PDA

View Full Version : Increased heart rate while on pred?

LisaMarie
07-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Have a question ???? Do any of yall have periods of rapid heart rate ...like short runs ...since you started taking pred or methotrexate.....I have them if I am too active...about 140's but they stop quick and last only about 1-2 minutes....not sure if I should be concerned or not.....I feel like I am analysing everthing that happen to my body...ugh

Sangye
07-01-2010, 01:52 AM
I had that at the higher doses of pred. I have a lot of lung involvement though, so just getting up and moving would often cause my heart rate to soar.

It can occur as a result of the pred being absorbed and/or your body's attempts to detox the mtx. (One way the body deals with a toxin is to speed up the circulation so it's removed faster)

However, it could also be a sign of heart involvement. When's the last echo you had?

elephant
07-01-2010, 02:50 AM
LisaMarie I would have it checked out. Need to get a echocardiogram done and see a Cardiologist soon. Talk to your primiary physician today and leave a message with his nurse to get back to you. You might also have to wear a Holter monitor for a couple of days or week to see variations of why your heart rate goes up...and down...

Sangye
07-01-2010, 02:54 AM
In the thread about Wegs and Your Heart, Jack posted a case study about a 23-yr old man whose only signs of a heart attack were sudden tachycardia and low blood pressure. Wegs was destroying his heart and the heart attack killed him.

Jack
07-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Definetly worth mentioning to your doc. You might find that you are prescribed a Beta Blocker to regulate it.

LisaMarie
07-01-2010, 03:50 AM
had an echo last fall....left messages for my PCP and still awaiting Rhuem to call back....Thanks for the advise...I know I must sound like an obessed crazed person to the docs but I would rather be checked out and be wrong then ignore it and be right...ughh the sgag continues...I think I hear a milk dud calling my name...lol

Sangye
07-01-2010, 04:30 AM
If they give you a hard time, fax them that case study. The man was doing well on his Wegs treatment when it happened. Even the article's conclusions recommend a "low threshold" for ordering an echo.

LisaMarie
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah me my PCP has no problem ordering an echo....will not be done till probably Monday...That's when the normal tech is here...rural care can be fickle at times...so would rather have the same tech that did my previous echos do this one....finally something went" smooth as budder."..as my young son would say...he had problem with his T's...lol...have a great day

Sangye
07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
That's great. If it happens again before Monday, get one done sooner. It doesn't really matter if the same tech does it (from what I've been told), it only matters that they have the previous report to compare.

elephant
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Glad to hear that LisaMarie. Take good care, let us know how it went Monday.