Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Barn Owl Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    The baby owls are just ghastly. LOL They went through a slightly-less-than-ghastly stage last week but that didn't last. They all look the same, so if they're turning around to face the camera, brace yourself.

The eagle cam does a general scan of the area every morning. It goes on for a few minutes. I don't like to watch it because it worsens the vertigo. It does give you a good idea of how high up the nest is, though.
    What amazed me about seeing the surrounding area was how close the nest is the farm and roads nearby but then tall trees in Iowa are hard to find so it is probably the eagles best option for that area. They sure seem to be growing fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have couple of white owls by our house and they serenade us just before sleep. I recorded the sound and will try to see if I can upload a wav file and post it. They make the most incredible sounds not just a hoot
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure it will be a hoot....lol.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    We have couple of white owls by our house and they serenade us just before sleep. I recorded the sound and will try to see if I can upload a wav file and post it. They make the most incredible sounds not just a hoot
    Jola, I have had barred owls nesting near my house, not this year, but other years.... and the way I found out what they were is by looking in a bird book, where they described their call as sounding like this: "Who cooks for you.. who cooks for you-all?". That is what it sounded like! You are a ways north of me and could have that owl or some other owl.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    This isn't about bard owls, and there are no videos. But this is an interesting article for armchair birders (and, I suspect, most weggies are relatively skilled in some armchair mode...! At least, I am....

Migratory birds: They bring the songs of spring | Local News | The Seattle Times

Al
    Nice article, Al. I'm glad they mentioned the Swainson's Thrush. It is my favorite bird song around here, and starts right about now... I think I heard one a couple of days ago. When I lived in the Central Valley of California, I found the mockingbird songs to be equally enchanting, though they might keep one awake at night....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Check this site out. 3 live streaming cameras covering 3 waterholes and it has the option to view all waterholes at the same time. The fourth camera was recently set up to film a young female cheetah giving birth to 3 cubs and this happened on May 2nd live!! The plan is to constantly monitor the cubs and watch them grow. Enjoy!!!

Africam | A Live 24x7 Interactive African Wildlife Safari
    This sounds great, Rose! Maybe it is dark in Africa right now, because I can't seem to get anything, but I'll try again tomorrow!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Check this site out. 3 live streaming cameras covering 3 waterholes and it has the option to view all waterholes at the same time. The fourth camera was recently set up to film a young female cheetah giving birth to 3 cubs and this happened on May 2nd live!! The plan is to constantly monitor the cubs and watch them grow. Enjoy!!!

Africam | A Live 24x7 Interactive African Wildlife Safari
    I'll look at a better time, Rose. Thanks for this!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    ....I'm glad they mentioned the Swainson's Thrush. It is my favorite bird song around here, and starts right about now....
    A terrific bird, Anne....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, are barred owls similar to jailed owls?.......lol.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Anne, are barred owls similar to jailed owls?.......lol.
    Ha, ha... actually, I think they are similar to the famous Spotted Owls that there's been so much controversy about with the logging industry, etc. ...... not absolutely sure about that, though.
    I do know they are quite large.... not quite as large as a Great Horned Owl, but large enough to carry off small pets, according to the research I did a couple years ago.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast