PDA

View Full Version : How many of you??

Carly Hedge
07-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Have Medical Id bracelets or necklaces so if something happens that the EMTs or other emergency personnel are aware of your condition.
I have mentioned it to my Rheuma and she stated that its a good idea so my hub and I have been planning on getting one for me since I will be traveling alot soon.
She mentioned that the main thing should be Chronic Pred then my condition.

Just wondering. :)

elephant
07-14-2010, 01:56 AM
I don't and should.

Jack
07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I carry cards stating that I take Pred and Warfarin. I've considered a bracelet or dog tags but done nothing about it.

Carly Hedge
07-14-2010, 02:01 AM
my hubby and I have been delaying it but we have to get to it ourselves. :)

Col 23
07-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Yes I have one and wear it everyday. I dont want any of my friends or family to worry. I cant expect them to remember my meds or to fully understand my condition. I just advise them that I have a bracelet and paramedics should ring the number. If I am out on my own I know that is one of the things they would find if I passed out. I think it is a very good idea. I have become dizzy at the shopping centres and worried that something could happen. Now I dont worry so much with the id medical bracelet.
cheers Col 23

marta
07-14-2010, 04:35 AM
I have a blank one... just to keep them guessing. ha ha.
Not enough space to put all the stuff down, and it keeps changing all the time. I have my current info taped to my driver's license, and hopefully the bracelet will tweak them to look further.
I've been looking at some nice ones online that have enough space to put the pertinent info down.
The prednasone is important and so is the cyclophosphamide ( I was reading some disturbing posts last night on here about not enough anasthesia during surgeries, and I believe that's the cytox - according to the info sheet that comes with the drug, anasthetic needs to be adjusted for people taking it - eeek)

Hammy8241
07-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Steroid card only. Might consider carrying more info if overseas but otherwise not worried.

Col 23
07-14-2010, 04:53 AM
marta where was the threat about not enough anasethesia I have to go under soon.
Col 23

Jack
07-14-2010, 05:03 AM
As far as I was aware, the effect of Cyclophosphamide is to increase the anaesthetic effect. In any case, the anaesthetist should speak to you and should be familiar with all the drugs you are taking.

elephant
07-14-2010, 05:15 AM
That is why the anaesthisologist asks about all your medication. They look at drug reaction and how much you are taking....because most meds are metabolized in the liver. They know if your on heavy meds there might be some adjustment on the anaesthia when you go under. So always be honest on alcohol too.

Carly Hedge
07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Ok guys, well this is the site that my hub and I are going to use when we go forth with mine and I thought I would share if you guys wanted to get one for the future.

Medical ID Jewelry and Services by MedicAlert Foundation (http://www.medicalert.org/)

That way the emergency personnel has someone to contact other then just digging around for a card and such. Hope this helps. :)

ranpar01
07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
We got one for my Dad, I think it's a good idea if you're taking a blood thinner like coumadin. My Dad has to be on that for DVT blood clots. I have read on here that others are taking that or similar as well.

Sangye
07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
I have one for coumadin. I have a detailed wallet card that I've posted about on here before. It's handy to give to EMTs, who can hand it to the ER folks.

Luce
07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm on my second bracelet (stupidly got one made with my maiden name on, only 6 months or so before getting married) which I wear pretty much every day - except yesterday and today! If I take it off for some reason I tend to forget to put it back on for a couple of days.

I originally thought I should get one last Summer when I started taking long walks on my own to try and get on top of the weight. I wasn't taking my purse with my steroid card in with me and thought that should I get into trouble I needed to let people know about the wegs.

I have a laser etched stainless steel bracelet with my name and condition on the front, and on the back it just reads "Meds: Prednisolone, Immunosuppressants" and my husband's mobile phone number. I didn't want to be anymore specific with than immunosuppressants because they frequently change, but I know I'll always be on one of them.
When they ring my husband he can tell them some of my history and doctor's names etc so I think I'm covered.

PS: Love your avatar Carly!

Carly Hedge
07-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Hi Luce.
Thanks for the avatar love! Understandable about the whole name change-probably didn't think about but you probably had ALOT on your plate when you purchased it. I talked to my Rheuma on what should be on it and since we pretty much know which drugs are going to be more constant then the others which why I haven't gotten one sooner. Us-Weggies just have to find the right drug cocktail that works best for us and that does not kill our livers but also manages our condition safely. Because right out of the hospital, I was taking about 23 pills a day! Then I dropped down to about/around 13 pills a day. Now I am at 6 pills a days for the moment. :) Also Congrats on the nuptials. :)

Nancy
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Luce - I love the way that you have it. As a medical provider - it alerts me to the big things to watch out for. Recently in the ER for Wegs symptoms...the ER physician, although pleasant - stated she had no idea what Wegener's Granulomatosis was, then tried the vascultitis approach - again, I recieved a VERY blank stare....with excessive pause of silence. The important things are the potential immunosuppressed status and prednisone. That will change some of the actions that people may take until they run some labs to check your status... I have thought about getting a bracelet - but always felt "where do I start"... My only saving grace during the ER visit - I had called my Weg doc's office and left a message re: issues. Within about 2 minutes of her coming into the exam room in the ER - he called. I gave a 1.5 min update on status and ER doc in room - not aware of disease much less treatment path. He requested phone to be handed to her - talked with her about 2-3 minutes. He told me plan after he was done with her - treated appropriately with no further questions... Tell you what - talk about feeling that all the planets were aligned at that moment!!!
I will probably have to get one done now that you have shared your wisdom in detailing the information.... Thanks!!

LisaMarie
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
i am suppose to get one that states WG tracheal stenosis and mess and etc..have not found one big enough..plus my crazy allergies...thought maybe a tattoo across my neckline would work..but i hate needles....plan to look here in florida today....i know some unique jewlry artist ....have a great day

LisaMarie
07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Ok guys, well this is the site that my hub and I are going to use when we go forth with mine and I thought I would share if you guys wanted to get one for the future.
Medical ID Jewelry and Services by MedicAlert Foundation (http://www.medicalert.org/)

That way the emergency personnel has someone to contact other then just digging around for a card and such. Hopeo this helps. :)
Thanks for the web link will check it out

stikker
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
I have a thumb drive on my key chain marked "medical info" It is easy for me to update it as meds change, etc. I have decreased renal function and want anyone treating me to be aware of it. If I am unable to communicate they can get all my info.

drz
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I have a thumb drive on my key chain marked "medical info" It is easy for me to update it as meds change, etc. I have decreased renal function and want anyone treating me to be aware of it. If I am unable to communicate they can get all my info.

In what format? Is it a special program? i have a program called Health File where I keep all my medical info and lab results on a PDA but itonly worksif I am conscious to access the info for them and have my PDA along.

stikker
07-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I just put everything in excell. Everyone has it. It is a low tech method, but it works.

drz
07-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Are there any good health record or health file programs available for smart phones like I-phones that would work well for tracking our medical info?

Jack
07-21-2010, 06:16 AM
The problem with being too clever with recording your health info is that a medic will probably only check your wallet or handbag for clues.

Doug
07-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Carley Hedge- Yes, thanks for the link. More and more, I'm starting to appreciate the need to have this sort of thing!

pberggren1
07-21-2010, 09:20 AM
I keep puting it off but I should have something in my wallet or a medic alert bracelet.