User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Difficulty taking meds/hate taking them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Difficulty taking meds/hate taking them?

Hi,

I used to have biiiig problems taking my medication because I had huge problems swallowing pills (mentally, nothing wrong with my actual swallowing!)
    My biggest issue was with my pred tablets because the ones that don't have a "coating" taste vile as soon as they hit your mouth, so I came up with my own solution! I used to roll my tablets into bits of really really thin sliced ham or cheese and swallow it down with milk! It would just "glide" down easier that way.

I have now moved on and am proud to say I can swallow all sorts of tablets "the natural way" now! lol

Anyway, there is still one med that I have a problem with, my calcium supplements, I have the "fizzy" dissolvable ones? I absolutely HATE them, and I can't stand the chewy ones either. So, any ideas what I could do to make taking the calcium easier? Are there calcium tablets which you can just swallow like "normal" tablets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malin, here in Canada, and I'm sure the US as well, we have Calcium combo tablets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malin my sister has that trouble...she cant even swallow a quarter of a M&M, lol. I'll be passing on your experience to her and hope she can cope better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malin, there are lots of different types of calcium pills. Go to a health food store for a variety.

There are a couple of tricks to swallowing pills, for those who have trouble.
    1) Capsules float. If you put it on the back of your tongue and drink, it'll float to the front of your mouth! Instead, put it in the front of your mouth and take a sip of water. Keep your head tilted a little forward and the capsule will float up and back down your throat. Just as it's headed down your throat, lift your head to looking straight ahead.

2) For non-capsules, put them on the back of your tongue and drink water. Just when you're about to swallow, expand the back of your throat as if you're going to yawn. This allows you to swallow larger pills without a problem.

I don't have trouble swallowing pills. I can pop a big handful in my mouth and swallow them with just a little sip of water. Good skill to have with Wegs!

Doug Guest

Like Sangye, I am a real trooper when it comes to swallowing pills, with a personal best being 13 pills at a time. I have found a small sip of carbonated water sometimes speeds the process with the capsules and nasty small pills like Prednisone, though I used to slam those back like a trooper with mostly plain water. I discovered the carbonated water trick after herpes zoster caused some nerve damage on the right side of my face, including my tongue. Swallowing is more a conscious effort these days, though largely back to where it needs to be.