PDA

View Full Version : Arguments for or against a Religeous Faith Section?

Jack
07-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Many members of the Forum have strong religious beliefs, perhaps made stronger or weaker by their experience of illness and I know that they would often like to express themselves in these terms. However, as it stands, the forum rules prevent religion being discussed in detail to prevent the usual flame wars and bad feeling between what are often strongly held opinions.

The idea of this thread is that members can voice their opinions about a special Religion Section and what rules would have to be applied to it. It is completely unofficial and any final decision would be Andrew's province.

Please don't use the thread as an excuse to evangelise, but I would think that a simple statement of your own position would be OK. ;)

JanW
07-14-2010, 02:36 AM
I don' t care at all, one way or another; I agree it could become a flame war, though.

Kimbangu
07-14-2010, 04:45 AM
If they start that, I'm outta here. Sorry Jack I do respect you a great deal but I can just imagine what would happen.

Jack
07-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Perhaps I should have added my own views.

I think it would lead to bad feeling because I don't think it would stop at a simple statement of personal position on the subject. This is the reason why the rule was introduced in the first place. The moratorium in the "Your Thoughts on Dying" thread has worked well until now because in general members have, as requested, not responded to the religious views expressed. I think this would be far from the case in a dedicated section.

I see nothing wrong with things as they are currently.

Hammy8241
07-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Prefer religion was kept off site as now. No problems with with people 'praying' for others etc as its the thought that is important, not necessarily the wording. The forum is about WG and I can't see how, other than a crutch, it helps WG any more than a choc chip muffin.

I won't even mention who won the Ashes in case I upset someone.

Jack
07-14-2010, 05:13 AM
So, for the sake of the future harmony of this wonderful group of people, the following topics are hereinafter banned from discussion:

Politics (all forms of)
Religion (all forms of)
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie :)

I see nothing about sport. ;)

Sangye
07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Outside of this group I love hearing about others' religious beliefs and how they bring them comfort. But I agree it would be asking for trouble to begin a section for it here. People don't always understand why their comments might be hurtful to another. In my life, I've seen examples of this from practitioners of all faiths, even my own. It can happen in total innocence.

I love that our group doesn't engage in hurting each other. I was part of another group that allowed quite harsh statements to be made--on any topic, on a regular basis. It was a constant source of pain to me, whether the comments were directed at me or to another member. The moderators didn't see anything wrong with it and even joined in or defended the statements at times. I have deep respect for how Andrew moderates this group and how everyone cooperates in creating a truly supportive environment.

Luce
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
If a religious section was added I wouldn't visit that part of the site and I think we'd end up splitting the site in two, those who wanted to use the religious section would find themselves only posting there and not using the rest of the forum. This means it would only be half as fun!

I think there are other sites out there for those that want to discuss religion and long term illnesses, you don't need a WG specific site for those threads.

me2
07-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Its too bad but I have to agree that an open ended section on religious faith would degenerate into a battle field. Maybe it would be possible to have a thread where people share things from their faith, beliefs, philosophy, or viewpoint that has been helpful to them or to others. Allowing comment or discussion could be limited to positive comments or questions. If someones view were posted there that was disagreeable or offensive it would simply be ignored as no positive comment could be made.
I would love to hear what is helping keep others going through the extremes that WG puts us through. I have my own faith and beliefs but I am very open to hearing what others think and believe - and most especially what they have experienced. Thats how I learn things.
I know this is a field plagued with land mines but the flowers out there are so pretty.

Lightwarrior
07-15-2010, 01:58 AM
If a religious section was added I wouldn't visit that part of the site and I think we'd end up splitting the site in two, those who wanted to use the religious section would find themselves only posting there and not using the rest of the forum. This means it would only be half as fun!

I think there are other sites out there for those that want to discuss religion and long term illnesses, you don't need a WG specific site for those threads.,

Luce, I agree, well said

Col 23
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I agree I dont want this forum split, everyone is individual in their beliefs and I respect that but my thoughts are that this forum was
aimed at support and info for Weggies and its been operating well. Although we all have different opinions we dont have to agree or even disagree but celebrate our differences. I love you all and dont want to see any division.
Col 23

Col 23
07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Im 2 party preferred Saturday and Sunday.
Cheers col 23

andrew
07-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Okay I'll add my bit. For those of you that want a religious section in this forum I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed :) Sorry, but open religious discussion has been divisive in the past and I have no intention of letting that happen again, hence the rules section I added a while ago. The way we have it at the moment seems to be working. I think all of us respect each other's beliefs and that's awesome for such a diverse group of people. There is no issue with offering each other support by saing you're praying for them etc, just like it is now however any discussion about the why's and wherefores of each other's personal beliefs needs to be kept out of public discussion. If you want to, feel free to use the private messaging system. Sorry guys and gals, it's the only way to keep this place the way it is. We have a hard enough time day to day without getting upset over religous arguments (as has heppened before). I hope that's clear. I'm happy to answer any questions or clear up any points that I may have left a tad fuzzy :)

Sangye
07-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Whooya-- thanks Andrew. Every day I'm grateful for you creating and maintaining this place of comfort for us all. :)

Jack
07-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the official input Andrew. I think it reflects the consensus of opinion if the posts made to date are anything to go by and the Forum seems to work well as it stands. I started the thread in order to allow the airing of some feelings of frustration that were being voiced at the time, but they don't seem to have been pushed forward.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you know how much we all appreciate the Forum just as it is.

DEE
07-18-2010, 01:53 AM
thanks Andrew DEEx

pberggren1
07-18-2010, 05:24 AM
God Bless Andrew

JanW
07-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Thank you Andrew for starting this forum and for all of the work you do here!

Terri
07-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Amen!!
Ooopps, I needed at least 10 characters to post. Didn't know that was a rule. Now I do. LOL

Doug
07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Be forewarned, agnostic, wiccan, Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, atheist, etc., etc., alike: I will never let any of you, including the person for whom I pray, know it, but, as the need arises, in future, I will pray for you, a Christian prayer because that's my belief, but a prayer just the same. I've had my moment. Apologies to all. Those who have upset me, no apologies necessary: this is behind me. Thank you for your comments. The status quo works for most. In future, I won't warn anyone who steps outside the rules because the rules are not as all-inclusive as they seem to me and I am too much the old quality assurance guy to see the subtleties of "no politics/ no religion". [That reads: "at all", including references to prayer, mention of which surely upsets people who don't believe in a god or the practice, and similarly with politics, though the thread of politics that runs through the issues we face as weggies is real.] The prodigal son has returned. Slaughter the fatted calf! Ha!