PDA

View Full Version : Incidental Exposure to Chemo

Sangye
07-12-2010, 03:32 AM
A great article that reminds us to be careful when handling the chemo drugs we take (ctx, mtx, imuran). Family members and caregivers should use precautions when dispensing pills. Pill containers, etc... should be washed very thoroughly after being used to store chemo pills.

Lifesaving chemo may put workers' lives at risk - Health - Cancer - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38114586/ns/health-cancer/)

Lightwarrior
07-12-2010, 05:07 AM
With so many kids in the house, I try to keep my toliet off limits and clean it frequently (what goes in must come out)

elephant
07-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks Sangye for the information!

julia
07-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Interesting article. When my husband was having chemo he wore a pump for 2 weeks at a time. He was also having radiation. I always wondered if I was being exposed to anything.

Our dog used to always sleep in our bed. (Not my choice my husbands) (choose your battles). anyway about a month before my husband was diagnosed he would not sleep in our bed, but as soon as my husband left for work he would jump in our bed. I think he sensed something.

Jack
07-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Dogs can certainly detect cancer in humans and perhaps other illness too. There has been work done to see if this can be used as some sort of diagnosis method. I've seen it in news articles on TV and I'm sure a Google search would throw up some information.

Sangye
07-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Parents of children receiving certain types of radiation treatment are not allowed to be within 3 feet of the child for a day or so. It's heartbreaking for them. I wonder how the health care workers take precautions when caring for them.

I love the stories about dogs sniffing out cancer and warning of upcoming seizures, etc....

elephant
07-15-2010, 08:26 AM
I too saw a video on tv a golden retriever sniffing around and found cancer( patient lying flat).

Lightwarrior
07-15-2010, 12:50 PM
I keep my bathroom door shut so that my boxer won't drink out of the toilet. She knows before I do when I'm going to feel bad, she becomes very protective and fusses when my grandkids climb on me. Normally she plays with them and follows them around. My 6 year old grand daughter Alexis noticed first, she told her Mom that I was going to be sick the next day because Ciara (the boxer) wouldn't let her play with me.

Sangye
07-15-2010, 10:57 PM
My dog Lotus and I have this funny behavior when barfing is involved. (Good opening line, huh?) She barfs once every few months--just bile-- and looks a little insecure when she's going to do it. She actually comes to find me and trots over to the tile where she's going to do it. I always stand next to her and put my hand on her belly until she's through and it seems to relax her.

At various times since dx I've had some bouts of barfing. Every time, Lotus comes in the bathroom and sticks her head under my armpit while I'm "engaged." She stays there until I'm finished. I've never seen a dog do that. Usually they avoid the smell, and are disturbed by the fear in a person. My boy Patch sure steers clear!

I call her my little Nursling. We're Barf Buddies. :D

elephant
07-15-2010, 11:00 PM
That is so sweet. Dogs are amazing and glad you have a barf buddy!

Sangye
07-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Having shared this little nugget, I do want to keep the thread on topic about chemo dangers. Our docs don't warn us about it.

Col 23
07-15-2010, 11:19 PM
What are the dangers of taking Methotrxeate? Can other people in the house be affected in any way??
Col 23

Sangye
07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Mtx is chemo, too. It's milder than ctx at the doses we take, but chemo is chemo. I'd use the same precautions. If you inject it, dispose of any gauze used to dab remnants as you would with ctx.

Brooke
07-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the link Sangye, interesting information and scary to hear that too.
I love hearing the dog stories too!

Lightwarrior
07-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Lotus is very sweet, everyone should be so lucky as to have a barf buddy!! :cool:

pberggren1
07-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Getting back to Dogs.

I sure miss my Dog Smokey. She was a very good dog. We got her as a pup in 1983 and had to put her down in 1992 - she had meningitis. I still cry sometimes when I think about her. I still miss her dearly.