PDA

View Full Version : Work- Related question..

Carly Hedge
07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
My co-worker has put in her notice so work is looking at me to take over as much as I can but I know that I can't. They are aware of my condition but I need to write a letter for my doctor to sign so they know what I can do and not do without having me relapse or by pushing me too far. Just like I shouldn't be breaking down tables and chairs for classes but I do because there isn't anyone else. My hubbie and I are doing this just as a precaution. So any advice would be greatly appericated! :o

Sangye
07-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Your doctor will have a questionaire that asks how much you can lift, how long you can stand, etc... without pain or other symptoms. Standard form. You fill that out, and the doc makes recommendations based on that.

If it were me, I wouldn't continue doing anything that was harming myself just because there's no one else. They naturally won't believe you, and there's also no incentive for them to replace your co-worker if you're picking up the slack. All things aside, you have to take care of yourself or you can easily wind up completely unable to work.

DEE
07-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Carly
i went back to work last year after a major flare , my choice not works
took on all my own duties , i work in my local school BUT i now know i was the wrong deciesion by me not gp or wg consult
as i have now been off work since jan 10 with one thing after another , im not saying working was to blame but i dont think i did myself any favours
and both gp and wg consult saying i cant work now !!!
i know what Sangye is saying is right from my present situation and i know that we are all different and im desperate to go back to work but if the last few months has taught me any thing the only way forward has been to look after myself and listen to what others are saying
its hard :) but hopefully worth it DEEx

elephant
07-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Need to take care of yourself and then baby steps after that...I know it is hard because you feel like you have to work, but you know that pushing yourself will do you in.

Carly Hedge
07-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Wow- thanks guys. That helps. My rheuma just has the basic form for everytime I see her so I know that won't do but you guys gave the some idea of what to say and I will also have to discuss the whole work issue with my hubby. Another reason why I would like to consult with Dr. Seo. :)

Jack
07-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I made this mistake in the early days - I took on a job in the production area as a trouble buster which was a very high pressure job working in poor conditions. After a couple of months, I had a major flare and spent nearly 6 months off sick. :(

You must look after yourself. Others probably won't.

Hammy8241
07-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Although a relative newbie to WG (Feb10) I have already learnt that every next day, is a negative mirror of your previous days activities. If I have a really good day today then I feel the consequences the next(unless I accept my limitations and balance the efforts/rest used in the day.).

Therefore my 'tuppenceworth' (old English for opinion) in this debate would to advice caution. To take up extra responsibilities may reduce your ability to manage your current workload and leave you open to problems from your bosses.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Sangye
07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Although a relative newbie to WG (Feb10) I have already learnt that every next day, is a negative mirror of your previous days activities. If I have a really good day today then I feel the consequences the next(unless I accept my limitations and balance the efforts/rest used in the day.).

Therefore my 'tuppenceworth' (old English for opinion) in this debate would to advice caution. To take up extra responsibilities may reduce your ability to manage your current workload and leave you open to problems from your bosses.

Well put, Hammy. The next day pay is so hard to learn! :)

Lightwarrior
07-18-2010, 06:11 AM

Cool Hammy, you perfectly described the huge need for balance with Wegs. I had a great day on Wednesday, worked too long and my "negative mirror" hung around for 2 days. I'm having a better day today, but I'm taking it easy. Thanks for the great metaphor. I'll keep that visual and use it to help me balance.

Doug
07-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Though my employers were very good about adjusting to my needs at first, ultimately I think they were happy I took their hint (after two years in a row) about "we don't want to lose you, but would you consider early retirement?" No less than family and friends, employers have difficulty seeing you a "sick for life" because there are days you can do pretty much an amount of work you did in past. They don't make the connections, often, that the next day you are gone or "having a bad day" too often follows that day you over did it. Look up the Americans with Disabilities law on the internet, and immerse yourself in your employer's responsibilities to you as a person with chronic illness.

Jack
07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
During the last years of my employment I had increasing amounts of time off sick which resulted in me being given less and less work. I slowly changed from being a "key player" to someone who turned up and browsed the internet for most of the day. None of my own doing and I did not enjoy it, but it did prepare me for making an early retirement - work was something I no longer missed.

Doug
07-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I used these two questions to answer the question of "Is it time to retire?" ~ "Am I contributing to the profitability of my company?" and "Is what I'm doing fun to do?"

I was paid well, which suggested they thought I was meeting the requirements of the first question or just didn't know how to deal with me when I had a super work record, but a stinking chronic disease. Basically, I did what was expected of me, but found it more and more difficult to give that extra amount I was known to give in past.

As for fun, like Jack, I felt less and less involved in the activities I knew were important to the future of the company. Their choice.

I had lots of time for browsing the internet, too, Jack, and I spent it trying to learn more about WG. Oh yes, and other things even less acceptable like where to buy rhubarb starts and joke websites! Clearly it was time, and I left.

What amazed me most was the question of money and health care didn't figure into the decision as much as I thought they would. I'm not living in a palace, but I am comfortable.

Carly Hedge
07-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Thank you guys. I also talked to my Rheuma and she suggested as long as I don't have to talk on the phone alot-can't breathe, do alot of physical activity, and take care of myself like disinfecting my hands a lot- I should be ok but its mine and hub decision if I should not work. She stated that I am at minimal with condition because of my treatments but she did mention that after I am done with treatments the next step is getting a scan of my liver and losing weight big time. I have alot of decisions in front of me. I feel as if I am in a victorian maze trying to find the right path.

Hammy8241
07-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Carly. Just to throw something else into the melting pot!

Your WG will control how much work you can achieve but we must look after both body and mind.

To go to work helps me cope with the WG in so much it is an environment where I can put the illness to the back of mind and concentrate on other things for a few hours. It also helps financially of course and, in my case, work are very supportive with time off for appointments etc. They still expect their lb of flesh each day but luckily, I can still give that….. so far. By agreeing what you can and can’t do (and why?) can only be a good thing.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/gardens/mazes.shtml (http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/gardens/mazes.shtml)

To help you find your way out

Doug
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Hammy8241's experience with this is the same, pretty much, as mine.

The hardest thing for you will be to recognize when your body says "no", that you are overdoing it. If your are on Prednisone- I can't remember if you are- this is a further complication because you will have to deal with the false energy that drug makes you think you have.

The next hardest thing will be finding the kind of understanding in the work place that Hammy8241 and I were very- and I think exceptionally- lucky to have. The hard part for most employers is accepting you full-time if you are unable to meet their expectations. Most bosses will remind you they are a profit making outfit, not a charitable one if you fall too far behind, and come up with some part time scheme that sounds realistic but may cost you benefits. I hate to be one of those "hire a lawyer if..." people, but you still need to be aware of the law in our country just to make sure your employer is straight with you.

Document everything said to you when you come back. If you have an understanding boss, he or she might even be willing to discuss their expectations and their exceptions (allowing you time off to see doctors, etc.) made on your behalf, and put it in writing. Even the kindest, most amiable boss may back out of an agreed upon expectation if it is unwritten, just as you might forget yourself a condition put on your time off for doctor appointments (often a big sticking point for employers). This would help you match the expectations, and give you a way to cover yourself if anything discussed and agreed upon becomes an issue.

Psyborg
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey all...will tag on to this thread, as I think it is a related question. Does stress increase the WG problems? I have a job that is not physically difficult at all (I'm in IT), but is very high stress right now. I ended up in the hospital in May and even with the Prednisone I feel like the pain and fatigue symptoms are coming back again as the stress has ramped up further. Doesn't help that the prednisone is making it really hard to sleep at night either.

pberggren1
07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes, Psyborg, stress is a major factor for all illnesses but especially in Wegs.

Psyborg
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
That's gonna be rough for me...I've actually been a person that tended to strive on stress. Thank you for the info.

pberggren1
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Just listen to your body Psyborg. Learn to take more breaks.

Sangye
07-25-2010, 12:16 AM
That's gonna be rough for me...I've actually been a person that tended to strive on stress.
That has to change. It's not even negotiable with Wegs.

I've watched some members on here resist the change and suffer for it. Either the initial treatment drags on or they keep flaring, etc.... Then you get in a vicious cycle where the Wegs increases, so it interferes with your life, which increases stress, which increases Wegs.....

I've had relentless high stress since I was dx'ed and it's caused me nothing but trouble. Much of the stress I'm under is unavoidable--fallout from the Wegs. I've had to learn not to add to it and how to better manage what I can't avoid. No one likes to hear "You have to change." But Wegs is here to stay and is going to run the show if you don't.

Psyborg
07-25-2010, 12:51 AM
That has to change. It's not even negotiable with Wegs.

I've watched some members on here resist the change and suffer for it. Either the initial treatment drags on or they keep flaring, etc.... Then you get in a vicious cycle where the Wegs increases, so it interferes with your life, which increases stress, which increases Wegs.....

I've had relentless high stress since I was dx'ed and it's caused me nothing but trouble. Much of the stress I'm under is unavoidable--fallout from the Wegs. I've had to learn not to add to it and how to better manage what I can't avoid. No one likes to hear "You have to change." But Wegs is here to stay and is going to run the show if you don't.

Well that's definitely food for thought. I might have to back off of what I've been pursuing at work and tell them my body can't handle it anymore. Thank you for the feedback.

Col 23
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Hi all, interesting thread. I am not working at the moment. My doc has advised that for the next 6 months at least that I go at 10% and no stress and let the medication do its work. I also noted somewhere that while on Methotrexate that you need to rest. I find the same if I overdo it one day Im wiped out for two or three. Cant get up and move much, feel tired and listless and more aches and pains come in.
cheers Col 23

Sangye
07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Col, your doc gave you great advice. The only thing I'd say differently is that it's not just mtx-- any of the treatments require rest. Active Wegs burns up a lot of the body's resources. We don't expect flowers to grow in a forest that's on fire or even still smoldering.

Col 23
07-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Thanks Sangye. I suppose I was referring to mtx because thats what Im on. I do notice the diffence when I rest but still tend to think there is no tomorrow when Im feeling well as I want to get so much done in case I cant cope the next day. The problem is the mind is so active but the body soon lets me know to go slow.
cheers Col 23

Lightwarrior
07-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks Sangye. I suppose I was referring to mtx because thats what Im on. I do notice the diffence when I rest but still tend to think there is no tomorrow when Im feeling well as I want to get so much done in case I cant cope the next day. The problem is the mind is so active but the body soon lets me know to go slow.
cheers Col 23

I love Sangye's metaphor of a burning forest, my vivid imigination requires me to share the beautiful, sturdy green buds breaking through the nitrogen rich soil left from the fire. If we lay low and rest we can break through and reach for the sun again.

Seriously, I get the wanting to get everything done on a good day before the bad day hits. I become obsessive about making sure everything is in order before the storm. I actually do better at work because my co-workers and my boss aren't intimidated about making me leave early or not coming in, in the middle of the night if there is a diaster etc. I've learned that I can do a lot of "walking people through it" over the phone. I worry that at some point my co-workers will tire of being my guardian angels..but for now I am lucky.

elephant
07-25-2010, 04:13 AM
I use to try to get a bunch done....just incase I would get sick. I just break up the house work. Even though I am in medical remission, I still have to rest. If I do to much I get wiped out. LIke Sangye stated this is a life thing...even if we are in remission....it can come back...."I'LL be back"...from the Terminator movie. :)

Jack
07-25-2010, 05:39 AM
I used to suffer a lot from the Good Day/Bad Day syndrome and still do to some extent, but I realised that half of it was being caused by overdoing it on Good days and resting on Bad days.

Sangye
07-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I've gotten much better at the Good Day/Bad Day thing. I listen to my body better on the Good Day so that I don't overdo it. Sometimes that's just unavoidable. If I have to spend the day at JHU, it's going to be exhausting for me no matter what.

I've figured out how to plan "cushion" days surrounding a busy day. If I go to JHU on a Friday, that means I don't do anything big the day before (eg, groceries, lots of laundry). Depending on what shape I'm in, it might mean I need a 2-day cushion so I can store up strength. And it also means I don't do anything big the next day or two.

I actually see my week in terms of Doing Days and Cushion Days. The Cushion days keep me from crashing and burning, or from being constantly disappointed.