PDA

View Full Version : Starting my Diet tomorrow!

elephant
05-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Lightwarrior, suggested starting a thread about helping each other get on track, when we are about to eat a whole cheese cake or big juicy burger with fries and chocolate shake! Darn, that sounds so good. Down girl!
Well I just made a pumpkin pie tonight and I am going to eat it, just one big piece.
Then tomorrow I will write down what I ate, hope you all join me!

Col 23
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
I might find it a bit embarrassing to write down what I ate. ( I dont think anyone would believe it anyway). I know what I ate and I know it was heaps and I know it was bad for me. I definitely think we need a thread to help us with "the good food suggestions". It sounds like most of us are keen to have some sort good food guide. I wonder if its all pred or is it emotional eating. I think its the pred because I never ate like this before. I also think that because of the taste in our mouths we are constantly looking for something to taste nice. I I know I am.
Cheers Col 23

elephant
05-25-2010, 08:47 PM
This one is for you Col,
Breakfast " the good food suggesteions"
1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 of frozen or fresh blueberries or mixed berries, Tablespoon of honey, cinnamon for flavor, 2 Tablespoons of walnuts. You can add 1/2 cup of milk or soy milk too.
This breakfast has a lot of fiber, protien , antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. This will keep you full too.

Col 23
05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks elephant.
Will try that tomorrow.
cheers Col 23

sharon
05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Hello elephant,
i have had a lot of problems with my asthma and lungs lately, my dr keeps telling to exercise and lose weight, (she suggested i swim, good luck with that i have fibroids through both lungs & my diaphragm has kind of fused/scared onto my L. lung & remission no where in sight) i have put on 6kg ove the last 12mths, and it's too much for my body all of a sudden. So how did i respond, & no it was not that really tasty carrot stick in the fridge, it was coffee and M&M's, as i do. I tend to go alright for a week or two, then get really tired, and then i am like a bear coming out of hibernation. Do u have any tips? what has helped you? Sorry to vent, i am just frustrated with DR and myself ofcourse.

elephant
05-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Sharon, can you remind me...how much prednisone are you taking and what drugs your on to control the Wegeners disease? If you need your coffee have one cup a day. I think you should have chocolate everyday, but not alot. It is better to eat dark chocolate (cocoa at least 60%), but if you don't like dark chocolate...go ahead and have some M&M's, but half of the bag or 1/4 cup. I think when we deprive ourselves that's when we kinda lose control.
As far as exercise, I would start walking slow. Are you on inhalers? If you have asthma usually they tell you to use inhalers before exercise, but ask your physician first.
Hope this helped. :)

DEE
05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Elephant i like what your saying on a bad day i start right with a proper breakfast then fresh fruit drinking water and yes you probably guess end up on coffee and muffin !!
Usually try to do better the next day
on the subject of food does anybody know any reason why we should eat prawns or any shellfish while taking chemo etc
i dont know if someone or one of my doc mentioned it something to do with a particular bacteria they carry
maybe i am mistaken just thought id check it out on here
thanks DEEx

Col 23
05-26-2010, 01:07 AM
My memory is shot but I also understand that fish is excellent and I read that somewhere. Probably all the Omegas in it.
cheers Col 23

DEE
05-26-2010, 01:25 AM
thanks Col 23
my memory having a bad day i went to the chemist three times today before i had all my meds for next monthn luckily just round the corner
thanks for your help DEEx

Col 23
05-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Hi Dee
My memory is bad most days lately, I have to get new meds tomorrow also so I hope I dont have to go to the chemist 3 times. I will probably forget to go 3 times.
How are you feeling lately.
cheers Col 23

DEE
05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
not to bad pushed myself to much yesterday paying for it today
still recovering from blood clots in lung thought i would feel better by now
im ok if i rest and do nothing but moving or doing is another thing
its been a month now dont know if im expecting to much but im back at the hospital for check up thurs pm
INR test for Warfarin seems to be sorting out now which means not so many blood test :)
but as the saying goes tomorrow is another day
take care of u DEEx

elephant
05-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Hey Dee, My friend had blood clots all over her lungs...it took over 6 months for her to feel normal and she is young.
I was told not to eat raw fish, because of immune system is low.
The best fish to eat is Salmon ( wild Alaskan), sardines in a can....but careful of the salt. High in omega three fatty acids. And a anti-inflammatory food to eat. There are more healthy fish to eat, but I am only going from memory ( prednisone memory). :)

DEE
05-26-2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks Elephant
i do eat a fair amount of fish it was just the prawns that worried me abit as usually use them in salads when the weather is warmer :) which is not very often here !! got out summer clothes that still fit yesterday no sun today and blowing a cold wind !
thanks for lung advice im ancient 55yr in few weeks can add impatient to my wg words now ive got over the denial word always willng to learn even when its hard some times
thanks again DEE x

JudyJ
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi all,
Funny how the diet subject came up this week. I left the lung dr this week frustrated and angry with him because he sort of got onto me about my weight gain. Don't know why I was mad at him other than the fact that I was already mad at myself and my binges. Its not like I was doing it on purpose. RIGHT!!!I am head baker at a bakery for the past 20 plus years and I love my job and unfortunately the food too. I don't really need an excuse to eat but I have been blaming the pred. unfortunately he pointed out that some of the gain can be attributed to the pred but not all. DARN!!!!!That means I really need to get down to business because while the weight goes up so is the blood pressure. So this week I have been really trying to be conscious of what I eat instead of popping something in out of habit. I am looking foreward to encouraging advice, recipes and things to keep my mind off food.

sharon
05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi elephant,
i am on 5mg prednisone and DS 400 Symbicort inhalers 2 puffs upto 4 X a times a day. To control the WG i take 2.5gm of cellcept (mycophenalate) daily and bactrim twice a week. I was doing ok until i had the Flu shot,that was 4-5 weeks ago, i was supposed to see the GP today but she called in sick, so i will reschedule next week. I will try to make a bigger effort to walk, it's just the whole getting started thing i think in the morning. Thanks for your advice, maybe if i start by allowing one coffe and a small amt of choc and increase my protein, who know's, i might just get fit again! :)

elephant
05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Small steps and you will get stronger. Going cold turkey sometimes just makes you want it more. Don't forget to eat fruit and veggies. Pick your favorite fruit and veggies...seving per day is two fruits and 3-5 servings of veggies (1 cup of raw and 1/2 cup cooked). Having a big salad with 4 0z grilled chicken will take care of the four servings of veggies. :)

coffeelover
05-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey Elephant! I am always going to start my diet "tomorrow". ha ha

elephant
05-28-2010, 12:06 AM
It always made me feel good to say those two words. :)

elephant
05-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I was a very bad girl today! Ate crappy...M&M's, dark Chocolate and ice cream with fresh blueberries and strawberries. Tomorrow, no sweets. Whenever I over do the sweets it makes me feel bad about myself. Tomorrow no Sweets, none...not a dot of sugar!

Doug
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
All this talk of dieting makes me think of my cat Louie. That's why my new avatar features Louie hanging his beer belly around the leg of my computer desk. He- and I!- need to get really serious about exercise and healthy eating. I don't want to have to give myself insulin shots, and I sure as [word] don't want to have to give my cat insulin shots, too!

Double click on the photo in this text to get a better appreciation of what Louie's beer belly looks like. I don't want anyone telling me it's cute!

elephant
05-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Louie's belly is fluffy! I never owned a cat, but Louie looks good.

onatreetop
05-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Funny that the diet thing is back. Went to find a swimsuit and of coarse not the size I bought a couple of years ago. Darn. I am very good during the day. It's at night when I start to unwind that I relieze , hey I am hungry. And once I start I want more. I am still forcing myself to drink the milkshakes in the daytime so that there is something in my system during the day, besides meds. Thirsty most of the day more than anything. I figure if its a fruit or veggie I can eat as much as I want but thats not what I really want. Anyway trying to lose here too. Good luck all!

Doug,Love the kitty. Than love the kitties times 4 and your in my house. We love our kitties.

Doug
05-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Louie's belly is fluffy! I never owned a cat, but Louie looks good.

"fluffy" = code word for "fat", as in the expression, "I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy." Louie and I thank you!

Doug
05-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Doug,Love the kitty. Than love the kitties times 4 and your in my house. We love our kitties.

Kitty "wuv" is special! Louie is a great stress reliever, though he can cause stress. I hope to see improvement in his "fluffiness" issue. We took a walk outside this morning, if that's what you call what Louie did. Lots of hurry-up-wait. Ummm. Roll in the grass. Use the toilet. Sniff the air. And that was just me! Louie had a great time, too. [Just kidding above about the activities, for me at least.]

Lightwarrior
05-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Kitty "wuv" is special! Louie is a great stress reliever, though he can cause stress. I hope to see improvement in his "fluffiness" issue. We took a walk outside this morning, if that's what you call what Louie did. Lots of hurry-up-wait. Ummm. Roll in the grass. Use the toilet. Sniff the air. And that was just me! Louie had a great time, too. [Just kidding above about the activities, for me at least.]

LOL, so....I'm guessing you didn't sniff the air?????

Sangye
05-29-2010, 06:48 AM
No offense, but could we please get back to the thread topic? I'd love to hear about cats in an Off Topic thread-- :)

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Speaking of Diet........

I used my new juicer for the first time this afternoon. I juiced carrots, apples, and oranges and mixed it all together. Later on today I will try use my new blender and put in this juice and add strawberries and a banana.

I was also wondering if someone were to go off red meat totally if they should be taking a protein supplement like whey protein?

In the current VF Newsletter the first article discusses nutrition and vasculitis. Near the end of the article it lists anti-inflammatory foods and pro-inflammatory foods. It seems like a good article.

Sangye
05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
You can get plenty of protein from other meat and fish and by adding legumes to your diet.

coffeelover
05-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Phil,
I make great fruit smoothies in my plain ol blender. chopped ice, a mixture of fruits, V8 fruit juices and a Weight Watchers smoothie mix. mmmm, mmmm good!

(Legumes...not so good. But mixed with other vegies OK). My opinion

Doug
05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm off forum.

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 04:34 PM
What does that mean Doug?

jola57
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I have no comment on this thread, it is just too depressing, cant eat what i want, hate veggies and shakes, love me red meat and patatoes. Why is life so mean to me LOL

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree, but I have to make an attempt.

I am going to start just by eliminating Dairy from my diet for about at least 6 or 8 weeks and see how it goes and then I will probably eliminate red meat and sugars and other pro-inflammatory foods.

jola57
05-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Go Phil Go. RahRahRah

elephant
05-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Go Phil, proud of your commitment!
Phil, I think Doug leaving this forum to have a chocolate doughnut! :)

Sangye
05-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Good for you, Phil! Go for it! I know you're gonna feel tons better just eliminating dairy. :)

Sangye
05-29-2010, 11:57 PM
I have no comment on this thread, it is just too depressing, cant eat what i want, hate veggies and shakes, love me red meat and patatoes. Why is life so mean to me LOL
LOL... life is so cruel!

Jolanta, you hate veggies??? That's a total shocker to me. I thought you ate really healthy. But look, there's no need for shakes, and you don't have to eliminate red meat, just reduce it. Can you live with only having it twice a week? That'd be just great. I don't see any reason for the potato to be banished from your life. Unless you notice it worsens your symptoms (some people with AI diseases are worse with nightshades) the potato is a fine food. Now go hug your sack of potatoes and stop crying. :D

elephant
05-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Sangye you are too funny. I just pictured Jolanta hugging her potatoes and thinking of potato recipes. :)

DEE
05-30-2010, 03:16 AM
found a new way to keep bad things out off diet i bought a box full off mini double chip muffins last saturday and could not keep my hands off put a bag full in hubby s lunchback :) DEE x
well its a start i didnt eat them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sangye
05-30-2010, 04:02 AM
LOL-- so funny!

elephant
05-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Good Dee, so creative. :)

Doug
05-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Go Phil, proud of your commitment!
Phil, I think Doug leaving this forum to have a chocolate doughnut! :)

Actually, it was a piece of cherry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream....

DEE
05-30-2010, 06:55 AM
more creative than what i use to do when i first stared preds i used to put myself to bed to stop myself going near the kitchen how boring was that :)
one day i will find that thing called willpower but at the moment it seems some way ahead of me !!!!!!!!! DEEx

MCC
05-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Speaking of Diet........

I used my new juicer for the first time this afternoon. I juiced carrots, apples, and oranges and mixed it all together. Later on today I will try use my new blender and put in this juice and add strawberries and a banana.

I was also wondering if someone were to go off red meat totally if they should be taking a protein supplement like whey protein?

In the current VF Newsletter the first article discusses nutrition and vasculitis. Near the end of the article it lists anti-inflammatory foods and pro-inflammatory foods. It seems like a good article.

Nope you certainly do not need to worry about protein Phil! The majority of people have too much protein and someone following a vegetarian or vegan diet would have more than an adequate amount from pulses, tofu etc (I have been vegetarian for 18 years and vegan for about 4).

Elephant, today I've not eaten so healthily but it's not terrible:

Wholemeal toast, scrambled tofu, tomato and mushroom for breakfast.
Lunch- leftover mushroom risotto, a vege sausage and toast.
Dinner I will have pumpkin and saag curry with rice.

A too much carb day! And no fruit, too much coffee and not much water.

My goal will be to lose a bit of the weight I've put on, eat more wholefoods and raw veges and fruit.

MCC
05-30-2010, 04:23 PM
more creative than what i use to do when i first stared preds i used to put myself to bed to stop myself going near the kitchen how boring was that :)
one day i will find that thing called willpower but at the moment it seems some way ahead of me !!!!!!!!! DEEx

Me too, but then I would get up again and scoff straight out of the fridge! Keeping a stock of carrots and celery helped a bit with the munchies I found.

elephant
05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Mandy, you are doing just fine. You don't have to be perfect everyday, that is what my professors told us ( while I was in school). There are days when you will miss some servings of fruits and veggies, but the next day have them.
I ate horrible yesterday! But, I will do better today. :)
That is a great idea to stock celery and carrots in the frig or even making a fruit salad...I made a four bean salad with light Italian dressing...that way you grab and eat.

elephant
06-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Well after reading and doing research, I decided to omit meat and dairy out of my diet. Of course I start tomorrow. I have done this before and stayed on it for a year. So I am looking forward to this big day tomorrow. :)

Sangye
06-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Elephant, are you eliminating all meat-- fish too?

Wondering what you're having for dinner tonight!! :D

elephant
06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I am eating fish and eggs. No dairy or meat. I ate a chicken drum stick for dinner, home made sweet potato fries ( baked in oven), green sweet snap peas and two pieces of wheat bread with jam/butter. I gained three pounds this week! I ate alot the last five days, now I am paying for it.
Need to eat better this week. Naughty naughty girl!

Sangye
06-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Did you ever figure out your Ayurvedic type?

elephant
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I was almost equal V and P and few K. So I looked at the foods to eat for both V and P. Is that how I do it?

Sangye
06-02-2010, 10:11 AM
In general, yes. But in Ayurveda you always keep in mind the season. Pitta governs summer, so unless your Pitta is extremely low to begin with, it can become a bigger problem in summer. During summer, you should focus more on lowering Pitta than on lowering Vata. Does that make sense? It might seem complicated in the beginning, but it's very intuitive once you tune into it.

Sangye
06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Also, Vata and Pitta have the greatest protein needs and are the least able to deal with low-meat diets. (Kapha does the best with it.) It may not be a big problem in the summer, but you might consider adding back some meat once cooler weather starts.

elephant
06-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Sangye, keep you all updated on my diet. It won't be so bad. :0

elephant
06-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Yesterday my husband made a chocolate shake and I totally forgot that I quit dairy and meat! So I had one! I felt like a big cheater after I drank that. Today will be better.
I have been eating more fruit,beans and vegetables ( cherries, blueberries, banana, orange, apple,pineapple, squash, sweet potato, ). I also have been eating Hummus sandwiches, I take hummus and spread on two pieces of bread and slice red onion and avocado and one slice of tomato.....very good!

pberggren1
06-14-2010, 05:41 AM
What is Hummus?

Jack
06-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Mushed up chick peas and garlic with a few other bits in too. Eat it with warm pitta bread - very tasty! :)

pberggren1
06-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Jack, what is pitta bread?

Jack
06-14-2010, 06:00 AM
It is a type of flat bread that comes mainly from Greece I think. It splits in half really easily to make a pocket that can be filled with whatever you want. Or you can just tear bits off and eat them spread with hummus.

http://www.recipesroom.com/images/pittabread1.JPG

http://www.mycookeryclub.co.uk/cambridgeshire/assets/library/images/mainsite/recipe_images/4545_L.jpg

elephant
06-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Jack, I just drooled all over...the pita veggie sandwich looks so good!

pberggren1
06-14-2010, 08:43 AM
So there is no yeast used in pitta bread? It looks good. I only have an appetite when I get hungry. I still can't smell or taste anything.

Sangye
06-14-2010, 09:08 AM
LOL-- since we're talking about food and Ayurveda, don't confuse Pitta constitution with pita bread!

Those pics look so good, Jack. I've been doing really well with eating healthy the past few weeks. Gonna give myself a pat on the back.... :)

DEE
06-14-2010, 03:45 PM
sorry those picture just before bed time but resisted going into the kitchen for something to eat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they do look good DEEx

Hammy8241
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Now I know I'll be shot down in flames but the title of this thread is "Starting my Diet tomorrow".

Well as a person who lives for today.......!!!:)

I'll be kind and not post pictures and leave the smell to you.lol

Microwave Golden Syrup Sponge Pudding

100 g self raising flour
100 g butter
100 g sugar
30 ml milk
2 eggs (beaten)
few vanilla essence
grated zest of half a lemon
3 tablespoons of golden syrup
Cream the butter and sugar together. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla essence. Add the flour, milk and lemon zest.
Put the golden syrup in the bottom of a two pint bowl. Spoon the mixture on top. Place in microwave (with a plate on top). Cook for 3.5 minutes on high. Serve with custard or ice cream.
(N.B. if doubling quantitites, cook for 5.5 minutes on high).

Ok then, flack jacket on - shoot away! ! Can't be good everyday:D

pberggren1
06-16-2010, 12:03 AM
I think I'll have breakfast now.

Sangye
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh Hammy, what can I say? And microwaving it on top of it all.... :D

Hammy8241
06-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Caught again Sangye!! Thought you were busy nagging elsewhere and it might have slipped under your radar........... I'm learning!

If the punishment includes flying helmets and wet celery then I could be interested? (Well at least the celery is healthy!
;)

Sangye
06-16-2010, 12:36 AM
ROTFL-- I was a teacher for 8 years. I've still got eyes in the back of my head for mischief-makers. Punishment today is limited by my strength, so it'll just be 30 lashes with a wet noodle. :D

Hammy8241
06-16-2010, 01:26 AM
As a penance I thought I would try to offer a serious item to this thread . I wonder if you guys have tried this for a quick snack

Works with most veg but is really good with butternut squash. Just peel and cut into fingers and using a 1 cal spray to stop the sticking, pop on a oven tray into a hot oven and bake till brown . Really bring out the flavour. Quick, can be prepared when you have the time and baked when you need the snack.

My better half loves them, me? Please see previous posts.:p

Sangye
06-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Yum!! Okay, you're forgiven. :D

DEE
06-16-2010, 01:50 AM
ok if its conffesion time after such a bad day yesterday and feeling about as low as iv ever been (BARON took all the shots !!!)
i bought double choc muffins AND banoffee muffins because we were at the shops early and they had them both :)
BUT i also bought sweet potatoes to make a snack from eiephant recipe
in my own defence i have hardly eaten anything much for about four days but will try to get on track soon DEEx

Hammy8241
06-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Dee,
Life is for living and when we are low whatever brings a little relief is OK by me! ( even if we do feel guilty later) Habit is the problem and the only criticism I have is that I prefer Cinnamon & Apple. Microwave recipe anyone?

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

PS. I note you used the plural (muffins) but only ate both!!:confused:

Sangye
06-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Dee, I hope you're having a better day today. I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time. :(

DEE
06-16-2010, 06:23 AM
information overload + to much thinking time !!!!
trying to figure out next move
slow and steady day BARON in the garden me in the house bless him he knows when i need space but is always not far away :) hes on a week break from work trying to stay out of hospital this time the last one he was home alone !!
dont worry did not eat all the muffins so there is still hope for me yet when i eat them all you will have reason to start worrying
DEEx
ps did not like sweet things much before i stared to take preds :)

DEE
06-16-2010, 06:23 AM
pps thanks everyone DEEx

elephant
06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey Dee, glad you got those muffins. I know when I see a good dessert, I wag my tail too. Hope your day is better tomorrow. :)

marta
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
OK, I have to post something here because this thread made me laugh, made me cry (but mostly from laughing) but most of all it made me feel like - pheuf, I'm not alone in my quest to fill my gut... alll the time.

A new friend gave me a book on prednasone when I got home from the hospital and the salt seems to be one of the big culprits with the puffiness, or is it the fluffiness. So last time I was in the 'big city' I went to a health food store and bought a ton of stuff that is sodium free for snacking. The great thing about sodium free stuff is that it also happens to be low calorie - that wasn't my intention, but it just seemed to work out that way. So I have all these crazy crackers, and rice cakes and chips that are sodium free and actually good for you. I've been using them at night when the munchies hit me big time and dip them in my low sodium dips from the Italian Market. Things like Mediterranean Antipasto, and Smoky Red Pepper Spread. I find it fills me up and despite eating it late at night when I can't sleep, it hasn't blown me up - which is awesome considering how much I want to eat every minute of the day.

I've also made my own home made granola that I eat in the morning with yoghurt and fruit (I happen to be a bit of a fruitaholic, so fruit is high on my intake list). In my granola I have only stuff I like but it's all healthy and I don't feel too guilty eating it. It's also good for when I feel like having something sweet, so I have these 'drive-by' snatch and grab moments to fill the gullet with the sweet stuff. In there I put the obligatory rolled oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, flax seeds, sesame seeds, almond, dried cranberries, dried sour cherries, dried pineapple, hemp seeds - a lot of them for protein, and they taste good too - and sweeten it with honey before baking it. It makes the house smell dee-vine. Because of the high protein it keeps me sorta satiated longer so I get away with fighting the urge to stuff my gullet a little bit more than I think I would otherwise.

Funny story before I stop rambling. I had this bag with blank 'Thank You' cards for the many wonderful people in my life, but the way they were stacked in the bag as I walked by them one night - feeling peekish - I felt totally like Homer Simpson. I walked by, got an instant insight into how Pavlov's Dog must have felt as my mouth started to salivate and all I thought was 'mmmmmm cake' as I looked at the stack of cards and envelopes. It was at that moment that I knew I was in trouble with food.

Doug
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
'Mmmmmm cake'

Doh!

DEE
07-20-2010, 06:25 AM
ok folks gone of MUFFINS gave last ones to my son to eat YES GONE OF MUFFINS :}
NEW must have is fresh wholemeal bread with greenhouse tomatoes dont know why but seems to do the trick !!!! DEE x
ps Elephant dont worry the sandwich works for me the same as the muffins did just not as easy when its midnight and u wont one :)

Sangye
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Atta girl, Dee. Leave those muffins behind. You've gotta be tough with the Wegs dog-- if he acts up, then NO treats for him! :D

elephant
07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
All this talk about food! Yahoo! Who are we kidding....but need to get back to eating better " Starting tomorrow!" I will be going to the gorcery store to buy fresh this and that and then eat it!

Doug
07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
All this talk of muffins! I have everything I need to make a batch of banana-blueberry muffins. With walnuts. Mmmm! [Drool rolls down Doug's face, and he reminds himself how lucky he is to live with a cat: Blame the cat for any wet spots on the carpet! Dang cat!]

DEE
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
MUFFINS off the menu TOMATOES ON DEEx

elephant
07-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Tomato's yum, muffins on the side with tomato's. :)

DEE
07-21-2010, 10:48 PM
no elephant without muffins try to be good now and then DEEx or not maybe that would be boring

LisaMarie
07-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Ok after a wonderful trip to south florida...eating all the yummy food I can not get in the midwest....I am back home and trying to be good...had oatmeal for breakfast with a dab..lol of butter and brown sugar...a bite of hash browns and scrabbled eggs....was amazingly full after the good old oatmeal....have my back up milk duds for my chocoalte sweet craving time...but i try to eat only 1-5 through out the day....tried to use dark chocolate bits or m&m but they are to easy to gulp....really want someting to help me get right the the excess h2o I have...so noted swelling in my legs but my hands and abdomen are aweful fluffy..lol...60 mg of pred sucks ...i have gained 10 # in a month...ughhh....still waiting on a start date for iv cytoxin...it was suppose to be this week.....I swear the wheels more soo slow when you want them to speed up and vice versa.....I have also found a good alternative to chips...they are called veggie straws...they are puffed not fried and made of tomatoes, potatoe and spinach and a hugh portion for minimal calories.....they see them at Costco and Sam's club.....I can only eat 1/2 a portion size but they do satisfy my newly aquired salt craving...i never crave salt......tuna is an awesome source of protien and pulling it in a pepper instead od bread is a good alternative....I do not use mayo in my tune but i do spice it up with pesto ...or garlic and onion....shredded cheese or some black beans...it is all in how creative we can be....hope you all have a great day....better get back to work and avoid the coffee and go for the H2o...see i am trying to be good....

elephant
07-22-2010, 01:36 AM
LIsaMarie that all sounds good. I too ate the veggie straws at a friends house ( both trying to eat better). I think we ate half the bag. :(

Sean48
07-22-2010, 01:40 AM
I think I this sounds good. I always forget about using honey for natural sugar. I think a good idea for me is to leave the honey on on the cupboard where I remember to use it.

thanks

Jack
07-22-2010, 01:55 AM
I use a lot of honey to sweeten things like cereal or yoghurt and it is also good on toast. You need a runny one and a firm set one.

There is a lot of variation in the honeys available and the supermarket ones are sometimes not up to much. I suspect that they water them down with glucose or something. The honey from my local farm is much more tasty.

LisaMarie
07-22-2010, 02:53 AM
LIsaMarie that all sounds good. I too ate the veggie straws at a friends house ( both trying to eat better). I think we ate half the bag. :(

hey they also have little individual bags with 3 different flavors ...i love the rosemary ones and it it almost the right portion size.....celery is also a good snack

any suggestion on how to get rid of the excess water naturally?

Jack
07-22-2010, 03:05 AM
I would just take some Furosemide. Fairly harmless stuff compared with our usual drug cocktail.

elephant
07-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Low dose of Furosemide (lasix) 20 mg will help, but need to get your potassium checked. Ask your doctor.

Sangye
07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Lisa Marie, pretty much every food you listed increases Fire, which also increases inflammation, general swelling and sweats. I'm trying to catch up on posts here so I can get back to the thread I started on controlling these types of pred side effects. In the meantime, I suggest lasix and no salty foods at all. Salt is a great way to increase fire.

MCC
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Guys,
I've been trying to eat more raw food recently. I got a couple of raw food books out of the library and currently trying to eat mostly raw during the day and just have a cooked dinner.

A typical day's food is:

Smoothie with banana, blueberry, orange, flaxseed oil and kale (yes kale! It's really good for you but honestly you can't taste it in this).

Lunch of a big salad with avocado, sprouted lentils, zillions of veges.

Snacks of nuts, veg and fruit (and cake! :o )

Dinner: Tofu and veg stir fry with brown rice.

I also started yoga last week as it's supposed to be good for stress, and we should avoid stress! I tried meditation a few weeks ago but didn't really get into that.

Sangye
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
That's great, Mandy. I hope it helps you feel better! How are things going?

elephant
07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Mandy a big High five for you! That is great! You are focused. Long time ago I took a meditation class, it was hard for me to concentrate...think of only one thing and saying UUUMMM. UUUMM or whatever. I must take it again and be more serious!
How are you doing?

Sangye
07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
LOL--Elephant, that's normal for meditation. No one can focus at first! The mind is non-stop active, pumping out thoughts and reactions to those thoughts. Meditation isn't about quieting those thoughts, it's about learning to watch them without pursuing them. Over time you build a little space in your mind between a thought and your reaction. In everyday life that spaciousness makes it easier to avoid knee-jerk reactions to what you encounter.

There are lots of ways to meditate. The best thing is to find a method you enjoy and do a little every day. Even just 5 minutes a day will change your life.

Lightwarrior
07-30-2010, 02:28 AM
When I mediate I let the thoughts come on a cloud and watch them float away. I love meditation, my problem is finding even five minutes to have quiet time. I suppose if I got up a little early it would really help with my day. I used to have alone time in the bathroom, but my grandchildren will stand outside the door and say, "you don't have to talk Grandma, just listen"...those conversations are so prescious that I don't discourage them.

elephant
07-30-2010, 03:06 AM
That is so true, at one time all three of us would be in one little bathroom. Then as they got a little older, had them wait by the door...then waited outside with door shut...then they put their fingers under the door..."Mom can you see me?"

pberggren1
07-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Meditation is key to my survival. I meditate every day whil praying the Rosary. I usually meditate on the Sorrowful Mysteries like Jesus being scourged at the Pillar.

Jack
07-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I prefer yoga nidra and thoughts of white sand and turquoise sea.

marta
07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I prefer yoga nidra and thoughts of white sand and turquoise sea.

That sounds quite interesting Jack. I just looked it up (I've never heard of yoga nidrea before) and it sounds great for a sleep deprived prednasone junkie.
I'm buying a CD/DVD next time I'm in the big city.
But you had me at white sand and turquoise sea :)

elephant
07-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Me too, " white sand and turquoise sea." I'm already calm.

Doug
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I focus on choking this furry presence that climbs on me and stomps up and down my body every few minutes from 1:30AM till I cave in and get up and feed him at his 6:00 morning feeding time. [I'm speaking out you, Louis James Cat! Yeah!]

Seriously, finding a place to meditate is just as important as the time. I find having a background noise like an air conditioner or other white noise producer is helpful. I've tried music, but it takes me to another place where it is the focus.

MCC
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Edited, to add: this was in reply to Sangye. I dodn't quote properly!

Hello! Sorry to take so long to come back and reply. I am ok thank you, just plodding on as usual. I'm going back to the Uk to live in under two weeks now so will have a new doctor and hospital to visit. Although I won't live too near there I will be going to a hospital in Cambridge where there are apparently Wegeners experts.

How are you? Hope you are feeling much better now.

MCC
08-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Mandy a big High five for you! That is great! You are focused. Long time ago I took a meditation class, it was hard for me to concentrate...think of only one thing and saying UUUMMM. UUUMM or whatever. I must take it again and be more serious!
How are you doing?

Haha! I like that. Yes I found it hard to concentrate too. I should try it again really, maybe a different type.
I'm ok thanks, how about you?

elephant
08-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm doing better, because I am taking bactrim daily and it seems to help my sinuses! So I am crossing all my fingers and toes! Keep us updated on you!

JanW
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Good for you, elephant. I think the jury is still out on whether or not bactrim has an impact on WG, which certainly doesn't mean it doesn't work in individual cases.

Sangye
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Mandy-- nice to see you! I'm very happy to hear you're going to be near Wegs specialists. That's a big change-- New Zealand to the UK. Which are you from originally?

Sean48
08-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I like that idea Phil

MCC
08-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi Mandy-- nice to see you! I'm very happy to hear you're going to be near Wegs specialists. That's a big change-- New Zealand to the UK. Which are you from originally?

From the UK. I've been in NZ 18 months now but my boyfriend is not happy here so it's time to go....