PDA

View Full Version : Forum: Off Topic Discussion ......

Hammy8241
08-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Don't know if anyone can help me but I seem to have lost this section of the forum.

It does not show up on the forum page. It was ok until I posted joke on funny thread - yes it was bad but do i really deserve to get banned........ no really? Ok I won't do it again .... for a day or two!

Non of the threads show up either no matter if i am logged on or not. I presume its my end but if anyone knows if I can hide sections from apearing or not, your imput would be gratfull.

Thanks in advance

Jack
08-03-2010, 01:27 AM
You are right. About half of the sections have disappeared!
I've sent Andrew a PM.

Edit: They have just come back again - strange.

Hammy8241
08-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks Jack. So long as I know its not just me I won't feel so bad. Yes sometimes I see it ....then I don't.

Tried in other browsers too but seems the same on off.

andrew
08-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I changed the settings for the off-topic discussion forum so it's only available to people that are logged in due to a recent post of a sensitive nature by one of our primary contributors <- i think that was a nice, politically correct statement :)

This may have caused the issues you experienced. If you're still having the problem, log out and then log back in. Should fix it. If not let me know!

Hammy8241
08-03-2010, 07:49 AM
It seems to have done the trick thanks Andrew.

JanW
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Now I'm really curious about what Andrew is referring to!

Sangye
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
My post.... :)

pberggren1
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Your post? Sangye, what happened?

elephant
08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
What post Sangye...input please :)

Lightwarrior
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Your post? Sangye, what happened?

I think he(Andrew) is trying to help keep her safe.

elephant
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Gotcha! :) :)

Sangye
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
ROTFL-- "What happened?" Did you guys think I keeled over before I could finish my sentence? :D

Hammy8241
08-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Andrew, An idea! Would it be worth setting up another section for Members only , hidden from the public as this is now where we could post sensitive posts. Whilst I understand (and agree) why you have hidden this area, there is only the one thread that needs this action and that one could be moved on creation of a members only section? Nothing is fool proof but it may help or do you think it would create more problems than its worth?

andrew
08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah that's a thought and I can do anything....mmmmwwwaaaahahahahaha....however I thought that seeing as this forum is off topic and usually non-WG related it'd be cool to just hide it. However, you have made me think and not many people can do that...having the off topic forum visible would show that we're not just about WG and there is some off-topic banter going on. I'm happy to create another 'sensitive' forum if that's what people want. Post here and let me know your thoughts!

Jack
08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
It would not affect me either way. I always assume that anything I post on the web is open to the world to read and I moderate it accordingly.

elephant
08-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Ditto to what Jack said. :)

Sangye
08-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Same here. I wrote that post assuming it'd be "out there" and left out names and other info. I do appreciation your concern for me, Andrew and thought it was really kind that you locked it up. Is it possible to just hide a thread without the entire section? I like the fact that non-members can see the Off Topic stuff since it is pretty interesting.

andrew
08-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Nah, can't hide a single thread unfortunately, has to be a whole forum...

Doug
08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
You make the rules, and we will follow them...sometimes! Hide/not hide- I vote for let the poster's discretion determine what's in the post, and, if you feel a line's been crossed where the poster or others may come to harm, do just what you did and hide it.

We talk about medical issues on this forum that are open to the world, really, and the names we chose to be known by on this forum reflect our best effort (or worst!) not to be victimized for having this disease. Perhaps one thing that'd help in a tangible way would be to have a name review (by you?) before allowing full privileges on the forum just to make sure people coming on conceal their identities adequately.

If a person joins the forum, they may need to be reminded up front about the sensitive nature of posts, the need to use names other than their full name (maybe even first names like I do!) to identify themselves on the forum.

JanW
08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm like Jack -- I believe it's out there for the world to see. Further, my screen name is very close to my real name and I don't think that needs to change.

Sangye
08-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Andrew, I don't mind if you unlock that area. I'd rather have the other good stuff out there. :)

We had the situation going on when I joined this group, but I still used my real name.

pberggren1
08-04-2010, 07:10 AM
I would like to see it unlocked. I don't think most people would care.