User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many here will admit to having had a steriod induce psychosis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How many here will admit to having had a steriod induce psychosis?

I was wondering how many will admit to having had a psychosis from taking large dosages of steroids like prednisone or Solemedrol. People often don't remember these states but sometimes they can be rather funny. And sometimes upsetting to family who don't understand what is happening to their loved one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I can remember ever flipping out while on Pred but then again Pred seems to affect the memory as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a bit more trouble controlling my emotions, but nothing to the extent that it would require treatment. In fact, the effect may just be due to the years of stress handling the disease.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll admit to being much more emotional while on high doses of Pred. I'm usually a 'rock' and I seem to cry at the drop of a hat now... and can get angry pretty fast, but also get over it pretty fast... but nothing myself or anyone around me would label out of control in any way...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much a ticking time bomb, unfortunately. I'm an absolute pain the butt for my family to deal with at times right now. The weird part is I'll flip out and the whole time part of my mind is thinking "what in the world are you mad about??"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi DRZ,

I recall when I was first in hospital, having high doses of pred intravenously at odd hours through the day and night being totally fixated as to when my next 'fix' was arriving! After the sick, coma like existence I had found myself in before DX, I was so high that I could have run home down the motorway and set off all the speed cameras! Currently only on 5mg but feeling like my brain has been chewed. Like you Phil, I believe my memory has gotten very poor, but I cant remember when this first started. (sorry)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychosis is very different from the usual mood changes that high dose pred causes. It means losing touch with reality--hallucinations, delusions, etc.... Steroid-induced psychosis is not that common.

When I was initially on 1,000 mg IV solumedrol, I was aware of extreme agitation and racing mind. I could go from elated to crying instantly. That continued until I got down to around 25 mg pred I think. Not psychosis, but scary enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Psychosis is very different from the usual mood changes that high dose pred causes. It means losing touch with reality--hallucinations, delusions, etc.... Steroid-induced psychosis is not that common.

When I was initially on 1,000 mg IV solumedrol, I was aware of extreme agitation and racing mind. I could go from elated to crying instantly. That continued until I got down to around 25 mg pred I think. Not psychosis, but scary enough!
    How long were you on those high dosages? In my hospital they said it happened a lot at those high dosages. With mania patients became grandiose or rather paranoid. Sort of like being drunk, some became very happy and some became angry and paranoid. The staff were very good a working with patients in either state but found the happy ones more fun, especially when they could joke with them after the psychotic delusions had faded.

At lower dosages like 50-60 and under they talk about impatience being a common side effect of prednisone. That doesn't seem fair since Wegener's seems all about learning patience at least in our recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on 1,000 mg for 3 days, then down to 60mg and tapered from there over the course of 7-8 months.

Mania is very different from psychosis, though someone could have both at the same time.

I agree with you about the impatience thing. Makes the whole situation much more difficult when you have to take a drug that causes impatience, anger, anxiety and depression!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    I'm pretty much a ticking time bomb, unfortunately. I'm an absolute pain the butt for my family to deal with at times right now. The weird part is I'll flip out and the whole time part of my mind is thinking "what in the world are you mad about??"
    That sounds a lot like PMS Psyborg, from what I remember before the days of cyclophosphamide.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast