PDA

View Full Version : Swimmer's ear or flare?

lafounk2
07-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry, I haven't posted in a while. Josh has been doing very well (knock on wood). He's on dialysis 3x week which isn't good, but he's suppose to get transplanted end of July or Aug. I'm concerned right now, however, because he started with ear aches over the weekend. We have a pool for which wast 90's last week and he swam every day. His pediatrician says it's swimmer's ear due to redness inside and pain to touch. He has drops to help treat it. My question is.... how does he know what it's 100% swimmer's ear and not a flare? I'm a sorry wart and know how nasty this disease can be. We see Dr. Peter Merkel in Boston this Thursday for a 3-month follow-up. Perhaps he can shed more light on it and relieve me of my fears. Josh feels great otherwise and no sinus issues anymore. What are your thoughts?

Jack
07-13-2010, 02:07 AM
When I try to cut down on my steroids I get something very similar to swimmer's ear caused by blockage and inflammation of the eustation tubes. I get ear ache and fluid in the ear type deafness. This is a Wegener's symptom, but does not seem to be a precursor to a flare and there seem to be no other symptoms. A week or two on increased steroids and it goes away.
Has he reduced his steroid dose recently?

lafounk2
07-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Hi Jack, Josh got down to 5mg of pred appx 2 months ago. I just spoke with his kidney dr about how to know if it's a flare vs. swimmers ear. She said that WG is in the inner ear lining and swimmer's ear is outside the canal. Thanks for your input. I'm so nervous as this whole WG started with ear infection then sinus for 3 months. Let's pray it will go away soon. Josh's current drugs consist of:
Prednisone 5mg
Immuran
labetolol
Levothryoxine
Lipitor
Delta D3
RenaVite
RenaJel
Coumadin
Panprotazole

Jack
07-13-2010, 03:05 AM
The drug list looks fine. The only thing I would comment on is the lack of a calcium supplement. This would usually be prescribed in addition to the D3 to prevent osteoporosis.

The point is well made about the difference between inner and outer ear involvement. Mine is inner ear.

Aunnie
07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Josh's mom,

I also see Drs Merkel and Dr Paul Monach at BUMC.

I've had ear problems with pain deep inside my ears and skin lesions on the outer cartilage ,usually in the folds of the outer ear.

I use to see an ENT in RI but quickly changed to Dr. John Stram at BUMC in the Moakley BLDG. on Harrison AVE. He is quite knowledgeable regarding WG AND VERY KIND AND COMPASSIONATE.
THAT ALWAYS HELPS. Dr Merkel can refer you. Dr.Strams Phone # is 617-638-8124

\ANYMORE THOUGHTS FEEL FREE TO ASK

Good Luck Aunnie