PDA

View Full Version : family relations

coffeelover
07-04-2010, 06:25 AM
I know we have approached the subject of inheriting this disease and have so far concluded that this is not the case, but I was wondering about the auto immune componant? I have a daughter suffering from anxiety, general malaise, depression and she really never feels well. She is 21 years old and seeing a psychiatrist for the anxiety and depression. but more and more I wonder if there are other factors related to the auto immune or maybe even the endochrine system (which is passed on in my family) to help with the onset of her more recent (severe) symtoms. I remember, when I was her age and slightly older, never really feeling well and having some of these same issues. Oh, please tell me it is not possible for her to have WG? All advice or recommendations would be welcome.
Just a note....I am planning on attending her next doctore visit and that visit will be with my doctor who knows me like a book. Believe me, if he has any ideas, we will be geting those answers from him that day.
Do any of the rest of you have immediate family issues that have come to light?
LIsa coffeelover

Sangye
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Lisa, the vast majority of Westerners have subclinical adrenal exhaustion. That disrupts the entire endocrine system and can cause the emotional imbalances you describe. It can even cause severe depression, not just the blues. If the adrenal exhaustion is moderate, you'd feel generally lousy-- not much energy, injure easily, prone to allergies, colds and infections, tire easily, malaise, etc.... A frequent sign of adrenal weakness is using increasing amounts of caffeine and/ or sugar to boost the energy.

Adrenal weakness is compounded each generation unless the parents specifically correct their adrenal imbalances prior to conceiving a child. This is why the same cascade of symptoms often "run" in a family.

If it were my daughter, I'd have the MD rule out clinical disease. As long as nothing dire showed up, I'd bring her to a holistic physician to restore general balance. I just wanted to offer this as a possible explanation of what might be happening.

jola57
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
While there is no hereditaty connection, who is to say that there may not be some precursors to this disease that some people just tolerate that much worse and get this disease. I strongly believe in seeking help as early as possible, and while not big on holistic approach without an MD's involvment, I agree with Sangye, that seeing one may complement the treatment. I know from experience that it is not easy to see your child in mental pain, I know from experience. I hope that here will be a rainbow at the end for you and your daughter.

LisaMarie
07-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Hello....I just found out I have an uncle on my father's side of the family with kawasaki disease...kind if weird both of up gave a rare disease in vasculitis group....it amazes me what u find in your family tree

DEE
07-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Hello....I just found out I have an uncle on my father's side of the family with kawasaki disease...kind if weird both of up gave a rare disease in vasculitis group....it amazes me what u find in your family tree

when i was dxt wg last year my daughter was feeling unwell she was just 29
i had just started my treatnent when she was taken into hospital and she had several tests stayed for two weeks and was dxt with Crohns dieases so at one time we were both on preds at the same time not good news
a year on she has now nearly got it under control but was off work six months altogether DEE x

Sangye
07-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Dee, if your daughter is so inclined, Crohn's disease can often be treated holistically quite well. I know of cases where it's been resolved. I don't want to get into a full discussion about it since it's not a Wegs topic, but you can email me if you want more info.

staystronglivelong
08-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Approx 6 months before my hubby's diagnosis with WG, his cousin was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. It seems odd - cousins both having autoimmune diseases. I do worry about my daughter and hope that Wegs never turns out to be hereditary.

Dee - sorry to hear your daughter has Crohns disease. Never rains but it pours. Hope you are both doing well x

pwc51
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I recently dicovered that my mother had Temporal Arteritis before she died. Her death was largely unrelated to the disease although the medication she was on was, I believ, a contributing factor. My daughter (16) is currently suffering like coffeelover's - largely started when I fell ill with WG about 1 year ago - she too will be seeing a psychiatrist as the doctor can find no clinical disease.

Any other thoughts / comments welcome!

DEE
08-26-2010, 12:00 AM
before i was dxt with wg i had a biopsy for Temporal Artertis which came back unconclusive not a biopsy you want to have done :crying:
my dsaughter is doing much better meds seem to be doing the trick although she still gets very tired DEEx

LisaMarie
08-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Dee
Have they checked her thyroid?
also sometimes it is the foods we eat ...a food diary my help too
just a thought
Hope she gets better soon...we all know how much it sucks to be tired all the time.....
Have a good day:hug1::hug3:here's a hug for both of you

DEE
08-26-2010, 03:15 AM
[QUOTE=LisaMarie;23755]Dee
Have they checked her thyroid?
Yes i think they did thanks for thinking of us
it makes talking to each other interesting usually if ive been asleep on a weekend when shes at home i ll ring and her hubby will say SHE S ASLEEP:rolleyes1:
ive just picked up another sicknote from gp another thirteen weeks !! plenty of time to catch up on sleep :mellow:

freakyschizogirl
08-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Well i'm gonna sashay in and wipe ya all out with my family.

My mum is arthritc and has been on Methortrexate and pred...now off the meth, still on the pred

My grandad had a rare form of Lupus

So although WG doesnt run in the family...the auto immune diseases are still there.

elephant
08-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Autoimmune disease run in my family...grave disease, RA, arteritis nodosa, and me. :)

Sangye
08-27-2010, 08:26 AM
I got nothin'.

Deanne Hull
08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Dee, gosh I hope you both get better soon. Whats going on with the world so many people are being
diagnosed with auto immune disorders it is quite disturbing...

Sangye
08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Whats going on with the world so many people are being
diagnosed with auto immune disorders it is quite disturbing...
Several decades of exposure to processed food, pesticides, plastics, increasing use of chemicals in the home, air pollution, water pollution, use of antibiotics in farm animals, genetically-modified crops, etc.....

elephant
08-27-2010, 10:44 AM
We need to get back to the caveman days. Hunting and gathering. :flapper::lol::tongue1:

Deanne Hull
08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi Sangye, i have detoxed my house with natural cleaning stuff etc and am encouraging my children to do the same, I helped my 21yo son last night with his shopping ( he asked me to go with him as he lives out of home now ) and put all the good cleaning stuff in his trolley and i check all the labels on items now. We do try and grow our on veggies and have filtered water as well.

I can tell the difference when i go in to someone's home who use chemicals now, i seem to be really sensitive to it maybe because of the wegs as well.

Sangye
08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Good for you, Deanne. It'll make a big difference now and in the long-term.

RCOSSIO
08-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Lisa my uncle was diagnosed with WG in 1992 and my grandfather his father passed away in 1968 of a kidney disease which was not determined back then as to the cause of his ailment...

oh well....i guess some stubborn cells stuck with me

JanW
08-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm like Sangye - no one in the family has an autoimmune disease.

pberggren1
09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
My mom's cousin has Giant Cell Arteritis.

drz
09-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Several decades of exposure to processed food, pesticides, plastics, increasing use of chemicals in the home, air pollution, water pollution, use of antibiotics in farm animals, genetically-modified crops, etc.....

I think many people agree with this statement. Wegener's is reported to be rather rare as in 1 case per 20,000 or 30,000 people. I doubt I know a thousand people and I know of half dozen people in my community with Wegener's disease but we have been exposed to considerable pollution at work and in our community.

pberggren1
09-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I think many people agree with this statement. Wegener's is reported to be rather rare as in 1 case per 20,000 or 30,000 people. I doubt I know a thousand people and I know of half dozen people in my community with Wegener's disease but we have been exposed to considerable pollution at work and in our community.

Where do you live drz?

It seems to me I have heard of a case of a community in Montana where there were a few Weggies in one town. A mining town I think.

drz
09-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Where do you live drz?

It seems to me I have heard of a case of a community in Montana where there were a few Weggies in one town. A mining town I think.

Our pollution came from a garbage burner in town and a coal burning power plant in town. The building we worked at was 100 years old with lots of asbestoes, mold, and next to garbage burner. Our drinking water comes from lakes and rivers which is this rural area are heavily contaminated with mercury, pesticides, and fertilizers from farming operations since fields run off into rivers and drinking water.

marta
09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Well i'm gonna sashay in and wipe ya all out with my family.

My mum is arthritc and has been on Methortrexate and pred...now off the meth, still on the pred

My grandad had a rare form of Lupus

So although WG doesnt run in the family...the auto immune diseases are still there.

Hey FSG, I'm sashaying in right behind you.... my sister has psoriatic arthritis and went through her own pred days (her arthritis is under control but she still gets the psoriasis when she's stressed out), and my dad also has a rare form of Lupus.

marta
09-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Our pollution came from a garbage burner in town and a coal burning power plant in town. The building we worked at was 100 years old with lots of asbestoes, mold, and next to garbage burner. Our drinking water comes from lakes and rivers which is this rural area are heavily contaminated with mercury, pesticides, and fertilizers from farming operations since fields run off into rivers and drinking water.

I also work in a bulding that's a hundred years old (a National Historic Site actually) and just went through a major face lift (I think it had asbestos in the basement), but there are three of us that worked in about a 10 foot radius that are all sick with weird diseases right now. I've been diagnosed with WG, my other co-worker with Lyme disease - and that diagnosis took a long time, and the third is as of yet undiagnosed but I've talked to you guys about her symptoms on another thread. Kinda spooky.