PDA

View Full Version : Skin lesions

Terry
10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Do any of you have skin lesions? I was just telling my physical therapist the other day about these skin lesions I've been getting on my nose since the beginning of the year. These breakouts usually are in patches of three or four and are primarily on the left side of my nose. They are not zits, but blister-like things. Tonight I was reading a site about symptoms of W.G., and darned if it didn't list blister-like lesions. :eek: I was wondering if any of you have those lesions and what you think about it.

andrew
10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I have Cholinergic Urticaria: eMedicine - Urticaria, Cholinergic : Article by Robert A Schwartz (http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic442.htm)

Could what you have be close to this?

Terry
10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Andrew, that seems to be saying they pop up and then go away relatively quickly. Mine take a couple of weeks to go away.

andrew
10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Mmm...yes that's true. However (something I should have added), mine popped up earlier this year and are still to go away :-) I have daily antihistamine which calms it down nicely.

Terry
10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, I'll just add it to the list of symptoms for the Rheumy to consider. The lesions started when my sinuses went all out of whack and seemed to be infected. I've had what I thought was a sinus infection since the first of the year. :confused: I thought the lesions were related to hormones and even stopped using my hormone creams but that didn't stop the lesions. I have four of them right now that are in the healing stage. When they're blistered out, I have to be careful not to mess with them. They heal much better if I don't rub them or anything.

andrew
10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Speaking of symptom lists, have the docs finalised a diagnosis yet?

Terry
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh no, I'm still in the process and hoping to get a final diagnosis and get on treatment before there's any kidney damage. :( However, it doesn't seem really common to get a diagnosis without being in a crisis. My appointment isn't until the 23rd, but I'm gathering up all the test results so he'll have something to go by. The immune system tests they did are quite remarkable - very low readings in IgG subclasses 1, 3, and 4, and very low readings in Immunoglobulins A, M, and E. Immunoglobulin A is so low, the reading is -14. Normal is between 70 - 400.

andrew
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
However, it doesn't seem really common to get a diagnosis without being in a crisis.

Heh...yeah I'd have to agree with that. Well, I hope the appointment on the 23rd gives you a result, whatever that turns out to be! It's be nice for you to finally know what your enemy looks like.

Jack
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Skin problems - yes, I can tick that one off too!

At the same time as my sinus problems, I had a variety of skin lesions. Some like warts, others different types of blister. My hands used to bleed on the steering wheel. Nice!

I also had joint pain, eye inflamation and finally kidney and lung damage. I do hope you get a diagnosis soon Terry. I'm sure the only real test to confirm Wegener's is biopsy, you need to press for this.

Terry
10-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Jack, I do intend to press for a biopsy when I see the Rheumy on the 23rd. I remember talking to my sister in law at the beginning of summer about these strange breakouts on my nose. This sure is an explanation for why I've been going around looking like a dalmatian. :rolleyes: Luckily, they are easily disguised with makeup, but I'm not a makeup person and have never liked that option.

crackers
12-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Yeah John gets them mainly on his head,they worried me at first because one of the meds they had John on he had to stay out of the sun and first thing i thought was skin cancer but they tend to come and go
Sue x

Jack
12-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Don't get too complacent about the skin cancer thing, I've had to have several patches removed over the years. Some of the drugs we have to take are quite toxic.

crackers
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
I am getting there it just seemed to be one thing after another especially with him having the bowel cancer too.I have decided not to worry about things anymore but to live each day to the best we can.I am still moseyimg around the site and its great to see that mainly everyone has that positive attitude.We have a lot to learn I can see
Thank You All for your support
Hugs Sue xx

Terry
12-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Andrew, I had a big breakout of the red blisters again last week. When I'm on Prednisone, I don't get them. :confused: