being a system disease and all the meds that we have been on can cause long term effects on our body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, no one wants our organs and tissues. They've been subjected to chemo, and it wouldn't be good to pass on tissue from someone with a rare, incurable disease of unknown origin.

I like how Jack refers to death as an "event." We could have balloons and cake, and Marta could make t-shirts from the pictures.
    Last edited by Sangye; 10-17-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I like how Jack refers to death as an "event." We could have balloons and cake, and Marta could make t-shirts from the pictures.
    I've got a camcorder with some editing software...can anyone supply some self standing lighting??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it will be an "Event" in my life, but Sangye is probably used to it by now!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! Yeah, a little! For Buddhists it's a major event. We don't sell tickets or anything, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies Carol for being flippant but my humour (black as it is) I count as a defense system against WG. My wife gets livid when I joke with the docs in hospital. Getting back on topic...I used to be a regular Blood Donor (being a rare group I was often 'requested' by the authorities) and on my Dx for WG i asked them if I could still donate. It took them a while to cross reference everything but they finally came back with a solid NO THANKS.
    I guess it follows that if they wont take the blood then.....

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I've got a camcorder with some editing software...can anyone supply some self standing lighting??
    Erm, ...use the light at the end of the tunnel?

I will spare the Christian point of view, but note that I agree with Jack and Sangye on "event". It's nothing to fear, and, when the time comes, it may even be something to embrace with gratefulness: "It is done!"

I personally find you gallows humor to my tastes, Geoff. It does sort out those who can't handle the inevitable and those who've arrived at a reasonable acceptance.
    Last edited by Doug; 10-17-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast