PDA

View Full Version : Don't Mess with a Beast Mr. Hurricane

marta
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
This is a really Off Topic Post...

You know how the odd book or song or comment comes just at the right time? Well I have a funny story about a song.

A Preamble...
Before I got diagnosed I was lucky enough to get quite a bit of downhill and cross country skiing in. I love to do it with music in my ears, and one night - after I got my ear problem, but much before the final climax of the hospital visit when it was all made 'clear' for me, I was flipping through the channels and stumbled onto a music video which was quite disturbing visually, but had a great sound and an awesome beat. That night I downloaded it and it became one of my new faves when I wanted to get agro and either beat the slopes up on my downhill skis, or really make myself hurt on my cross country skis. For almost two months it was the song I would turn to when I wanted to 'turn things up a notch'.

A Second Preamble...
After things started to go awry, I went to an amazing reflexologist (she's actually a 'wro shr' practitioner who brought my mother back from the brink, a 70+ year old lady from China who is absolutely unreal). She worked on me a few times and likened what was going on in my body to a strong wind. She said that it's travelling through my body and affecting different organs on different days, she likened it to a 'hurricane' within my system, and said it was quite difficult to treat as it didn't stay in one place too long. Incidentally she totally nailed which organs were affected before I had the diagnosis from the Western Docs.

That's it for the preambles, on with the story...
So things went on, my exciting adventure went through it's course, I got diagnosed with WG, and became a member of a very exclusive club. After all the excitement and chaos subsided I finally went back to my iPod and listened to my playlist (Marta's Happy Place is what I call it) that I listened to while playing in the great outdoors before I went horizontal for a bit.

I listened to the words for the very first time to the song that I had downloaded and listened to a hundred times in the two months before my hospital visit. I was awestruck! Sitting in my parents kitchen with my mouth agape and tears running down my face. The words all of the sudden seemed like they were written for me.. except for the odd line, it was nutty how THERE it was.

I AM the Beast and Wegener's is the Hurricane.
"Don't mess with a Beast Mr. Hurricane!"

Here's a link to the video, and it is somewhat bizzare visually, but listen to the words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eHaps3Ykqk

Now everytime I feel like I need to 'give'er' or some extra strength, I listen to this and it makes me grit my teeth, flex my muscles and go forward. I went for a 28km road ride today on my bike and listened to it a few times. It felt really good. Really really good. I might pay for it tomorrow, but today I feel good.

pberggren1
07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
That is a good story Marta. I could not get the link to work for the Youtube video.

marta
07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Here's another link to them doing it live on 'Q' on CBC, that way you don't have to watch the disturbing video either.... Hope it works..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwaE1UPUL0o (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwaE1UPUL0o)

Hope you like the song.

Hammy8241
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
That is a good story Marta. I could not get the link to work for the Youtube video.

Just delete one of the htpp:// as they seem to be duplicated.

Music to my ears Marta:)

I use music (50s rock & roll) when on the treadmill but I'm too nosy when out generally - i like to know whats happening. Not done much X-country skiing except when in Norway in the Army and that was was done on planks of wood. Tough!

Sangye
07-28-2010, 11:32 PM
LOL--good story, Marta. I like the song. Here are the lyrics (http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/beast/mr_hurricane.html) to it-- I couldn't catch some of them while listening. I especially liked "Then take your pills (Finally righteous)"

I don't doubt that Chinese practitioner's abilities for one second. My acupuncture doctor (Doctor of Oriental Medicine) in Arizona was highly-trained like that and could pick up things the MDs never could. Wegs disturbs the "winds and channels" from an Eastern perspective and would be described as a hurricane when it's raging. Disorders of wind are extremely difficult to diagnose and treat.

elephant
07-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks Marta that brought a smile to my face knowing you are having a good day!

Lightwarrior
07-29-2010, 01:12 AM
I love it Marta, great

marta
07-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks Hammy,

I've fixed the links up now. Hopefully they work. I'm embarassed to not have caught that error, I'm blaming it on the pred (or being married - ha ha).

Yeah, I imagine they wouldn't give you very good equipment when making you X-country ski in the Army. We actually get a whole swack of UK soldiers here every winter that come out to downhill ski, snowboard and X-country ski. They LOOOOVE it, but I think the equipment has changed so much, even in the last decade since I started to play in this realm. The only time I don't put music in is when I'm out on the trails during the summer (on my mountain bike or jogging) because of the bears. We have lots of them here, and it's good to know when you're close to one. A surprise encounter is not usually a good one. On the slopes and X-country ski trails though it's great, and on my road bike... it gives me a beat to follow, makes me not hear how hard I'm breathing, and makes me go a little harder than usual. I live in a community of superheroes and any advantage to help me try to keep up is good.

By the way, you should have seen me jive with my dad when I was a kid to 50's rock and roll. We kicked!!!! He'd throw me around like a rag doll and we were gooood. I miss jiving with someone who can lead well, not too many around here.

pberggren1
07-30-2010, 06:27 PM
I never could dance. I guess I was just too shy and too much of a loner.

Doug
08-02-2010, 12:08 AM
I enjoyed the story and video, Marta! One never knows where help is coming from, and this story pretty much carves that fact in stone!

(Thanks for the lyrics link, Sangye- I missed a significant part of the words because of the background singers, and it helped pull together just what and why Marta shared it with us.)

marta
08-02-2010, 02:02 AM
I enjoyed the story and video, Marta! One never knows where help is coming from, and this story pretty much carves that fact in stone!

(Thanks for the lyrics link, Sangye- I missed a significant part of the words because of the background singers, and it helped pull together just what and why Marta shared it with us.)

Thanks Doug. I think I had also missed the lyrics when I was just using the song for rhythm and energy on the snow, and when I actually listened closely to them after coming home from the hospital it hit me like a ton of bricks. I think it's actually about an abusive relationship, but when you take that element out it, it sure jives with my/our current experience.

As far as never knowing where help comes from.... I would have never thought I could get this much help and support from a website forum before this. So yeah, you're right, you never know. Thanks y'all.

pberggren1
08-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Lightwarrior, are you there?

Lightwarrior
08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Yes, I just asked for you to be my friend on facebook