User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acetylcysteine as Adjuvant Therapy for Vasculitis Associated with Antineutrophil Cyto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Acetylcysteine as Adjuvant Therapy for Vasculitis Associated with Antineutrophil Cyto

http://jrheum.org/content/38/4/785.full

Has anyone heard of the fore mentioned drug? Just read this from a Vasculitis alert on my web browser.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting and supports the theory that toxins can cause Wegs. Acetylcysteine is a commonly used supplement to assist with detoxification. Here's some info from Wikipedia: Acetylcysteine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brand name is Mucomsyt. We use it frequently when someone comes in with an overdose of acetaminophen (Tylenol), if we start it right away we can prevent some of the liver damage. We also use to protect liver and kidneys prior to sending someone off to the cardiac cath lab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palmyra -- Funny how things work -- I was reading Sangaye's and your link about Acetylcysteine and came across this other drug that Nephrologists are excited about -- Bardoxolone -- Has anyone heard of this?

It is being studied as a promising treatment for Chronic Kidney Disease - mostly in diabetics but I'm just curious if this drug could help WG patients with kidney involvement?

http://www.transplantbuddies.org/tbx...CKD-384086.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daggar View Post
    Palmyra -- Funny how things work -- I was reading Sangaye's and your link about Acetylcysteine and came across this other drug that Nephrologists are excited about -- Bardoxolone -- Has anyone heard of this?

It is being studied as a promising treatment for Chronic Kidney Disease - mostly in diabetics but I'm just curious if this drug could help WG patients with kidney involvement?
    http://www.transplantbuddies.org/tbx...CKD-384086.pdf

Thanks for posting this. Muscle spasms are very common side effect which doesn't sound good since I have enough of those all ready. I wonder why they said most were on ACE inhibitor and I was taken off that immediately and told I should never have been on it, but don't know why. I guess they thought it contributed to my kidney damage. Years ago they were pushing everyone with diabetes to be on one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure drz.... ACE inhibitors seem to be mentioned often with diabetes/kidney function....

I did find this though:

Individuals with bilateral renal artery stenosis (narrowing) may experience worsening of kidney function, and people who have had a severe reaction to ACE inhibitors probably should avoid them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know 'Acetylcysteïne' only as a cough medicine.

It is used as a cough medicine because it breaks disulfide bonds in mucus and liquefies it, making it easier to cough up.

(quote from Wikipedia)
    Didn't know that it was used for detoxification...
    Quite interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cough syrup, it smells like rotten eggs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Buckleys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightwarrior! Just so happy to see your post (and yours too, Pberggeren!) God only knows what is coming down the pipeline for this disease, or what causes it. I think my daughter's use of TNF~alpha inhibitors provoked her Weg, as per suggested in medical literature, but she had no choice at the time. Looking for more drugs, more action, more leads to a cure!

Ahem,,, a good nod to you Lightwarrior/ peas to you.

And Phil, what is Buckleys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast