PDA

View Full Version : How long do the drugs we take stay in our body?

katarzena
07-23-2010, 04:20 AM
...after we stop taking them? Bactrim, Cellcept, Cyclo, Prednisone, Meth, Imuran...?
Does anyone know how long must past after we stop taking drugs that we can take drugs that might interact with the ones listed?

Jack
07-23-2010, 04:41 AM
I think they are all different, but also they don't just disappear from your body suddenly and I'm sure that the right test could detect traces of most for a very long time. Effective life is a different matter. I think my Pred starts to become ineffective after about 30 hours, Some antibiotics only last 8 hours and the effects of Warfarin lag behind the dose by up to a week. Best to consult with a Pharmacist if you are in any doubt.

pberggren1
07-23-2010, 05:29 AM
I know that the ctx can stay in your muscle tissue for years afterwards.

Sangye
07-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Chemo (ctx, mtx, imuran) stays in the liver and other fatty tissues indefinitely.

Pred doesn't stay in the body very long at all, but the imbalances created by it can last short-term or indefinitely.

marta
07-23-2010, 03:55 PM
What if one were to do a detox once they've stopped the meds. Would that be a benefit to the body or a poking the beast with a stick?

pberggren1
07-23-2010, 06:34 PM
It would be the latter Marta. It would be like disturbing a sleeping bear.

Jack
07-23-2010, 06:35 PM
If I were ever able to do without the drugs (which isn't going to happen :( ) I would be very concerned about messing with things and risking a relapse.

elephant
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
I would not mess with the sleeping bear. I am just as anxious to get off these drugs, but I won't. I even am thinking right now, "Would if I just got off the cellcept and took bactrim everyday? Would that keep me in remission? Maybe next year I will ask that question.

Sangye
07-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Marta, if you were taking these drugs for something like cancer, then you'd definitely want to follow it with a detox under a skilled holistic physician's guidance. With cancer you should anything to support the immune system and rebuild the adrenals, liver, etc....

However, if you do that with Wegs, it will counteract the treatment and cause the disease to flare.

katarzena
07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
but if chemo drugs stay in us indefinitely I don't think that's a high amount of these drugs in us.. Does that mean that I am never in my entire life supposed to take some other drug that could interact with for example cyclo, just because I took cyclo when I was younger. It doesn't make sense. For example aspirin, it can interact so what am I supposed not to take aspirin for the rest of my life? I believe the amount that stays in our liver and fatty tissues is not so big that could present any problems like when we were on it daily during the treatment.
What do u guys think?

Jack
07-25-2010, 11:21 PM
I would have said that unless you are actually taking the drug in question at the time then you need not worry too much about interactions. I've never really investigated the subject, but it has never been raised by any of the doctors or pharmasists I have spoken to and I always understood that the problems arose when the drugs mixed while being absorbed in the stomach / intestine rather than residues left in the bodies tissue.

elephant
07-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I would have to agree with Jack on that one too. Remember he has a PHd. :)

Sangye
07-26-2010, 01:08 AM
You don't need to worry about drug interactions from past drugs you've taken.