PDA

View Full Version : wegeners and your diet

ian anderson
05-26-2010, 07:03 AM
hi weggies ian here from scotland if any of you wish to lose weight while on meds (especially preds) give me a shout even though im a wg sufferer one thing i do know is how to diet (ex bodybuilder with 32yrs exp) ill help as much as i can remember to tell me your current diet (no cheating)

pberggren1
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I eat a lot of meat, pastries, and prepared foods.

I know I should be eating more whole foods such as raw friuts and vegtables and nuts and seeds, etc.

I think I might get a juicer for vegtables.

I also drink alot of milk - 3.25%MF

elephant
05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Ian that is great! I have a exercise question. How often do you have to lift weights to get results ( time wise). I am pretty much a wimp and really never lifted weights. Do you have any good suggestions for DVD's...and of course I don't want to exert myself too much. :)

Sangye
05-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Elephant, lifting weight while on pred is not a good idea because of the tendon/ligament weakness caused by pred.

elephant
05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Yea, I know....I was trying to tip toe...but you awoke! :)

Sangye
05-26-2010, 08:32 AM
LOL-- my antennae turned toward the computer and started to tremble... :D

ian anderson
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
I eat a lot of meat, pastries, and prepared foods.

I know I should be eating more whole foods such as raw friuts and vegtables and nuts and seeds, etc.

I think I might get a juicer for vegtables.

I also drink alot of milk - 3.25%MF first of all thnx for asking hope your keeping well but if you want to keep even better stay off the meat especially red meats when your on preds you know what adipose tissue is dont you that is what your buffalo hump is made of and every thing else that is covering your body between muscle and skin animal fats are bad for your health and so is milk stay away from these products also fried foods pastries are no good nutritionally just junk stick to fruit n veg wholegrain products nuts n seeds extra protein eggs fish chicken turkey etc drink plenty water up to 8 glasses a day start the day with a breakfast the most important meal of the day due to it kick starting your metabolism try porridge mak with water and you can add natural sweetener like honey hop you find this useful take care ian

ian anderson
05-26-2010, 09:00 AM
thanks for your post you know the easiest thing the body wants to do is grow and if your serious about muscle then listen very carefully it takes no time to build muscle and here is how you do it you hit the gym 3times a week say (mon wed fri) you stay in gym for 1/2 hr in that time you pick excercises for your whole body chest back legs shoulders arms one excercise per body part (chest 1 set of bench presses 10 reps) (back 1 set deadlifts 10 reps) (legs 1 set squats 10 reps) (shoulders 1 set military press 10 reps) (arms 1 set barbell curls 10 reps and 1 set dips 10 reps) good luck ps forget dvds they will show you guys on anabolic steroids with huge defined muscles and when your results dont show you up as mr universe after 4 wks you"ll pack in best wishes and watch your diet ian

ian anderson
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
liftin heavy weights while on preds yes but not light weight any resistance excercises during the tearing down of muscle tissue caused by catabolic steroids ie preds is highly recommended best regards ian

elephant
05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks Ian! I will do little weights like 3-5 pounds.

RPylican
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I was just diagnosed in March 2010. Prior to that I joined Weight Watchers (Oct 2009) to loose 35 lbs. Weight Watchers promotes a very healthy lifestyle, not just dieting, including exercise that promotes weight loss. Due to my joint and muscle pain I haven't done much on the exercise side of things but have still managed to loose 25 lbs to date. My Dr's also have a high level of support for Weight Watchers. I know I probably sound like an advertisement for WW but it's really helped me look at what I put in my body in a whole new light.

elephant
05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi Rpyican, I have a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics and weight watchers was rate number one in our book! Good for you, need to give us your tips too....your a success!

ian anderson
05-26-2010, 09:14 PM
first of all well done in losing all that weight magnificent i know through experience how hard it is to lose weight ww does have a very good reputation in helping people lose weight weather thru the points or checks system but remember its weight your losing from everywhere thats good its also weight from your muscles that you lose and thats not good you see they give you healthy alternatives yes but most people can eat what they like as long as the calories are counted right ok but without excercise your muscles will drop off like nobodys business not good for wg sufferers wg hammers our connective tissue and muscle so weight resistant excercise is a must especially if they put you on preds but if your happy with just getting weight off fair enough but you will see the differencewith exercise hope this post has been helpful kind regards ian

Hammy8241
05-27-2010, 04:54 AM
So as I been nagged/advised/guided/reminded (delete as required) to no longer pound the streets and countryside (by the way its typical that i give up running yesterday and I receive my acceptance to next years London Marathon in the post today - someone has a sense of humour!!) do you consider that light use of a rowing machine would be acceptable?

pberggren1
05-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks Ian for starting this thread. I am going to try and stop eating red meat. I usually eat a lot of pork and beef. I am going to try and quit dairy as well. Well, at least milk.

elephant
05-27-2010, 05:37 AM
I know that diary causes more mucus...so in our disease (WG) it is better to cut back on diary.

Sangye
05-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Something else to be careful about:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/funny-pictures-cat-is-not-dieting.jpg (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)

elephant
05-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Yea that was me when I was on 60 mg of Prednisone!

ian anderson
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
very acceptable burns calories causes thermogenisis in the human body thats heat being produced by your body due to (EAT) excercise associated thermogenesis keep rowing ian

ian anderson
05-27-2010, 08:43 AM
keep it up any probs with your diet post me ian

Hammy8241
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks Ian. Will give it a go. Love the pic Sangye!

coffeelover
05-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Diet is a very important subject! I have changed my diet from the red meats, and carbs to whole grains, vegies, fruit and I am still working on eating more fish. Here in the midwest we have fresh lake fish, but it tastes "fishy" and not my favorite. I would love to live near a coast to get fresh ocean fish daily. I do still eat some red meat, but only about once a week or so. I eat alot of chicken and have learned to love and crave beans. Some of my favorite sides are mushrooms, lettuce salads with various lettuces like kale, spinach and fresh greens. Almost daily I make myself a fruit smoothie.
I also belond to weight watchers, but struggle with losing (I blame the pred). I joined years ago and lost weight on program, but now I am in it to maintain the weight I am at so I do not gain and gain. (which we all know the pred can help us do)
I also lift very light weights. I went to a personal trainer one time and had her set up a routine for me. I do strength training with 5 lb weights maximum and I also use the stability ball. This routine is done 3 days per week and takes 20-30 minutes. So really very do able. I also walk my dogs almost daily, at least 30-40 minutes. I work full time running a business so time is a factor in exercising for me...but I try to make time for it. It becomes part of my day planner.
I also take some pro biotics and other supplements on the recommendation of my rhuematologist.
All of this combines and of course the mxt and pred have made me feel almost normal most of the time. I am thankful each day for all the support I have received, not only from friends family and this support group, but from the variety of doctors I have seen.
Thanks Ian for starting this thread and Rpylican...I love your pic!

Sangye
05-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Sounds like you're doing great, Lisa! It must be wonderful to be able to do so much and feel well, too. I'm happy for you. :)
How much pred are you down to?

Doug
05-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Lisa- The positive side of not being able to slow you down (I hope Dennis is reading this!) is that it can manifest itself in disciplined control of weight and exercise. I'm still a chunkolero, not much improved (well, not improved at all!) over when we met last year. I wonder what Louie would think about your doggies?! I thought they were exceptionally nice dogs, well-behaved, sweet, but Louie has his axe to grind. Rowr!

coffeelover
05-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Sangye,

I am on 10 mg of pred per day. Not too bad.

Doug,
My killer dog Brinley can kick your Louies butt! Your turn to come to MN btw...bring Louie

Sangye
05-28-2010, 12:12 AM
There you have, ladies and gentlemen. Lisa Coffeelover has thrown down the gauntlet. :D

Doug
05-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Tell Brinley Louie is at least as big as he, still has his claws, and has a nasty attitude. Especially when it comes to Pomeranians! [I don't approve of his attitude, incidentally, and Louie is not a good car cat, unfortunately. I recently tried to acclimate him to a car trip that didn't end up at the pound or the veterinarian's, and he put up this hideous, pitiful howl that started the moment he realized he was "going for a ride". It continued until I carried him into the apartment after the ride was over. He had a look in his eyes that you'll never see outside of the Beasts of Hell or a good horror movie: He was not happy! I'm trying to imagine a 12-13 hour car trip to MN with this monster stressing out in the next seat. ]

Sangye
05-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Sounds like a happy road trip, Doug!

Doug
05-28-2010, 12:45 AM
By the end of it, the car interior would approach the appearance of a crime scene.... [...sorry about getting off topic- I'm done.]

coffeelover
05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
I have one word for you Doug! Drugs!

Doug
05-28-2010, 01:03 AM
I have one word for you Doug! Drugs!

You ever feed a cat a pill?! Ha!

pberggren1
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Today is my first day of eating no red meats or processed meats. The only meats I will eat will be turkey or chicken breasts.

I am also going to try to greatly reduce or eliminate dairy. I already drink a lot of 3.25% MF milk, about 3 to 5 glasses a day.

I was wondering if plain yogurt or whey protein or cottage cheese is alright to take in small quantities seeing as they are all dairy?

I also know that there are many different types of soy bean based foods out there. I sometimes drink soy beverage or add it too my fruit smoothies. Should I quit the soy beverage all together?

I may look at quiting gluten as well. What is gluten exatly? Does it have something to do with wheat?

Col 23
05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow Pberggren1 sounds like you a truely motivated. Thats great. Ive taken the slack option, Ive decided to just listen to my body, if it craves something its usually for a reason. Last week it was tomatoes, this week its vegemite and milk, few weeks back it was yogurt and eggs. Just going with the flow. I will be interested to see how you go and if you get any results.
cheers Col 23

elephant
05-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Phil if you look up Celiac disease diet you will find out alot of information about Gluten free foods. I looked into it and I want to try it too. I will work on this over the summer slowly. I drink Light organic soy milk, but only one cup 4 times a week. I too make smoothies out of it with frozen blueberries, bananas...ect
Good for you Phil, it's a great feeling when you feel that you accomplished something.

Sangye
05-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Phil, holy smokes--that's a huge amount of milk. It's very common that someone will consume large quantities of a food that they're sensitive to. (It's too long to explain why) Milk and dairy are very good examples. Even if you're not sensitive to dairy, it causes mucus build-up in everyone. That's reason enough to limit or eliminate it.

I'm glad to see you're making changes though I suggest you work on one food type at a time. Eliminate dairy for a few weeks and see how you feel. Then experiment with gluten. If you try to do too much at once you won't be able to tell which is helping, and you're also likely to feel so deprived you ditch the whole plan.

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Thank You Sangye. I will just stick to eliminating red meat for the next 6 to 8 weeks. How does that sound?

Sangye
05-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Sounds like a classic dairy sensitivity.... :D

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Maybe I should do the dairy first seeing as I have so much mucus production.

Does mayonaise contain dairy? What about whey protein or bread or other bakery items?

Thanks again Sangye for your wealth of knowledge and deep insight. I must say you are brilliant. We would all miss you dearly if you were gone for any length of time.

Oh, by the way --------YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! MY COMPUTER IS FIXED!!!!!!!!

coffeelover
05-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeee haaaaa Phil. Life is good when the computer decides to work!

Regarding your diet changes...I suggest taking it in small increments as you may get discouraged and quit trying. So red meat now or even a few days a week to start, then work on the other stuff. Take if from someone who tends to go all out when trying something...I've learned!
coffeelover

jola57
05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh me gosh Phil, you are unbelievable. Just go slow give up one thing at a time. Good luck :)

MCC
05-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Maybe I should do the dairy first seeing as I have so much mucus production.

Does mayonaise contain dairy? What about whey protein or bread or other bakery items?

Thanks again Sangye for your wealth of knowledge and deep insight. I must say you are brilliant. We would all miss you dearly if you were gone for any length of time.

Oh, by the way --------YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! MY COMPUTER IS FIXED!!!!!!!!

There are lots of dairy alternatives - soy milk is good for tea or coffee, rice milk for cereal and smoothies. There are also other milks like hazelnut and almond, you might want to try a few and see what you like.

You can get soy yoghurts, ice cream and cheese too. You will have different brands where you live, but I expect you have Tofutti.

Sangye
05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Remember that soy, almond, hazelnut or oat milk are not the same food type as dairy. They're legumes and grains. They're also highly processed foods, same as meat substitute foods. Not much nutrition left in them.

Jack
05-31-2010, 01:19 AM
I have my doubts about this link between dairy and mucus production (sorry Sangye! :) ) I have huge problems with mucus so put myself on a dairy free diet for a month - I could detect no difference whatsoever! I reverted to the dairy diet because I'm vegetarian and need all the fat and protein I can get. ;)

JanW
05-31-2010, 05:03 AM
I believe there was an Italian study that actually refuted the link between mucus and dairy...I remember the allergist saying so when my daughter was diagnosed with allergies around 8 years ago.

pberggren1
05-31-2010, 06:43 AM
I tend to agree with you Jack. I stayed off dairy for about 5 months back in 2004 and noticed no difference.

MCC
05-31-2010, 07:06 AM
Remember that soy, almond, hazelnut or oat milk are not the same food type as dairy. They're legumes and grains. They're also highly processed foods, same as meat substitute foods. Not much nutrition left in them.

Yes they are processed foods but not unhealthy ones. I am not an expert on nutrition but knowing lots of vegans who know a lot more than me (and one's who run the Vegan Society) they do not see a problem with these milks- apart from to avoid GM soy, or soy milk made from isolate not the whole bean. Either way they are better than cows milk...and you could avoid them altogether if you wanted to.

Edited to add: I wouldn't think it was a good thing to have several glasses of cows milk or alternatives a day- I only have a tiny amount of whole bean soy milk in tea and coffee, and occasionally rice milk.

Sangye
05-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Jack and Phil, in Ayurveda when milk is consumed by older children and adults, they add some spices to keep it from creating mucus. There are a lot of reasons why you might eliminate dairy and still have tons of mucus. If you're eating too many Kapha-aggravating foods, you'll form excess mucus with or without dairy.

Mandy, it's true that many meat alternatives don't have dangerous chemicals like nitrates and nitrites, but processed means unhealthy. Nutrients are lost and disrupted when processing food. The temperatures used denature protein and destroy enzymes. Food companies try to add nutrients back via "fortified" food, but it doesn't work. Nature is much more complicated than we know!

The small amounts of soy or almond milk you're having are perfectly fine. Not enough to cause harm.

pberggren1
06-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Thank you Sangye for your insight.

pberggren1
06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Well, I didn't do too great on my diet yesterday.

I am trying to eliminate dairy.

I had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and some butter on a bun for supper - I totally forgot both times. And then I forgot again and had a taco later on with some cheese in it. I think I may be losing my mind or something. Some days I am very alert and quick and then other days I feel like I am in a total fog or haze.

And then today I had KFC for supper. 2 pieces of chicken, fries, potato salad, and coleslaw. Oops!!

jola57
06-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I am on the fence about the dairy. But, I hate cheese and milk, and have always struggled with eating milk soup in the morning as a child. I now only have milk in my tea. so lets say about 5tbsp per day if that. Very rarely a slice of havarti on my sandwich. My Mom makes home made spreadable cheese by curdling it and pressing. I have sometimes, maybe once every 2 weeks, on my bread. Rarely an icecream. And i do not have mucous problem - so I don't know maybe it is true.

Sangye
06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Jolanta, I don't have mucous either. The reason I'm cutting dairy for the time being is that it aggravates my Kapha constitution too much and doesn't really help Pitta. I've lost my taste for it lately, which is a signal for me that my body wants to avoid it for awhile. I only had cheese and yogurt before-- no milk. It doesn't sound like dairy is an issue for you. That homemade cheese is probably quite healthy.

elephant
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I have been doing great on my diet ( no dairy and meat expect fish and eggs) ! It's not that hard either.

Sangye
06-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Yay for you, Elephant!

I've been doing okay. Great at avoiding sugar. This may be the first time in my life I just don't want it. I'm still wondering why!

The past few days I ate more Pitta-aggravating foods and fast food than I wanted to. I didn't have enough food in the house to eat the way I wanted, because I haven't figured out what I can eat just yet. I need to sit down and think of actual recipes and not just individual foods.

Yesterday I started feeling really tired. Today I've been waaaay tired and generally feel lousy. I hope it's because of the food and not something else. I've eaten well today and maybe by tomorrow I'll feel good again. After feeling so good the last couple weeks it's really hard to feel like this again. :( But if it's just due to the food then it's a great lesson in how much a poor diet and/or one that imbalances my constitution affects me.

MCC
06-06-2010, 09:03 AM
I got a book called The China Study out of the library yesterday. This is a summary from Wikipedia:

'The China Study is a 2005 book by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., and his son, Thomas M. Campbell II. Dr. Campbell is a professor of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_University), and one of the directors of the China Project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Project).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study#cite_note-Arnold-0) The book examines the relationship between the consumption of animal products and illnesses such as cancers of the breast, prostate, and large bowel, diabetes, coronary heart disease, obesity, autoimmune disease, osteoporosis, degenerative brain disease, and macular degeneration. "The China Study," referred to in the title is the China Project, a "survey of death rates for twelve different kinds of cancer for more than 2,400 counties and 880 million (96%) of their citizens" combined to study the relationship between various mortality rates and several dietary, lifestyle, and environmental characteristics in 65 mostly rural counties in China conducted jointly by Cornell University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_University), Oxford University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_University), and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chinese_Academy_of_Preventive_Medi cine&action=edit&redlink=1) over the course of twenty years.
The authors introduce and explain the conclusions of scientific studies, which have correlated animal-based diets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_%28nutrition%29) with disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease). The authors conclude that diets high in animal protein (including casein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein) in cow's milk) are strongly linked to diseases such as heart disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_disease), cancer, and Type 2 diabetes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_diabetes).
The authors recommend that people eat a whole food (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_food), plant-based diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism) and avoid consuming beef, poultry, eggs, fish, and milk as a means to minimize and/or reverse the development of chronic diseases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_disease). The authors also recommend that people take in adequate amounts of sunshine in order to maintain sufficient levels of Vitamin D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D) and consider taking dietary supplements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_supplements) of vitamin B12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12) in case of complete avoidance of animal products. The authors criticize "low carb" diets (such as the Atkins diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_Nutritional_Approach)), which include restrictions on the percentage of calories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calories) derived from complex carbohydrates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrates).'

There is a whole section on Autoimmune disease and it concentrates on the importance of avoiding dairy. I found it on Google books if you want a read of this chapter: The China study: the most ... - Google Books (http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=FIRLLcLjyC8C&dq=china+study&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=AdcKTNCVFc2TkAXLm_3aDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=autoimmune&f=false)

elephant
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
My question is why fish? Certain fish ( salmon, sardines, talapia, tuna)has omega 3 and heart healthy. They call eggs the perfect protien, as long as you don't eat eggs every day.

Sangye
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
"The China Study" is highly controversial. When you consider that humans worldwide have thrived on animal protein for thousands of years and have only developed diseases of modern civilization (heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer) when they began consuming processed foods, it doesn't make sense that the solution is a plant-based diet.

Here's (http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html) a review of the book and a couple summary paragraphs below. The review is worth reading, as it points out a great deal of errors and misstatements of facts, etc.... And if you're a really motivated reader, there are links at the end for T. Colin Campbell's rebuttal and Chris Masterjohn's rebuttal to the rebuttal.

"The China Study contains many excellent points in its criticism of the health care system, the overemphasis on reductionism in nutritional research, the influence of industry on research, and the necessity of obtaining nutrients from foods. But its bias against animal products and in favor of veganism permeates every chapter and every page.

Less than a page of comments are spent in total discussing the harms of refined carbohydrate products. Campbell exercises caution when generalizing from casein to plant proteins, but freely generalizes from casein to animal protein. He entirely ignores the role of wheat gluten, a plant product, in autoimmune diseases, so he can emphasize the role of milk protein, an animal product. The book, while not entirely without value, is not about the China Study, nor is it a comprehensive look at the current state of health research. It would be more aptly titled, A Comprehensive Case for the Vegan Diet, and the reader should be cautioned that the evidence is selected, presented, and interpreted with the goal of making that case in mind."

elephant
06-06-2010, 11:37 PM
My basic thought is, " Everything in moderation." The reason why I am doing the no meat and dairy is to see if my cholesterol goes down. My dentist went vegan and lowered his cholesterol 100 points and of course lost weight. I know every one's body chemistry/genetics are different. So I might not respond to a no meat/dairy diet...but it is worth a try.

Sangye
06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Elephant, what are your triglyceride and homocysteine levels? Those are much better predictors of heart disease and stroke than total cholesterol.

elephant
06-07-2010, 02:57 AM
My triglyceride's are 60's. I don't think I had my homocysteine levels taken. I will ask next time. The cardiologist wanted me on red yeast to lower my cholesterol...but I already did my research on it and found out it reacts with Cellcept....so she looked it up....and she says, "yep, your right." I refuse to take med that lowers my cholesterol right now.

pberggren1
06-07-2010, 08:11 AM
I have started to reduce my intake of red meat. It is quite hard though with my small income and living with my parents. I also like many red meat dishes like beef tacos and beef taco salads, spaghetti and meat balls, beef stroganoff, etc. I used to like ham and pork chops but with my loss of taste and smell I have been turned off of many foods.

I will still eat chicken and turkey breast because it is much leaner in fat.

I don't consider fish a meat. I barely eat any fish though I know I should eat much more than I do.

MCC
06-12-2010, 06:19 PM
"The China Study" is highly controversial. When you consider that humans worldwide have thrived on animal protein for thousands of years and have only developed diseases of modern civilization (heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer) when they began consuming processed foods, it doesn't make sense that the solution is a plant-based diet.

Yep I get that you are not keen on vege diets Sangye, but I thought we agreed to disagree? Well I did. I believe totally in a vegetarian diet- there is huge amount of information which I could post stating it is the best diet for health...and plenty refuting it also which you could find- but I'd rather people do the research and find out for themselves!

I understand you probably don't want people to be swayed by something like the China Study if you think it is wrong, but I only posted it because I thought people on the forum would find it interesting given it had a whole chapter on autoimmune disease...ie) I'm trying to help by sharing information I've found.

Jack
06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Just thought that I would throw my hat into the ring and say that I have been a vegetarian for 40 years for moral reasons. However, I don't preach my beliefs to others and the rest of my family eat meat, although it tends not to be red meat because they don't like it. Various hospital consultants have passed comment on my diet over the years and none have said that this was a bad thing, in fact several have approved. I can see that meat is a natural food source for humans and there is probably a danger of missing out with a veggie diet, but that is the way I prefer to go. :) I doubt that it is doing me more harm than the Wegener's has done ;)

Sangye
06-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Mandy, I posted the review to the China Study because you posted a review that made it look like unquestionably solid science. I'm okay that we disagree on whether a veg diet is healthy or not. That doesn't mean I won't state my opinion or refute statements that are posted, and I wouldn't want you to do that, either. To me, the point is that neither of us is trying to convince the other, not that we shouldn't have a discussion of the science behind our choices.

I hope this makes sense.

MCC
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Mandy, I posted the review to the China Study because you posted a review that made it look like unquestionably solid science. I'm okay that we disagree on whether a veg diet is healthy or not. That doesn't mean I won't state my opinion or refute statements that are posted, and I wouldn't want you to do that, either. To me, the point is that neither of us is trying to convince the other, not that we shouldn't have a discussion of the science behind our choices.

I hope this makes sense.

Yes, that's fair enough. I just copied the first information I came across on The China Study, I think it was from Wikipedia.

flana
07-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Elephant, lifting weight while on pred is not a good idea because of the tendon/ligament weakness caused by pred.

Sangye hi, I have effectively gained about 50 lbs over the past yer since I got diagnosed april of 2009. I lost about 20 lbs at the time of the 1st flare up and then gained about 50 lbs after that. I am now about 30lbs overweight and on ctx and pred. I have been going to the gym since ~3 - 4 months, 3 times a week. I do 20mins of cardio and 1 1/2 hour of weights... treadmill while holding the rails and bed raised to 7 degrees and speed of 4mph is not so bad, burn about 200cals. I cannot not hold the rails... bones pain especially the joints. But after the gym, its like I have attained nirvana... I have lost only about 2 lbs... but I am hopefull...

Sangye
07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Raj, how much pred are you on?

flana
07-31-2010, 11:37 AM
started with 60mg last year but I am now on 5mg... but still on ctx 150mg since april last year...

Sangye
07-31-2010, 11:45 AM
That's a low dose of pred and probably doesn't put you at a big risk for tendon ruptures. Ask your doc to make sure, though.

But I just can't believe you're still on ctx. That's not okay at all! I think we've had this discussion before... Sounds familiar to me, but my memory stinks lately. :D

flana
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Yes you did comment on this... I am very cautious... In fact my secondary Rheumo at Stanfords is not happy with this either...

Palmyra
07-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes, yes, yes Ian...we are all for lean muscle mass. So good for the body and all things regarding healing, mental focus and depression relief!

Thank you for your wisdom and advice. Eating protein for breakfast tomorrow! Daughter is doing the same :-) Watch out for injury with cartilage, tendons and things that don't like strain while on prednisone...(or advanced middle-age)

elephant
07-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Good for you Flana! Your keeping your cardiovascular system in tune! Increasing your bone and muscle strength.

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I really cheated in my diet today. I had chinese food twice.

elephant
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Well Phil enjoy, you feeling better and able to smell and taste! Yahoo!

DEE
08-02-2010, 12:10 AM
start diet tomorrow Phil :) DEEx

elephant
08-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Diet starts always tomorrow! Love saying those words!