Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Myforic questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Myforic questions

I can't find any info here about myforic? Carter had a reaction to Cellcept ( of course he did, my poor baby reacts to everything) so the just gave me Myforic to try. They are starting him on 180 mg 2X a day. Dr. said this should have less GI side effects. Does anyone take this, or know anything about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myfortic is cellcept but it's not suppose to hurt the stomach so much. What kind of reaction did your son have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Myfortic

My son, Joshua (age 16) did not tolerate Myfortic at all. Symptoms started in Dec 09 and it wasn't until March or April this year that they figured out the cause was Myfortic. Terrible GI issues. Gagging, throwing up. Severe anemia. Josh switched over to Immuran and (knock on wood) is tolerating this drug very well. I know of one other child that couldn't tolerate Myfortic also. I think it varies depending on the person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very hit-and-miss with Cellcept. It gave me diarrhea, but I could live with it. Some people get it so much worse, like Dee-- no way to stay on it in that case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carter got terriible diarrhea and stomach cramps immediately, with the starter dose of 250 mg 2x a day. He couldn't go to school because he spent the day in the bathroom doubled over. The switched him to the myforic because they think it will be easier on his tummy. Today was his first dose, and im keeping my fingers crossed. Is immuran the same type of drug, with less side effects?? I wonder if that might be a better choice??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope it goes well for him. Imuran is chemo-- much lower dose than cytoxan but still chemo. Like any of our drugs, the side effects really vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, Sorry im still learning...is myforic a chemo too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries... Myfortic is not chemo. It's in the class of targeted therapies. It specifically targets the B cells (the WBCs that are associated with Wegs) and reduces their population.

Chemo drugs (ctx, methotrexate, imuran) are cytotoxic (cell-killing) and work by killing rapidly dividing cells like blood, hair, gonadal and some cells in the immune system.

Rituximab is a biologic agent-- a genetically-engineered antibody that selectively binds to B cells and destroys them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fingers crossed i changed from Cellcept to Imuran and things seem t o be better sh sh !
    can understand what was said about reaction the stomach pain was worse than been in early stage of labour
    when i first explian this to my wg consult he smiled and said he had never heard it described like that
    still get slight diarahoea (sp) but not sure if Imran or Warfarin course it
    was alittle disappointed that ive had to take the lower dose chemo route
    but will accept it sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed from Cellcept to Myfortic in an attempt to reduce the diarrhoea problems I was having, but very little changed. It is the same drug as Cellcept, but in a coated, slow release form that bypasses the stomach before it begins to dissolve. I've been taking it since it was first available for trial and it seems to have few other side effects.
    Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast