PDA

View Full Version : Anti inflammatory meds

andrew
07-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey peoples. Happened to cough yesterday as is the standard thing. Unfortunately when I coughed this time I felt a massive 'snap' in my ribs. Ouch. I felt for sure that I'd broken something that I need. Anyhoo, went to the ER, waited for only six hours 'cause I was fast-tracked (ha!) only to discover that it was muscular. I was pretty darn disappointed I can tell you lol. Not.

The ER doc who by the way was awesome and actually knew about WG (second one in a row), said that I should keep away from anti-inflammatory meds with my kidney involvement. My Kidney function these days is normal though so I have called my GP to see what he thinks. Does anyone else have experience or opinions on this topic?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, the pain meds they gave me are reeeeeeaaaaallly trippy and I can't get it together to search for sumthin....better sign off now.... o.O

Sangye
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I can't help with the kidney question but just wanted to say I hope you heal up quickly. SO glad your rib wasn't broken. :)

marta
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey Andrew,

I too was told to stay away from anti-inflamatory drugs because of my kidneys and my stomach. I kinda overdid it with the Advil and Toridol (sp?) just before I got diagnosed. I now carry codeine with me. I was also told to stay away from coffee, and am fairly new to this game, so I don't know if I am to be trusted, but that's my experience for what it's worth.

Hope you're felling better soon, in the meantime, enjoy the trip???

andrew
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Hope you're felling better soon, in the meantime, enjoy the trip???

I'm lovin' every second :-)

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be told much the same when the doc eventually rings me back. Pity. Would be good to walk upright :-p

marta
07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Bummer. I really do hope you feel better, and walk upright pronto.
Live long and prosper with bipedal locomotion...

Jack
07-13-2010, 08:16 PM
My renal consultant won't let his patients take ant-inflamatory type pain killers.

I too suffer from both breaking ribs and also pulling muscles in my chest and I'm damned if I can tell the difference! They both hurt a lot, often getting worse during the first few days. The pain then varies day to day and goes away after a few weeks.

andrew
07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Doc just called back. No anti-inflammatory meds allowed. Dang. :-(

Jack
07-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't be such a whimp! The pain will only last for a few weeks! ;)

andrew
07-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Don't be such a whimp! The pain will only last for a few weeks! ;)

LOL!! Sorry Jack, I'll learn to suck it up!! ;-)

Sangye
07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL--Wegs ain't for sissies. :D

JanW
07-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Ain't that the truth.

I try to stay away from the anti-inflammatories generally because I'm on mtx and have to watch for liver toxicity.

elephant
07-14-2010, 06:13 AM
I was told long time ago stay away from advil products because it can cause Kidney damage.

Sangye
07-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Anyone on pred (even low doses) should not use any ibuprofen at all because pred is already hard on the stomach.