Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rituxan Protocols and Successess or Failures

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituxan Protocols and Successess or Failures

My rheumy is recommending that I start Rituxan. I read the entire 32 page package insert last night. I also read some of the articles posted on here and looked at the videos of success stories on the Gene-tech web site.

It appears that the recommendation for initial treatment or to get a flare (where I am) under control is the solu-medrol 1000mg a day for 3 days pulse therapy within 14 days prior to Rtx infusion, then 375/m once a week X 4 weeks. Prior to infusion you should get tylenol and benaydryl to prevent reactions.

What are your experiences? Will I feel like poop afterward? I have to keep working so I am thinking that if I do the infusions on Friday afternoon I will have weekend to recover. Will I need this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going through Rituxan right now (3rd Appt is tomorrow), and I have had side effects. Actually, I have felt really good afterward. I chose Friday as well, since I am still working full time, and that would give me the weekend if need be. The only problem I had, was I got the chills really bad during my first infusion. After that, they gave me 2 Benaydryl, and I had a really good nap.

Good luck to you. I know how scary it can be. this is my first flare, and I just got diagnosed in February. I am still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    My rheumy is recommending that I start Rituxan. I read the entire 32 page package insert last night. I also read some of the articles posted on here and looked at the videos of success stories on the Gene-tech web site.

It appears that the recommendation for initial treatment or to get a flare (where I am) under control is the solu-medrol 1000mg a day for 3 days pulse therapy within 14 days prior to Rtx infusion, then 375/m once a week X 4 weeks. Prior to infusion you should get tylenol and benaydryl to prevent reactions.

What are your experiences? Will I feel like poop afterward? I have to keep working so I am thinking that if I do the infusions on Friday afternoon I will have weekend to recover. Will I need this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Julbkwrm View Post
    I am going through Rituxan right now (3rd Appt is tomorrow), and I have had side effects. Actually, I have felt really good afterward. I chose Friday as well, since I am still working full time, and that would give me the weekend if need be. The only problem I had, was I got the chills really bad during my first infusion. After that, they gave me 2 Benaydryl, and I had a really good nap.

Good luck to you. I know how scary it can be. this is my first flare, and I just got diagnosed in February. I am still learning.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. This is not my first flare but it it is still scary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have put NO side effects. I need to learn to type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not go for those 3 infusions of solumedrol first. I would prob go with the 4 infusions spaced one week apart.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I would not go for those 3 infusions of solumedrol first. I would prob go with the 4 infusions spaced one week apart.

Thanks Phil, why not the infusions? This is what the package insert recommends. Too much??? since this is not my first rodeo?

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Light -- I had my first infusion 5 days after diagnosis once I was stablized. The treatment schedule was once a week for a total of 4 weeks (4 infusions). They administered the first one very slowly to determine how I was tolerating the drug and it included Benadryl and Tylenol. I had no side effects during the infusion and was tired the following few days each time. My 2nd round was two infusions, 15 days apart. Same experience as first time. Expect the medical team to monitor you closely during the entire infusion, checking your blood pressure and making sure you are comfortable and not experiencing any pain or side effects. I was fortunate to have the treatments in a center that administered chemo on a regular basis. They were wonderful! Oh yeah, take a book! (Like Julbkwrm, I slept, too!) Hope it all goes well for you!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no choice but to have Rituxan (all that was offered, death row, diagnosed one day, treatment the next).

I didn't read the script. I just signed it. Bad Carrie. But hey, it was kind of do or die (literally).

I had the solumedrol, and the 4 infusions 1 week apart. Honestly, the worst part about the entire process was how LONG it took. 7 hours for my first infusion, but I had a reaction (itchy throat, chills, coughs) and they went all nutso and stopped it right down. Each one got quicker after that though since I had no more reactions, second was 5.5 hours, next was like 4, and my last one I think was 3.5. It made me sleepy, but not sick. Actually the benedryl and stuff they gave me beforehand probably is what made me sleepy. I felt tired for a few days afterwards, but nothing major. I went shopping and out to eat after my last infusion, LOL.

I napped in the chair as well. With all the warm blankets and warm drinks they gave me they were looking for me to sleep.. lol

The effects were immediate - I went from not walking on diagnosis (like, could not bend my knees) to walking down the aisle on my wedding with no pain a week later... No more coughing up blood, eyes went back to normal, some hearing came back and the sores started to go away. It worked for me. I need go to again in dec/jan for more..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you just love it when they say do you want to take this drug with all its risks and side effects, or not and die?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Thanks Phil, why not the infusions? This is what the package insert recommends. Too much??? since this is not my first rodeo?

3 big infusions of solumedrol like that at first is more for severe Wegs. Probably 100 or 200 with each rtx infusion should be enough.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast