Thread: Nose biopsy, I'm nervous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nose biopsy, I'm nervous!

Hi guys,

I'm going in for my first ever nose biopsy on Wednesday (13th October) and it will be done under local anaesthetic.
    I've had ear biopsies done before but that was under general anaesthetic...

I am extremely nervous about this, I know it's not really a "big deal" but for me, personally, it is, and I'm scared! :/

I was just wondering how it was for you guys that have had it done?
    How did they do it?
    Did it hurt much while they were doing it / afterwards?
    How far "up" do they usually go?

Please tell me about your own experiences so I can get an idea of what to expect!

/Malin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone can tell you the answer to this one because they are all so different depending on the area they are taking biopsy from. I have had two -

The first was using local anaesthetic paste and was nothing more than a brief tweak from quite high in my nose.

The second was under general anaesthetic and was from the sinus area. I came round in the recovery room with nurses mopping blood from the floor and calling for the surgeon to come back! I spent the next two days in hospital.

Since yours is using local, I would expect your experience to be more like the first description, but I like to include the more dramatic experience too. It makes a more interesting story.
    Last edited by Jack; 10-11-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had four maxillary sinus surgeries and I was under for all of them. Like Jack I too one time only experienced blood all over ( that was a more extensive surgery removing tissue and bone)and stayed in hospital one night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive had it done twice for biopsy and putting in splints and once for biopsy alone alll done under general and over nught stays
    not painful and only slight nose bleeds

Doug Guest

The ENT doctor took her sample when I was knocked out for my lung biopsy. Like Jack said, there is no one way this happens, malin. I was such a mess at the time that I suspect they had me on some pretty stout painkiller: I have no recollection of pain associated with the biopsy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In these situations I always tell myself that they are not going to do anything that others have not been through in the past and if it was unbearable they would have found a better way. In general, I always get along better with local anaesthetic rather than general. There is usually no pain involved and you don't have that horrible recovery period.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck for this wednesday Malin,
    I dont know if you are contemplating driving yourself there but without knowing all the details I would suggest getting a lift or taxi if you can.
    Good Luck and keep us informed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first question I ask is why do they want to do a nose biopsy?

Don't you already have a firm diagnosis of Wegs?

My ENT told me that he would not do any surgery on nose or sinuses unless it was absolutely neccessary for survival because and cutting in nose can cause the Wegs to flare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies!

Geoff, my fiance will be driving me there and then picking me up later, so no worries there!

pberg, Yes I do have a firm diagnosis, with no changes to symptoms or anything like that during my whole WG "experience", even though I have had flares, they have never caused any "damage", just fatigue, joint pains and so on.

My ENT doc said he didn't think it was neccesary at all but since my rheumy was so adamant I have it, he agreed to do it.
    Actually, ENT doc said that I've got the best sinuses he's ever seen in a WG patient!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malin, there's no way I'd allow them to do a biopsy in that case. The #1 question to ask before doing any diagnostic procedure is "How will the results change the treatment course?" With a firm dx of Wegs already, it won't. This is pointless.

The 2nd question to ask is "Do the risks outweigh the benefits?" In this case they don't, since there is absolutely no benefit in doing a biopsy in a well-confirmed case. Also, since your sinuses look great, the chances of getting a (+) biopsy are extremely low.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast