Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The new member of our fam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Oooooh wonderful, as I said revenge is sweet.

Jim
    ...Besides, Jim, that way I could have free music at my funeral. What do you think--I could go out to "76 Trombones" played on the harp? Or "When the Saints..."?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ediee is a spazz

WP_000019.jpgif you look hes climing under the fence. WP_000030.jpghes in lex suitecase hers going bye bye..WP_000045.jpgmy moms minnie teacup poodle named sabrina.
    "My daughter is closer to me than my skin.. she is the arteries to my heart.. she is my life line.. The reason I breathe.."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Congrats, Lightwarrior! So your great-grandchild and Al's grandchild will be close to the same age. Best wishes to the mother and child for a smooth and easy delivery.
    Yes...I suppose they will and I think Al should give them both drum lessons...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Jim, I fully admit to being surly (and maybe even proudly so), not to mention crotchety, cantankerous, ornery, irascible, gruff, churlish, crabby, cranky, and sometimes even uncivil

Al
    I have a sneaky feeling that under that surly, crotchety, cantankerous, ornery, irascible, gruff, churlish, crabby, cranky and uncivil exterior beats a heart of pure gold. I'll bet too that a big hug-able teddy bear is a better description than an old mean smelly goat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so Al, I have not previously given my own funeral much thought. BUT, you have given me my first request. I really like the idea of making my daughters play "76 Trombones", (played in any fashion,) at my own funeral. Very fitting for my current epitaph!!

Many Thanks!

~Jane

PS, My dear Alison is managing a medically induced happy remission, and is working at a nursery (landscaping/plants) in the hot Texas sun, and loving every minute. My words fall on deaf ears when I beg her to find a quiet, calm non-taxing job. She is a tiger, and currently very happy. We pray for a sustained remission!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmyra View Post
    OK, so Al, I have not previously given my own funeral much thought. BUT, you have given me my first request. I really like the idea of making my daughters play "76 Trombones", (played in any fashion,) at my own funeral. Very fitting for my current epitaph!!

Many Thanks!

~Jane

PS, My dear Alison is managing a medically induced happy remission, and is working at a nursery (landscaping/plants) in the hot Texas sun, and loving every minute. My words fall on deaf ears when I beg her to find a quiet, calm non-taxing job. She is a tiger, and currently very happy. We pray for a sustained remission!
    "76 Trombones" struck a chord with me, too..... it was a favorite of my dad's back in the 1960's...... I should get together with my 3 sisters and one brother and see if we can work up a five-part harmony on it. He passed away last year and there hasn't been a memorial yet....

As for your daughter working at a nursery, the only reservation I'd have would be the hot Texas sun, but I imagine she is pretty used to that. I would love a job surrounded by plants! I'm glad she's happy and doing so well.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    I have a sneaky feeling that under that surly, crotchety, cantankerous, ornery, irascible, gruff, churlish, crabby, cranky and uncivil exterior beats a heart of pure gold. I'll bet too that a big hug-able teddy bear is a better description than an old mean smelly goat.
    Hey! Who you callin' "smelly"?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmyra View Post

Many Thanks!

~Jane

Our best to Alison, Jane! Life is tough in all cases. It is fantastic the she has latched onto something to enjoy. (Maybe 76 Trombones can be something of an epitaph for us all. I'll say something more about the tune in my post to Anne.)

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    "76 Trombones" struck a chord with me, too..... it was a favorite of my dad's back in the 1960's...... I should get together with my 3 sisters and one brother and see if we can work up a five-part harmony on it. He passed away last year and there hasn't been a memorial yet....
    An a capella version of "76 Trombones"--I love it! What a terrific concept! I wasn't remembering the following anecdote when I proposed it; I was just thinking of the irony of having it played on harp. But here is the story:

I was not a music major, but most of my social contacts hung out in the Music Building; so did I. Often, players would get go as "ringers" to play in community orchestras. One Sunday night, four female string players returned from such a gig--or should I say "giggle". As a memorial encore to a concert they had played in that afternoon, the music director sprung one one them: In honor of the local high school band director who had passed away during the week, the orchestra would respectfully play his favorite tune..., 76 Trombones. The girls were so astounded that the immediately broke into gales of laughter. The MD was not amused by their levity, and they were never asked back. But I have a feeling that the late band director truly appreciated the send-off--gaiety and all.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As for your daughter working at a nursery, the only reservation I'd have would be the hot Texas sun, but I imagine she is pretty used to that. I would love a job surrounded by plants! I'm glad she's happy and doing so well."

It turns out to have been short term! And trust me, I was not a fan of her working out in the heat.

Well, wouldn't you know...good health has a way of letting you know if you are pushing yourself too hard while you are enjoying it! I got a call from her last night, and it appears she has broken her ankle (tibia) from something (?) and so no work for at least two weeks and is now in a boot with it elevated. Sometimes our bodies have to speak to us loudly if we don't listen to our limitations. ( I can hear all those weggie minds spinning...she had a bone scan just recently and has great levels of bone mass. She is physically strong, and likely twisted it, and ignored the pain/swelling for more than a week).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast