PDA

View Full Version : Using the Search feature question

Cubby
07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Is there a way to utilize the search feature and to specify results be shown as posts rather than as threads? I would like to find individual posts with the keyword I am searching rather than having to read an entire thread to find what I am searching.

I'm familiar with V-bulletin forums and have seen this option to view search results as posts on other v-bulletin forums but I can't find that here.

tia!

Cubby

andrew
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Hmmm...you're right. If you click on 'Advanced Search' near the top right of the page then click on 'search by type' directly under the 'advanced search' link on the resulting page, you'll get a search with an option to display results as posts (near the bottom of the page). However, while that appears to display as posts it still only takes you to the initial post in the thread. It will however highlight the search terms on the page but I don't think that's what you're looking for. I'll have a poke around and see if there's either an option I can set or if one of the upgrades the site needs will take care of it.

Cubby
07-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Thank you Andrew. I did use the advance search feature choosing keyword(s?) search entire postes, and than under additional options search type checked the post selection, but like you said it still shows the results as threads. I did not go through the threads because some had 40-70 replies.

I'm a member of another v-bulletin forum and always use the advanced search where I can select keyword and then search thread titles only or search entire posts, and then the choice exists to select results appear as threads or posts. In this case I would be looking for posts.

If you think it would help, I can find out what version of v-bulletin they are using. It might save you some time digging around if the version would help.

thank you.

andrew
07-10-2010, 04:13 PM
If you think it would help, I can find out what version of v-bulletin they are using. It might save you some time digging around if the version would help.

That'd be good, thanks. The version will appear at the bottom of every page. It'll look something like
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.0

Cubby
07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok, I will look for it. I also just asked the owner and 'techie support' admin there.

here is what it looks like from the other forum.

Show Results as
Threads Posts

Will update when I can find the info.
It is very helpful, imo, to be able to get results by posts. Because if someone was searching by hospital, clinic, area - in my case Chicago - one could find the specific info and look at the posts first before deciding reading the entire thread would be beneficial.

thank you again Andrew.

Well my copy and paste didn't show up as I hoped, but I will see what I can do to find out which version. TY.

Cubby
07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Found it!