PDA

View Full Version : surgery postponed

ian anderson
06-18-2010, 04:02 PM
hi everyone was at pre op meeting in hospital on friday 17th june spent 2hrs in hospital getting all kinds of tests for mondays admission went well 1hr later ent secretary phoned to say sorry op cancelled due to the drug plavix (clopidigrel) blood thinner im on as surgeon isnt confident enough to dilate balloon for my stenosis in case he has to cut anything he finds in his way cant tell you how frustated im feeling as he knew a month ago my medicines then dropped this on me as iv"e waited 10 months with this damn stenosis i stop plavix in august ok only weeks away but stenosis getting worse really struggling to breathe im sorry for every weggie out there with this problem your fellow weggie

Ian

Hammy8241
06-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Typical ****-up (hey cool, I've never been censored for using the term for a male chicken - no offence everyone.:)) Ian. So close but so far and so dam annoying! Can understand your frustrations.

This should have been noticed ages ago and sorted. So, looking forward, did they give you a new timescale for the procedure? I am presuming after August when you stop the drug?

Fingers crossed.

Only positive I can see is that your home in time to watch the England game today!!!:D

pberggren1
06-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm so sorry you have to suffer longer Ian. Like you said the doc knew your meds and then makes that kind of decision the day you are supposed to have tha dilation. How frustrating. I would like to kick that doc in the kness and then in the nuts and see how he likes it compared to you having to live like this until August.

elephant
06-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Ian, I can't imagine how frustrating this is....this happens all the time. My brother wanted to donate his kidney and he was ready but the surgeons kept bumping up the date for some reason...it took 4 months to finally have my new kidney! I was so scared that my brother would be turned off, but I knew he wanted to save my life. I was the walking dead. Yes, it was a bummer...but I waited patiently.....

JanW
06-18-2010, 11:30 PM
That is awful Ian -- I lived with stenosis for five years -- had balloon dilation and surgery in March and my quality of life has gone up 1,000%. So I understand fully right where you are at.

Hope you get your surgery in August.

Jack
06-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Have they rescheduled your op? I think you only need to be off the blood thinning drugs for a week before it is safe to do surgery.

Sangye
06-19-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm so sorry, Ian. I hope you write to that doc and let him know how you feel. He should apologize for missing that important detail, much less for prolonging a dangerous and highly uncomfortable condition.

At least he realized it before doing the operation. We might not have you around if he didn't.

ian anderson
06-19-2010, 03:00 AM
yeah hammy typical but iv"e now calmed down a bit and realise that it wont be too long august for definate but learned as a jehovahs witness docs dont take chances with blood issue i know there"s no blood with balloon dilation but in case he finds something to cut away he"ll take no chance hope you understand thnx for your concern hammy
Ian

ian anderson
06-19-2010, 03:07 AM
exactly how i feel buddy but im accepting his decision although i find it frustrating he"s scared in case he has to cut anything and as im a jehovahs witness he just wont take a chance always the same for me docs scared they have to make hard decision to admin blood but they know they will never be blamed for anything if the worst happens but i understand thnx Ian

ian anderson
06-19-2010, 03:10 AM
im sure it will be ok cant wait though you have wetted my appetite lol thnx
Ian

ian anderson
06-19-2010, 03:12 AM
ill do the same elephant frustrating yes but ill get through thnx
Ian

ian anderson
06-19-2010, 03:14 AM
yes funny i hope england get gubbed bet ill be breathing like a loco if they do remember im a mad scotsman lol
Ian

ian anderson
06-19-2010, 03:16 AM
thnx sangye iv"e thought about it but it wont make a diff they only read about wegs we suffer it take care buddy
Ian

Jack
06-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Ian - if you use the "Reply with quote" option we'll know exactly who's posts you are replying to, otherwise it can become a bit confusing. ;)

Lightwarrior
06-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Ian,
There are several places in the U.S. that do bloodless surgeries, you might ask your doc if he has heard of this. Has your doctor started you on any drugs that can increase your body's ability to produce red blood cells. Since you have to wait until August ask him about this if he is not already doing it, this decreases your need for blood during surgery. I don't know if you won't accept any blood or just others blood, because donating your own blood prior to surgery in case you need it during or after is also an option. The only Jehova Witnesses we have lost due to lack of blood acceptance are those that are emergency related, i.e. car accident etc. since there are so many treatments to prepare you when the surgery is planned such as yours. Hope all goes well, I'm sorry you are feeling bad right now.

Col 23
06-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Hope it all gets worked out soon Ian, B frustrating.
cheers Col 23

ian anderson
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Ian,
There are several places in the U.S. that do bloodless surgeries, you might ask your doc if he has heard of this. Has your doctor started you on any drugs that can increase your body's ability to produce red blood cells. Since you have to wait until August ask him about this if he is not already doing it, this decreases your need for blood during surgery. I don't know if you won't accept any blood or just others blood, because donating your own blood prior to surgery in case you need it during or after is also an option. The only Jehova Witnesses we have lost due to lack of blood acceptance are those that are emergency related, i.e. car accident etc. since there are so many treatments to prepare you when the surgery is planned such as yours. Hope all goes well, I'm sorry you are feeling bad right now.
thnx lightwarrior there are several docs in scotland that do bloodless surgery but i thought balloon dilation was no blood involved but like i say they wont take chances in case they have to cut something thnx for your concern
ian

JanW
06-22-2010, 01:23 AM
If they are just doing the balloon dilation alone, yes, it should be bloodless. The concern might be having to do an emergency trach, should something go wrong.

ian anderson
06-22-2010, 06:58 AM
If they are just doing the balloon dilation alone, yes, it should be bloodless. The concern might be having to do an emergency trach, should something go wrong. thats true jan he did metion that first time i met him here"s hoping
ian

JanW
06-23-2010, 02:52 AM
that's very rare indeed. So rare with my surgeon anyway, that they do not make you sign a consent that they have to do that. It would literally be a life saving emergency.

Sangye
06-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Jan, even if it weren't rare, they don't make you sign a consent to do emergency procedures like that. When I had a bronchoscopy, the pulmy rattled off the list of risks (including death, lung hemorrhage and lung collapse) but you only have to sign that you were informed of the risks.