Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubiquinone/CoQ10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ubiquinone/CoQ10

Has anyone used ubiquinone to try to lower blood pressure and heal kidneys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had never heard of this drug before I Googled it and I must say that I would now steer well clear of it! I would not think that its affect on Wegener's has ever been evaluated and neither it's interaction with the drug cocktail most of us take. I would not want to be the first Guinea pig.

"What is the most important information I should know about ubiquinone?
    Ubiquinone has not been approved by the FDA to treat any disease, and it should not be substituted for prescription medications. Ubiquinone has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of this product may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds. Some marketed herbal supplements have been found to be contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination "

Sangye will probably now come along and tell me that it is great stuff!

Last edited by Jack; 09-20-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, I'm sure Sangye will come in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the standard US warning on most (all?) herbals.

I don't know what to make of most of this stuff so tend to stay away, and luckily have had success with conventional pharmaceuticals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are probably right, I would not claim that I did extensive research!

The standard drug for lowering blood pressure and protecting kidney function is something like Ramapril - an ACE inhibitor. I took this for many years and in my case it seemed to be free from side effects so no reason to explore alternatives.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading an article in the Cleveland Clinic medical journal and they did a study on CoQ10...they did say that it decreased peoples blood pressure by 5-15 points but didn't significantly reduce the diastolic pressure. They also warned if you were taking any kind of blood thinner medicines it can increase bleeding. It does something with the platelets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I had never heard of this drug before I Googled it and I must say that I would now steer well clear of it! I would not think that its affect on Wegener's has ever been evaluated and neither it's interaction with the drug cocktail most of us take. I would not want to be the first Guinea pig.

"What is the most important information I should know about ubiquinone?
    Ubiquinone has not been approved by the FDA to treat any disease, and it should not be substituted for prescription medications. Ubiquinone has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of this product may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds. Some marketed herbal supplements have been found to be contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination "

Sangye will probably now come along and tell me that it is great stuff!

CoQ10 is an enzyme co-factor that's necessary for cell function. Your body makes almost 100% of its energy using it. So good luck avoiding it!

Jan is right-- that warning label is standard. It's also completely misleading, as it makes people think that FDA-approved drugs are safer than nutritional supplements. If that's the case, why are so many FDA-approved drugs suddenly taken off the market due to safety concerns? And why are so many drugs that have been in use suddenly given "black-box" warnings (eg Cellcept for PML, levaquin and cipro for tendon ruptures)? The statement "All potential risks and/or advantages of this product may not be known" sure applies to pharmaceutical drugs.

It's criminal that the pharmaceutical companies and the medical profession have so misled consumers, that they now fear natural remedies and think chemical ones are the safer choice. The truth is there are not thousands of people dying or being damaged by nutritional supplements every month, like is true for drugs. And there are excellent companies who test their products using the same or higher standards than pharmaceutical companies.

You won't hurt yourself with CoQ10, though I recommend you see a holistic physician for a good quality brand and guidance with dosing. Some of the over-the-counter brands are unnecessarily expensive. There are more studies on its use with hypertension that demonstrate significant decreases in both systolic and diastolic pressures. Also, if you take beta blockers they deplete CoQ10 so you should supplement it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am all for natural supplements and remedies, have used them and will use them but just as with other drugs, stringent national guidlines and testing is necessary. To be able to support claims like FDA approved drugs, same type of controlled and repeatable experiments must be carried out. For example it was not thru trial and error but thru dilligent patient studies that were proven and published that wegs coctail of cyclo and pred was born. Other drugs followed and will follow but ALL are tested and controlled and regulated. The natural medicines must get together and start to implement the same approach to natural medicines as with pharmaceuticals to gain governments and peoples trust. I for one would welcome natural preventative medicines that would help in creating a barrier against diseases. In the long run medicine and governments would benefit from less money being spent on treating diseases if they could be prevented from happening in the first place.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Your body makes almost 100% of its energy using it. So good luck avoiding it!
    That would explain why I'm always asleep then!

Jolanta - I agree entirely. I'm convinced that some of the more natural remedies have a great deal to offer, but I am put off by the lack of stringent testing and production control measures. You can never be quite sure what you are getting. There is probably a great deal of supporting evidence out there for some of the remedies and supplements, but this needs to be pulled together by some sort of official body and then incorporated into the "main stream" of medication.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sangye for the information, I should take the CoQ10 supplement because I am on a beta blocker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jolanta, that sounds good in theory, but the truth is that if national mandates for research are put into place it would be the end of nutritional supplements. Who has the money for that research? Where is the source of such unification? It doesn't exist. And you can't trademark nutrients the way pharmaceutical drugs are.

I'd like to see requirements for supplements to contain what they claim to contain, but beyond that, it's not a pretty picture.

Most people don't realize there are already quite restricting controls on supplements. For example, you can't say a supplement is good for the flu (prevention or treatment), even when there is abundant research demonstrating it. Vitamin D is one example of this. Dr Andrew Weil got smacked by the FDA last year for having the audacity to say on his website that vitamin D is good for flu. You would've thought the sky fell down. There was a lot of pressure to sell flu vaccines last year and he was interfering with those sales.

Amazingly, MDs can prescribe a drug "off-label" when there is ZERO testing for that use. An example of this lunacy is cytotec-- a synthetic prostaglandin that's approved for preventing stomach ulcers. Doctors are using it to stimulate labor, even though it has a very high rate of causing uterine rupture. There's no testing required for them to try it out like this. It's literally killing women and infants, but it's legal. Many women are having to undergo hysterectomies after giving birth because their uterus was so damaged by the drug. Or they can't give birth again, etc.... There are long lists of examples like this.

I find it incredible that we're equating such risks with vitamin C and aloe vera juice. Fear is an effective way of controlling people. Follow the money, as they say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast