PDA

View Full Version : What is Always On My Mind

Sangye
08-01-2010, 03:08 AM
I have a serious issue in my life that I've avoided discussing on here because it's such an icky situation. But it's a constant source of anxiety to me and affects how I interact in this group at times.

In 2007 our sangha connected with a man who turned out to be a felon in violation of his parole. He had been convicted of arson, battery and domestic violence and was also charged with rape. He is a skilled con-artist and had infiltrated our sangha in hopes of stealing money and availing himself of other assistance. He stole our financial records, lots of money and wound up convincing a nun who was weak in her vows to abandon them altogether and take up a life of crime with him. As we learned his true identity, this led to his re-arrest and him being put back in prison to serve out his remaining time.

He was already a rage-filled guy--actually a sociopath--and this really set him off. He's dedicated the past couple years to stalking, threatening and harassing our Lama and sangha, including me. We have a restraining order, but that's just a piece of paper.

This is his full-time job. I wish I were kidding. He spends day and night attacking us online via blogs and for the past 10 months, on Twitter. While it may look like just name-calling at times, the threats are quite real and have translated into real-life activity.

The only reason I bring this up on here is that he's quite brilliant and skilled at using the internet to hunt down details of our lives and distort it in his attacks. He's published my home address and phone on Twitter along with death threats. Given that I use my real Buddhist name on here, I'm surprised he hasn't found me.

For this reason, I never mention this group by name on my blog or on Twitter. I just don't want to give him any help, you know? But every time we get a new member, I feel anxious that it's him. He's an unbelievably good conman and researches things so he can sound authentic. He could easily impersonate a Weggie.

Sometimes I can't believe we're living with this. It's like being in a Batman movie all the time, with no end in sight. We have lawyers and are collecting evidence. Police in multiple states are involved. It's obviously not a typical thing for Buddhist monks and nuns to spend time on and none of us envisioned this for ourselves. But it is what it is, and so we deal with it.

There's not really anything you guys can do about it, but it helps me to know that you know. And if you're ever on Twitter and read my tweets about it, please know that I'm literally defending lives and not just being mean. We often come out looking like the bad guys online because he uses this holier-than-thou personality on some sites, and attacks/threatens on his others.

Just writing this has helped me some, though I've cried all the way through it. Thank you for listening and for always supporting me. The fact that I have you guys to support me with the Wegs helps me more than you could possibly know.

Jack
08-01-2010, 03:32 AM
Oh Sangye. That's really dreadful! It must be putting so much stress on you and your friends.

I can't offer any words of advice, only my sympathy and to let you know that I fully understand how convincing a good con man can be - better than the real thing very often! So good in fact that I'm sure they convince themselves that the identity they portray is the real one.

Hope you can eventually get this sorted, but in the meantime my support goes out to you.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Thank you, Jack. Yes, the stress is tremendous. I've always been pretty good at detecting conmen and deception, but this guy escaped all of our radar detectors. It really is as you said-- he truly believes his assumed identity is real. Between Wegs, this and the rest of the stress in my life, I'm really learning how to deal with anxiety and uncertainty.

elephant
08-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Sangye wow, I can understand your anxiety. Had a several stalker's in my life, I seem to attract them....one of them was pretty scary. I was always looking back, hesitant to cross an alley...he might just pop out of no where! Slept with my light on all night and had a lock on my bedroom door. It took a long time to get over, then I moved and that helped a little. Anytime I see a man far away that resembles him, I think is that him? Did he follow me here?

Sangye
08-01-2010, 03:59 AM
How awful! Have you ever read "The Gift of Fear?" It talks about how to identify potential stalkers and how to deal with them. The guy who stalks us fits into a category of "ignore at your peril." This is why we have to fight back all the time. His threats and activities escalate when he's ignored. I highly recommend the book for anyone, since it isn't just about stalkers. Wish I had read it before we met up with this guy.

Lightwarrior
08-01-2010, 04:22 AM
[QUOTE=Just writing this has helped me some, though I've cried all the way through it. Thank you for listening and for always supporting me. The fact that I have you guys to support me with the Wegs helps me more than you could possibly know.[/QUOTE]

Oh Sangye, I am so sorry that you have to live with this, you have two monsters you are running from, Wegs and this creep. I wish I had some magic words to say to make it better or some advice on how to deal with it but I can't think of anything. All I can say is that I stand behind you and support you..you will be in my thoughts daily and I will send you light and energy to deal with both monsters. I am amazed, not surprised that with all you are dealing with you always have so much compassion and wisdom. We are blessed to have you as a friend, ally and teacher. Namaste Sangye

Sangye
08-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Thanks, Lightwarrior. I appreciate your kindness and light. :)

elephant
08-01-2010, 04:36 AM
I need to check that book out. Sangye thank goodness your in another state.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Yeah, the book explains why some people attract stalkers and how not to. He's come here, too and knows where we all live. He's also hired help at times. I'm glad I have dogs to alert me is all I can say.

misskay
08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
sangye, if you have an Order of Protection against this person and he is making any contact at all, he is in direct violation of that order. You mentioned he is also a convicted felon... which means he's most likely still on parole. Violation of an Order of Protection will violate that parole. Have you made a police report? You need to document every time he contacts or attempts to contact you, and especially any threats made whether they be direct or implied. *sorry... not on the job, but still have on the badge in my heart*

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 08:54 AM
I had a lady friend that had a stalker once.

She was quite terrified to go out at night.

We set up a plan to trap him. I let my temper get the best of me.

To make a long story short I bound and gagged him, put him in the trunk of my car, took him to a bridge about 30 miles away in the middle of nowhere and hung him from the bridge by his feet. I left him there for a few hours. I let him go and she never saw him again. My lady friend is now dead - the one that passed away on my birthday. She died from cancer and liver toxicity from drinking too much butt to make a long story short do not become complacent if you susspect you have a stalker.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 09:55 AM
sangye, if you have an Order of Protection against this person and he is making any contact at all, he is in direct violation of that order. You mentioned he is also a convicted felon... which means he's most likely still on parole. Violation of an Order of Protection will violate that parole. Have you made a police report? You need to document every time he contacts or attempts to contact you, and especially any threats made whether they be direct or implied. *sorry... not on the job, but still have on the badge in my heart*
Thank you, yes-- we have good lawyers guiding us on this. We spend an inordinate amount of time collecting the evidence, all the contacts, etc.... He's well-aware of the little loopholes, though and manages to dodge around them quite well. We're close to having what we need to press charges. He's not on parole, since he finished his time when he was sent back to prison.

I appreciate your suggestions and am glad to have you in our group.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 10:01 AM
We set up a plan to trap him. I let my temper get the best of me.

To make a long story short I bound and gagged him, put him in the trunk of my car, took him to a bridge about 30 miles away in the middle of nowhere and hung him from the bridge by his feet. I left him there for a few hours. I let him go and she never saw him again. My lady friend is now dead - the one that passed away on my birthday. She died from cancer and liver toxicity from drinking too much butt to make a long story short do not become complacent if you susspect you have a stalker.
Good lord, Phil! Are you serious? You're like Batman!

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Good lord, Phil! Are you serious? You're like Batman!

Ya. I don't tell this to many people. It was 8 years ago and I have never heard from him or have seen him since.

elephant
08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
You did your friend a favor, and maybe that guy will never stalk again!

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 10:35 AM
You did your friend a favor, and maybe that guy will never stalk again!

I think you are right elephant. Hopefully I taught him a lesson.

Before Wegs came along I would take on anybody in a fight. I have never lost a fight. I hate bullys and whenever I saw someone being bullied I would step in and help that person. I once had a whole town after me for helping someone that was being bullied.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm the same way with bullies. When I was a kid I would defend others from bullies. I was like the Chickenhawk character in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

But I never had a whole town after me! Phil, when are you coming to visit? I wanna hear your stories. :D

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Just e-mail me and I will tell them to you. But I want to see you in person so bad.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd love to hear them in person. Wouldn't we all have a blast if we got together someday?

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I would love to be able to go to one of the Symposiums.

elephant
08-01-2010, 11:49 AM
We all just need to really start saving right now and by then will be able to go. We can all sit together!

Sangye
08-01-2010, 11:55 AM
They'd throw us out for being rowdy. But Dr Seo would sit with us at lunch, because he's hilariously funny, too.

elephant
08-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I think the funnier you are the smarter you are!

Sangye
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Sure is true for him. He's one of the smartest people I've ever met. His mind is so sharp.

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't want to get into the race thing again but I find Oriental people in general a much smarter race.

onatreetop
08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Agree with misskay. You have to have it documented with the police to protect yourself legally. this freak could be to good at what he des and turn it on you. you need to be alert but not scared at the same time. Dont mean to sound neg. but........physcos are unpredictable. I am sorry that you are dealing with this on top of everyone else. Just tonight as I pulled in my driveway( shared dirt road) a state trooper heads down with his search light going in the woods around my house. i sped up to make sure he wasnt going to my house were my family is and he kept going farther down the drive. I called inside the house from my car before I got out. Asked the kids to turn on all the outside lights and lock all the doors and windows NOW!!!! After they did I got out of the car and ran for the door. locked the car from inside the house and the door behind me. Called my niegbor at the end of the drive to tell them to lock up and he grabbed his work dogs and went to help the troopers. He is a k-9 officer. Still havent seen the trooper leave yet. neighbor called me back saying stay locked up. Dont let anyone in that comes to the door you dont no. And if they do call him and 911. hewill be here in seconds. He also helped me put out our fire a couple years ago. I was the one who got everyone out and started for the hose and got in the house. minutes later he was here and another good neighbor that is a firefighter for the state forest and has the truck with some water. I dont scare easy but get in this different mindset or mode when somethings happen. mothers instinct I dont think so. Its more than that. And I am right about the instinct to do what ever it might be. I was very close at one time to becoming a sheriff back in cally. My friends havealways said that they look to me for strenght and assurance. Or feel safe and trust more than usual around me.
I am rambling again sorry. I hope you can manage all this and be okay.I beleive if anyone can it is you! Your wisdom and kindness will bring you the same. Protect yourself.

Will there be cocktails at this meeting of the wgs????

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 04:39 PM
That is scary onatreetop.

Yes, there will be a bar.

drz
08-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Yes, there will be a bar.

How much can we drink with all the meds we take?

I have been avoiding alcohol since my diagnosis since I don't know how it would affect my meds? I miss having wine with a good meal or a beer on a hot day.

Jack
08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
The main problem with alcohol is its effect on the liver and interaction with opiate type pain killers. I have continued to drink in moderation throughout my treatment and never been warned against it or noticed any adverse reaction. I am only talking about the odd pint of beer or glass of wine, not going out on a bender! ;)

elephant
08-01-2010, 09:35 PM
DRz talk with your doctor. I am on cellcept and a whole bunch of medicines and asked my doctor if I can have one glass of wine once in a while and she said, "Yes!"

Sangye
08-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Onatreetop, that must have been scary-- glad your family was okay.

I'm the same kind of person. I don't scare easily with things like this and am the one others look to for protection. I was that way even as a kid. My older sister was born afraid of her own shadow, poor thing. I was 2 years younger and much smaller, but she'd wake me up to go patrol the house for every little noise she heard. I'd be in front with a hairbrush or some "weapon" and would go around turning on lights and checking closets, with her hanging on my back. I'd talk her out of her fear. It seemed very natural at the time. I can remember doing this when I was really young, like 5.

When we first found out who this guy was I was terrified. He has knowledge of using knives and other weapons to kill in stealth ways--wrote a book on it, actually. We unearthed all kinds of stuff like that about him, and it triggered a primordial kind of fear in me that I'd never experienced. The book I recommended-- The Gift of Fear-- snapped me out of the fear, and the Chickenhawk in me came out again. I have no fear of this man. I'm not stupid about it, though-- I take whatever precautions I can. But only I control my mind-- he doesn't get to take that from me.

Sangye
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM

This is the Chickenhawk from Foghorn Leghorn. :D

pberggren1
08-02-2010, 04:37 AM
That is scary Sangye. I wish I were well enough to come down there and investigate this guy.

elephant
08-02-2010, 04:41 AM
You should be a detective Phil!

pberggren1
08-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Too stressful now.

Sangye
08-02-2010, 07:54 AM
And with pred, you can't stress your tendons/ligaments by wrangling guys into trunks and stuff. :D

I gotta say, Phil-- that story has made me giggle a lot the past couple days, just picturing it. It was very heroic of you.

elephant
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I hate to admit this, but I giggled out loud when I read about " Batman Phil", my kids", asked why are you laughing?" Never Mind!

onatreetop
08-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Good for all of you !! And I drink what I want when I want most of the time. Not a lot mind you because of the the meds. But if I want a glass of wine with or without dinner I do still enjoy it. And a cold beer an on a hot day is good too. Cant replace that taste I am sorry. My doc never said no to it. I am sure that if I had to much that I wouldnt handle it well. Cheers! going for a cold one right now!!!

Sean48
08-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Sangye....What a terrible thing that is happening to you. I can't imagine. Along with the WG it must be a constant battle. You are in my thoughts and you have my support also.

Sean48
08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend, but I must comment.......If anyone can get away with what you did, its living in Swift current.........
Nothing around or anyone to see you.....Your dog runs away you can see him for 3 days......
I have been there......

Sean48
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Or drz.....I can't agree more..... I miss my wine and going to the restaurant sitting at the bar

Sangye
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Sean48. We notified our stalkers the other day that a prominent law firm in Washington DC is handling our case. Boy did they get mad! But they've been pretty quiet since, deleting some of their Twitter accounts in a futile effort to cover up their actions. Way too late for that! We were fools to let the guy into our sangha originally, but we've since gotten pretty sharp about capturing screenshots and other evidence.

me2
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Sangye, I'm sorry you have been afflicted with this kind of person and WG at the same time. I can relate very deeply becaue the last few years have been simular for me. My neighborhood was taken over by Tweakers living right behind me and the law wouldn't do a thing. I've got stories but none that can top 'Batman Phil'.
Surprisingly action that I took 15 years ago led to their demise (they lost their property to health dept. fines) and the disease has eased up at the same time. Could be there is a connection.

Sangye
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Tweakers are meth addicts, right? Good for you for getting them out of your neighborhood. That's an honorable thing to do. Wegs can be caused or worsened by solvents, and I wonder if you were getting exposed.

pberggren1
08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
So Sean48, what brought you up to Swift Current before? Will you be coming again?

Sean48
08-12-2010, 12:03 PM
my sister lives in lafleche and her inlaws have family there. My sister passed away last week from cancer but was unable to go because I am newly diagnosed. I usually got out there every year. Before she got really sick I would go every other year and we would travel in their 5th wheel....we would be gone 2 or 3 weeks. My brother in law is a saint. (my name is sharon but I use Sean48 for my wg name..) not to confuse you...
Anyway we took a ride to swift current a couple of times. I will have to find out what the married name of the daughter who is living in swift current. You never know who your neighbor is....
This spring I plan to go out to visit my brother in law and niece this spring.......

me2
08-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Meth addicts yes, although that is such benign, clinical terminolgy for what is perhaps the most destructive drug to human character. (and you were going to guess prednisone) I don't think I was getting exposed to solvents , although I do believe that is what initially may have caused WG for me. I used to work with solvents in manufacturing- until I got WG and was too sick to work.
What I was referring to was the stress. 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week for several years there could be confrontations, altercations or incidents with these people. Usually at night when us normals were trying to sleep. Dozens of them , I am not exagerrating. The place next to me was a major seller in the area. It was like living in a war zone.
I used the law to get rid of them , I'd like to say I can claim some moral ground that I didn't go all 'Batman' on them but the real truth is I was just too sick to do battle that way.
It is soooo quiet now. Such blessed peacful quiet. I actually live in a beautiful place in the woods in Washington state.

elephant
08-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Good for you me2, glad you got that mess out of your life!

JanW
08-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Did you guys know that there is such as thing as meth-induced vasculitis? I did not until I went to the Symposium!

elephant
08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
No, but that is obviously toxic to our system. So what did they say about it?

JanW
08-13-2010, 01:16 AM
It was in response to a question. Somebody asked if it was true that this is one way you could get vasculitis and Peter Merkel said that yes, this has been documented.

elephant
08-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks, any questions regarding what part of the world has most WG patients? If it is here in the US, who has the most per state?

JanW
08-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Believe it or not, Australia has the most reported cases per capita (hi, Andrew!). And those stats may be on all vasculidites, not just WG. They didn't really get into why (I'm thinking it may be as simple as population centers and more centralized record keeping). They also debunked the myth that it's only prevalent amongst whites, noting that it's all over the world in all populations.

Sangye
08-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Australia, huh? Who would have thunk? Guess it's true that standing on your head all your life isn't good for you. :D

Sangye
08-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Meth addicts yes, although that is such benign, clinical terminolgy for what is perhaps the most destructive drug to human character. (and you were going to guess prednisone) I don't think I was getting exposed to solvents , although I do believe that is what initially may have caused WG for me. I used to work with solvents in manufacturing- until I got WG and was too sick to work.
What I was referring to was the stress. 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week for several years there could be confrontations, altercations or incidents with these people. Usually at night when us normals were trying to sleep. Dozens of them , I am not exagerrating. The place next to me was a major seller in the area. It was like living in a war zone.
I used the law to get rid of them , I'd like to say I can claim some moral ground that I didn't go all 'Batman' on them but the real truth is I was just too sick to do battle that way.
It is soooo quiet now. Such blessed peacful quiet. I actually live in a beautiful place in the woods in Washington state.
I'm so glad you got them out. I lived next to suspected drug activity on a much smaller scale many years ago. I knew the Police Dept number by heart and could dial it without looking at the phone.

Glad you didn't go all Batman on them.... I think Phil hasn't gotten his tights back from the cleaners yet. :D

elephant
08-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Wonder what natural resourses that Australia have that might contribute to the Vasculitis? I am thinking too deeply about this.....one of my weaknesses!
Thanks JanW!

JanW
08-13-2010, 05:53 AM
I always think that all of the vasculitis diseases are so astonishingly rare and so frequently misdiagnosed that differentials in numbers probably have more to do with accuracy in reporting vs. one area having more of the disease than another, particularly since with many of the diseases there is no definitive test.

elephant
08-13-2010, 06:27 AM
I agree with you on that one. I really think my dad has mild limited wegeners disease. But it is so hard to convince my dad, let alone his doctors. My dad keeps telling me, "antibiotics don't work for me." He had four maxillary surgeries, mild emphysema, chest pain and some tingling in his pinky finger. I can't seem to get it across to him either. But I stay on top of it! I am sure that there are many that ignore their symptoms and chuck them off to be something else ( like most of us did ) and don't do anything about it.

Sangye
08-13-2010, 06:56 AM
I would love to know if there are higher rates of Wegs diagnosed in countries that have affordable health care for everyone. So many people don't get tests, don't see specialists and don't have access to Wegs docs just because of insurance and financial issues. Makes me sick(er) to think about it.

pberggren1
08-13-2010, 07:23 AM
my sister lives in lafleche and her inlaws have family there. My sister passed away last week from cancer but was unable to go because I am newly diagnosed. I usually got out there every year. Before she got really sick I would go every other year and we would travel in their 5th wheel....we would be gone 2 or 3 weeks. My brother in law is a saint. (my name is sharon but I use Sean48 for my wg name..) not to confuse you...
Anyway we took a ride to swift current a couple of times. I will have to find out what the married name of the daughter who is living in swift current. You never know who your neighbor is....
This spring I plan to go out to visit my brother in law and niece this spring.......

I'm sorry to hear that your sister passed away Sharon. I hope you can get up here this spring and we could meet. You are from Ohio, right? Let me know what your Neice's name is in Swift Current.

Col 23
08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi Elephant
interesting what you said about your dad saying "anitbiotics dont work for me". Prior to Diagnoses I use to always have double stength anitbiotics sometimes for months as they never worked that well for me too.

Hi Jan W
Thanks for all the inof. I think the figure is 1 in 30,000 in Australia.
cheers Col 23

Col 23
08-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi Jan
that stat was for WGs
cheers Col 23

Sean48
08-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Phil
Thanks ...I forgot to ask my niece when I talked to her today. I am not related to the one in swift current. It is relatives on my brother in laws side. I will make a note to find out. Its such a small world.

PS: I live in New Hampshire...... Close.... :-)