Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To everyone **PLEASE READ**

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug,

Point well taken. Sexy black cane it will be then. Right now I only have a purple one with white dots that my partner's grandmother used. Resisting getting a nice one is just stupid, anyway cane is too short.

It helps to think that I might now need it forever.
    Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack,

I am also displeased that I cannot wear my heels. I knew I was vane, but didn't realize how much until this started.

Well I'll worry about vanity another day, today I am still dealing with the cane!!!!!
    Shannon

Doug Guest

The vanity issue! I bet very few of us can say it didn't hit us at some point, whether the Prednisone moonface (for those of us so afflicted, now, or in the past), the cane, the hair loss, whatever it was that got to us. I had to take several falls before I realized I was an idiot who needed to use a cane before he really hurt himself! The falls weren't the hard part: getting up with any grace or dignity was. Talk about dealing with vanity issues then! It reminded me of when a cat accidentally gets wet, then shakes it off with a "No, I really meant to get wet!" sort of swagger, all the time thinking "I hope the dog didn't see that!" You most likely won't need a cane forever. But, if you do, make it part of your remarkable adjustment to a debilitating, life threatening disease, not a reason people should pity you. It's all in how you present yourself to the public. Humor helped me get through the worst of it. Once I could find the humor in the worst of circumstances, things started falling into perspective. "...and that, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is why you should find my client, Mr. X, innocent!" WHACK! (the sound of your cane striking the rail on the jury box, for emphasis and to wake up that juror in the back row who threatens to be the only one holding out for guilty) Haw!

p.s. A proper fitting cane helps you make the adjustment because you are less conscious of it. I used one that was too long for me for a while. It was a beautifully carved one that I liked to look at, if not use. It was uncomfortable, made my arm joints sore to use. Then I bought one of the notorious medical supply store aluminum canes, which, significantly, can be adjusted up or down to better fit your height. It works very well for those times I need it.
    Last edited by Doug; 05-02-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Shannon, how I hear you about the high heels. I had to say goodby to them over 2 years ago and now wear old fuddy duddy shoes nothing else fits because of my "gimpy" feet. I have been to all the shoes stores around, everytime I travel to the states I look for nice wide and deep shoes. They just don't make them, if they do its your regular Dr. Sholls type. Even Clarks are not wide enough. How hard is it for manufacturers to give us nice shoes, surely if you can make one you can make the other. I look forward to the day that I can find Manolos that fit me (he he he)if you find a brand that fits tell me please.
    I used a cane for 6 months, now I keep it in the car just in case. I also take it when I travel and play it all its worth
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

Unhappy To cane or not to cane, that's not to question!

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    Oh Shannon, how I hear you about the high heels. I had to say goodby to them over 2 years ago and now wear old fuddy duddy shoes nothing else fits because of my "gimpy" feet. I have been to all the shoes stores around, everytime I travel to the states I look for nice wide and deep shoes. They just don't make them, if they do its your regular Dr. Sholls type. Even Clarks are not wide enough. How hard is it for manufacturers to give us nice shoes, surely if you can make one you can make the other. I look forward to the day that I can find Manolos that fit me (he he he)if you find a brand that fits tell me please.
    I used a cane for 6 months, now I keep it in the car just in case. I also take it when I travel and play it all its worth
    (Good for you, Jolanta, though I shouldn't encourage that behavior! Ha! The reality is, if you are traveling by plane, you do a lot of rushing. Even if you don't need a cane for normal walking, in a rush you may be taking risks: follow Jolanta's "bad example"! A fall when you are on a vacation or business trip just isn't the thing you want to risk.)

Doug Guest

Unhappy To cane or not to cane, that's not to question!

(Good for you, Jolanta! Even if you can walk well without a cane, rushing around in an airport, you may find yourself talking a fall unless you have the cane. Not the sort of thing you need on a business or vacation trip.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mate of mine uses a cane whenever he goes on holidays. Has absolutely no need for it but uses it to get to the front of queues and get good seats on planes. It's collapsible. I'm going to booby trap it next time so that when he leans on it, it'll fall apart Almost worked last time
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default welcome shannon

You might not think so right now, but you will have better days.
    I like to come to this site just to see what everyone has to talk about.
    Even if I don't participate, I feel better just reading positive thoughts and knowing I'm not alone with this disease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug, that is precisely why I take the cane along. Rushing around the airports makes my hips hurt and feet to go even more numb than normal, and i don't relish broken bones at this stage. So the cane is both a physical need and a prop (pun intended)
    but should Manolo produce shoes I can wear oh boy would I wear them.

Andrew, my cane is collapsible, the one with push holes. I'll make sure you never get near it though now that I know
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Andrew, my cane is collapsible, the one with push holes. I'll make sure you never get near it though now that I know
    Who?? Me?? Perish the thought
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast