PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

andrew
06-26-2010, 10:45 PM
A few weeks ago I went to see the doctor in a rather worked-up state. I was really stressed (much better now) and amongst one of the things he told me was to get a hobby. It occurred to me that I really don't have a hobby that I can just get lost in and get some 'away' time. So, I went to the local Compter auction house and bought myself a server. Specifically a SUN V880.

For the IT literate amongst us, it has:

# Four UltraSPARC III processors.
# 8 GB of main memory.
# Integrated Fibre Channel disk subsystem with optional multipathing to all disks. This subsystem supports a maximum of twelve, 10,000 RPM 73 GB disks for a total capacity of 876 GB.
# Hot-swap PCI slots, disks, power supplies, and cooling fan trays

For the non-IT literate, it's really cool!

It measures 74.1cm high x 48cm wide by 82.6cm deep and weighs in heavier than even me at 120KG. For some reason I didn't fathom the enormity of the device, thinking it would fit neatly in my room and double as a side-table for my bed. Wrong. It is oh so much larger than I thought and needs two out of its three power supplies running just to boot up hahahaha. Oh yes, it screams like a banshee when it's running too. Anyway, all of that aside I'm going to persevere. I'm going to buy some more bits for it and make it better....mmmmwwwwaaaaahahahahaha. When I've finished mucking with it, it'll go into the garage and me my media server and maybe, if I can be bothered, run a database of some kind to track something which I haven't yet thought of :-) Maybe I can use it to calculate the power bill!!!

How much you ask? Well, they cost up to $30,000 when they were new. This one cost me $21 and a further $100 to transport to my place :-)

If anyone can think of a good use for it then please let me know :-)

Jack
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Great to hear that you are getting a hobby to get lost in. :)

I've no idea what you would do with a server in your garage, I've only ever come across them running the office systems where I used to work. Perhaps you could set up your own design office. ;)

Sangye
06-27-2010, 12:30 AM
LOL-- The only kind of server I'd be interested in having is someone who can cook for me. :D

I'm really glad to hear you've found a hobby. So important to find something that brings you joy. :)

Lightwarrior
06-27-2010, 12:47 AM
In your picture it kinda looks like one of those old timey electric guitar amps. You could lean an electric guitar up against it to promote your "rock and roll" image (lol). Seriously, it sounds like a way cool system.