Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowel obstructions or Perforations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dodi.houghton View Post
    Thanks for your response! My daughter essentially passed away from it. She had complained for 3 days in hospital that she felt like she was being ripped apart inside. The doctors and nurses didn't take her seriously and told her it was because she was coming off IV pain meds
    So sorry to hear that. Did WG cause an obstruction and perforation. She must have been in unbearable pain. Did THEY know what was causing her pain? Had the obstruction been diagnosed? I do know that an intestinal obstruction is a surgical emergency because of the pain and also the chance of perforation and sepsis. Think it is quite easy to diagnose. How long had she symptoms?

Rose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your response! My daughter essentially passed away from it. She had complained for 3 days in hospital that she felt like she was being ripped apart inside. The doctors and nurses didn't take her seriously and told her it was because she was coming off IV pain meds
    omg!
    I am so sorry.
    Did she have any mega colon going on?
    This when the colon starts to swell.
    Did she have a swollen abdomen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will tell you abit of her journey first so you have a better understanding of what happened

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will tell you abit of her journey first so you have a better understanding of what happened
    Yes, please share unless it is too painful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter was a first year student in college and was away from home. She would complain of her stomach being sore which we thought it was stress from school. She was tired but also thought school. Before she left for Xmas holidays to her dads she had started coughing up some blood but had a appt with her doctor in the following days. The doctor had diagnosed her with an ulcer, anemia and put her on puffers. The next day she complained she couldn't breath and was taken to the hospital. She was then diagnosed with stage 4 Wegners GPA. She was transferred to a hospital that could give her plasma treatments. She was in a induced coma and awoke from it which amazed doctors. She was in ICU for a couple of weeks where she continued to improve quickly which also shocked doctors. She was taking rituxan and heavy doses of steroids. While in icu she contracted C-Diff which was being treated. She was then well enough to be moved to the nephrology ward. She was in the nephrology ward for a couple of weeks as well and was told she was well enough to go home. The tuesday before her release date she started feeling stomach cramps and was having the runs. She had expressed her concern to her nurse thinking it could be the C-diff back. She was told her infection was gone. As the next day came she was in excruciating pain and said it felt like she was being ripped apart and felt as tho she was on fire. One of her 10 doctors came and said it was because she was coming off iv pain meds and that she had underlying issues....keep in mind my daughter never complained about pain unless it was bad. Physio could not get her up without her screaming at the top of her lungs and crying which she never did either. Nothing was done that night, no blood, nothing. The nurse she had that night did not come in once to do vitals on her. The following morning she was worse but she didn't let it ruin our visit. 3 doctors came in to see her and all they did was feel her stomach. I told the 3rd doctor he needed to do something for the pain and to do something to find out what was going on. He had scheduled a ultrasound that day. That night her breathing became very shallow and was now throwing up and having problems with the other end as well. Her aunt was with her and she told the nurses about it and they did absolutely nothing. That next morning she was code blue and was rushed to the OR to have her colon removed. She had a 0 wbc at this point. She was started on dialysis immediately to remove toxins. She slowly started to get some cells back and then her heart stopped 2 after having her dialysis line flushed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's extremely painful and I'm sorry if my story jumps 😞

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The doctors had explained the rituxan can make the lining of the bowels weak. So if this is the case and they knew this why didn't they check her

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg, what a horrible experience to watch a loved one go thru.
    They probably thought she didn't have an infection because her WBC was low which is absurd.
    She had Rituxan which can cause Leukopenia and this should have made them aware that sepsis could strike.
    When our WBC counts start lowering, its time to prevent infection and this is where I up my mom's vitamin D.
    Sepsis is one of the most deadly consequences to immune suppression.
    Prednisone is known to cause thining of the digestive lining and any vasculitis attack could perforate something.
    Also, prednisone lowers our vitamin D and is used to lower toxic D levels.

I'm so sorry you had to go thru this.
    Please feel free to ask any questions or if you just want talk.
    Everyone here is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you 😞. They would have known if they would have done bloodwork. Her wbc was low because of all the meds and they always would say she could easily catch and infection or virus very quickly. Also how things can be masked by the meds. With that being said it should have given them more reason to check her regularly especially when she started having pain. But nothing was done for 3 days .. No bloodwork no temp, just a feel of the tummy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead we got attitude from 2 nurses who were too busy playing on their phone and one who's break was more important and asking when my daughter would be done throwing up in the bathroom because she had to take her break

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast