Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Transplant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transplant

We'll take that as good news, I think, Pete!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

2. Likes drz, Alysia, Aneinu, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    We'll take that as good news, I think, Pete!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    I think so, too. Keeping you in my prayers.

Happy New Hebrew Year (starting tonight, Israel time), may it be a year of good health and good news !
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

4. Likes annekat, Pete, Arleta, mishb, Aneinu, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gliders,
    I will take the news as good about the antibodies. I am sorry about the kidney function. How are you feeling? Do you feel better, worse or same since the transplant? How is your Dad feeling? Still thinking of you and your family.
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Aneinu, gilders, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    I think so, too. Keeping you in my prayers.

Happy New Hebrew Year (starting tonight, Israel time), may it be a year of good health and good news !
    Happy New Year to you! Sorry I'm a bit late.
    Diagnosed April 1995

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NatriceRomeo View Post
    Gliders,
    I will take the news as good about the antibodies. I am sorry about the kidney function. How are you feeling? Do you feel better, worse or same since the transplant? How is your Dad feeling? Still thinking of you and your family.
    Natty
    Hi Natty,
    It's good to hear from you. My dad is doing great! He had a tough time on the operating table, losing a lot of blood, but 24hrs later he was very well and within 2 weeks he was completely back to how he was before the transplant.

As for me, I'm slightly better than before transplant, but not much. I always feel bad not being able to tell the Dr's that I feel great now, thanks to their ability to give me a new kidney and the drugs to keep it working. I'm sure most other kidney transplant recepients have a massive improvement and return to a normal, healthy life. But I have many more illnesses, so it was never going to cure those. But there is a slight improvement and the main thing is that I don't have to be on dialysis. I had it for a month or two 25 years ago and I really can't see how I could live like that long term.

I'm so grateful to my dad and always try and make out I'm doing better than I am to him. I know he'd never regret offering his kidney, even if there had been no improvement, but I still like him to think it was a bit more life changing then it has been.

I'll never know exactly how many extra years of life this kidney has given me, be I know it will be substantial, with many of those being dialysis free.
    Diagnosed April 1995

10. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gliders,
    I can empathise with you. It is so frustrating when things do not go your way. Do the Drs think your kidney function will increase or is a kidney function in the 30’s going to be your normal?
    I am sure your father will never regret giving you a kidney. There is no love like a parents love, as I know you know.
    I’m still thinking of you & hoping your kidney starts acting appropriately.
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes annekat, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Hi Natty,
    It's good to hear from you. My dad is doing great! He had a tough time on the operating table, losing a lot of blood, but 24hrs later he was very well and within 2 weeks he was completely back to how he was before the transplant.

As for me, I'm slightly better than before transplant, but not much. I always feel bad not being able to tell the Dr's that I feel great now, thanks to their ability to give me a new kidney and the drugs to keep it working. I'm sure most other kidney transplant recepients have a massive improvement and return to a normal, healthy life. But I have many more illnesses, so it was never going to cure those. But there is a slight improvement and the main thing is that I don't have to be on dialysis. I had it for a month or two 25 years ago and I really can't see how I could live like that long term.

I'm so grateful to my dad and always try and make out I'm doing better than I am to him. I know he'd never regret offering his kidney, even if there had been no improvement, but I still like him to think it was a bit more life changing then it has been.

I'll never know exactly how many extra years of life this kidney has given me, be I know it will be substantial, with many of those being dialysis free.
    Pete, it is very sweet of you to show yourself in a better way then you really are to your father. And I am also sure that he would give you the whole world if he only could. This is what parents are for.

I think the point of camparison should be yourself before the transplant and not other transplant patients, considering your other diseases. And if I understand correctly then you are doing better compared to how you felt before the transplsnt, right ?

I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep on fighting.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My latest blood results are back and it's great news!! My kidney function has increased from 36-42%. I'm so pleased that I didn't get worried the last month where my function had dropped from 40%-36%. It is now the highest it has been since the May 1st.
    My liver test has been rising and is now higher than the normal range, so that needs keeping an eye on.
    My appointments have now been changed from fortnightly to monthly, so the drs must be happy with how things look.

I did get some bad news though. A month or so after my transplant I met an elderly patient and it just so happened that he had his transplant the same time as me, but was in the room next door, he was also from the same town as me. I hadn't seen him in clinic for a couple of months, so it was good to see him and have a catch up. He had had a scan on his kidney (routine) and they noticed a slight mark. They biopsied this mark and there was a cancerous cell in the sample they took. They offered to remove the kidney, but he declined as he would be on dialysis for the rest of his life (he's too old for a transplant now and was only allowed this transplant as they count the age at which you joined the transplant list). They will be keeping an eye on it and as soon as it begins to effect his his kidney function more severely they will remove it. I am just very worried that the cancer may spread and he will lose the kidney soon, or even worse, the cancer will spread to other parts of his body. He's such a friendly man and you'd never expect that he is going through this stressful period. I always offer him a lift home, but he never accepts and uses public transport along with quite a long walk.

And to answer Alysia's last question, Yes I do feel a bit better than a year ago and a lot better than the few weeks before transplant (I really should have been on dialysis then). At yesterday's appointment I again mentioned about fatigue and the dr said that most patients feel most of the benefit of a new kidney from month 6 until month 12. I'm just past month 6, so hopefully I'll see more improvement soon.
    Diagnosed April 1995

15. Likes Pete, Alysia, drz, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think just staying off dialysis would be a big win. Hope things continue to work out well for you. All of us in various stages of kidney disease can empathize with your ordeal.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

17. Likes Pete, Alysia, gilders, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a brief update on the kidneys.
    For the last 3 months my function has been very stable at 39-41%, so it looks like 40% is going to be my long term level, which I'm very happy with so long as it remains stable.

Hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Christmas and New Year.
    Diagnosed April 1995

19. Likes drz, Masha, mishb, Alysia, annekat liked this post
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast