PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with cervical (neck) lymph node resection?

Palmyra
06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Hola to the group!

Successful tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy/sinus clearing for the daughter Tuesday of this past week. Really liked her local ENT surgeon....but left with a few questions. Due to prolonged infection in her laryngeal tonsil, a lymph node in her neck is swollen (duration of four+months, needle biopsy suggested it reactive to the tonsilar infection). It is hoped that it may resolve with the infected tonsil removed, but if it does not, the brainy team at Mayo suggested it may also need to be removed.

I know auxillary lymph node resection (ie, common after surgery for breast cancer) can cause circulatory impairment.....anyone with experience with cervical lymph node resection? We allowed a local (Texas,) surgeon do this most recent surgery, but if lymph node resection is more serious, I would consider taking her back up to the Mayo Clinic, Rochester. Any votes?

Thanks,
Palmyra, mom of Alison, Crohn's '99, WG'06

PS...I am trying to post a picture of my favorite mountain to my profile and I am IT impaired. Suggestions welcome...I am a Mac user :)

Sangye
06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Glad the recent surgery went so well! The anatomy of the neck is so complicated. I suggest getting the most highly skilled dr you can find if you decide Alison should have that surgery. You may want to get more than one opinion on it as well.

elephant
06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Glad surgery went well. I agree with Sangye on getting more than one opinion.

jola57
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Both my sons suffer from sinusitis, alergies in the summer are relentless. Both have swollen lymph nodes and have had them from birth. They swell more during summer allergy prone months. Definitely get a second and third opinion to make sure that next surgery is necessary and indicated.