PDA

View Full Version : Giant Cell Arteritis

pberggren1
06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I was just talking to my Great Aunt Olive and she said that my Mom's cousine Neil was just diagnosed with Giant Cell Arteritis.

Apparently he had been doctoring here in Saskatchewan for quite a while and then decided to go down to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The doctors here didn't have a clue apparently. His first appointment was at 8am and he was diagnosed by noon.

This is strange because my Uncle, who passed away 8 years ago, had a disease called Neurofibromatosis. I have 2 second cousines with bad diseases as well. One has Lupus and the other has MS. This is all on my Mom's side of the family.

I think I will let my Rheumy know about this one.

elephant
06-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Wow Phil you have alot of family members that have autoimmune diseases. I have three siblings with autoimmune diseases ...boy this disease is very tricky. Looking forward to your visit at Mayo.

Sangye
06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Your mom passed on some lousy genes. You should demand a refund. :D

pberggren1
06-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Wow, Elephant! What diseases do they have?

Sangye, I think they are Wranglers or maybe Levis!

elephant
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Graves disease, Rheumatoid arthritis and Nodosa ( vasculitis disease) . My sister with the Nodosa is in remission and has been for 15 years. My other sister who has RA is on methotrexate and some other immunosuppressive.

pberggren1
06-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I talked to my cousine Neil tonight and he had nothing but good things to say about the Mayo Clinic.

He said they got down there on a Tuesday and were at the clinic Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and the following Monday. He said they did all sorts of tests, blood, urine, CT scan, MRI, biopsy, etc. He said the total bill was 15 grand. I said that is not that bad for being there 4 solid days and having all those tests and procedures done. He agreed. He said mine would be much cheaper because I would be there one day and could have all my tests at home ahead of time. I told him I was quoted over the phone for seeing 2 docs at most of 1400.

My parents are going to get their passports soon and I am going to try and make sure the car is in good shape. The car is fairly new. It is a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. We should be able to make it down there in about 3 tanks of gas even the way my Dad drives. My cousine Dale told me the hotel they stayed at. It is the Best Western, Soldier's Field. He said it was 90 a night and had a shuttle to the clinic.

elephant
06-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Sounds like your already Packed! :)

Sangye
06-19-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm so happy that you're going, Phil. Won't it be great when I can cross you off the Nagging List? :D

Lightwarrior
06-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Try going online and looking on Hotwire or priceline you can usually get 4 star hotels very reasonable. On priceline you pick the star rating and the area, Last time I traveled I stayed in all four star hotels for around $50.00 per night. Hotwire you pick the hotel, the discounts aren't usually as good but still well worth it. I'm excited for you, hope it works out well.

pberggren1
06-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Lightwarrior, I will look into those 2 sites.