PDA

View Full Version : i need help

katarzena
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I am constantly losing weighr because i am afraid to eat.. i feel like everything i eat goes to my face and belly...it is so frustrating. I dont want to lose no more weight because people around me say that i'm disappearing and i know it but cant help it. If i gain a few pounds will it all go to my fat stomach? And will it shrunk after i'm on 10mg? I think i'm going insane ;(

elephant
05-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Katarzena, first of all everyone reacts different once the prednisone is decreased. When I got down to 10 mg of prednisone, my moon face was gone. The stomach will be less too. As you know you need to eat, the medicines were on deplete us....so it is very important to eat whole foods ( fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, dairy) and if you continue to lose more weight you won't have any reserves left to fight infection or whatever.
Actually recently three of my doctors notices I was losing weight and wanted to know why....was I trying to lose weight? whats going with you? I lost weight because I was taking care of sick in-laws and small children. The doctors wanted to do all sorts of blood work on me. Anyways, don't worry about your weight....you need to get better first. If your that concerned see a Dietitian ( nutritionist).

andrew
05-19-2010, 11:42 PM
The Pred is both a blessing and a curse. The very best thing you can do for yourself is to eat right. As elephant says, eating the right foods helps us in so many ways. The Pred will affect you with mood swings and weight gain. Personally my moon face appeared literally overnight and disappeared over about a week or two after I dropped to (I think) 8mg. Everyone is different though. What dosage are you on now? Pred can affect your sanity too don't forget :-) Can anyone say 'pred rage'? :-) If you are totally freaking about your weight, I second the motion to see a good dietician i.e. one that takes your medication into account instead of giving you a 'template' diet.

Sangye
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
All great advice! I'll add to cut out salt, sugar and fried foods-- that will go a long way towards limiting pred weight gain. Don't eliminate salt completely, just don't eat foods high in it.

DEE
05-20-2010, 07:37 AM
i had a long period on and preds and put on two dress sizes put when i lowered them i actually lost the moon face and even went down less than i was
i was like you it really bothered me until i had another flare and had to go back on them it was then i realised how important they are to my well being at the moment
so yes they are a PAIN but please hang in there things will get better
ive had my ups and downs just now but believe things can get better
please keep thinking the same DEE x

MCC
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I understand. I posted lots of worries about weight gain when I first started on prednisone. I've been on it 4.5 months now and down to 12.5mg. I have put on 10 pounds, which is not great but actually it's not that much really, and less than I expected!

You also need to remember that the moon face is fluid retention and is not related to actual weight gain.

I've started running now and am trying to eat more healthily. You must eat- just eat healthily and exercise.

elephant
05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Mandy that is great! How many miles do you run?

MCC
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Mandy that is great! How many miles do you run?

Erm...it's just a gentle jog around the local park at the moment haha!

elephant
05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Gentle jog sounds good to me. I started to walk on the treadmill, did 4 miles in one hour, but then noticed my sinuses started to bother me. I basically stopped for now. Letting my body rest again and then try it again but slower and less miles. I will someday Jog! I love how I feel after a good brisk walk or jog!

Sangye
05-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow, 10 lbs on pred is nothing. And you can RUN? The southern hemisphere really IS opposite. Happy to hear that you're doing so well, Mandy.

MCC
05-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Wow, 10 lbs on pred is nothing. And you can RUN? The southern hemisphere really IS opposite. Happy to hear that you're doing so well, Mandy.

Thank you Sangye, I've appreciated all the help and advice you guys have given me.

When I said run I should have said 'beginners jog' really! :) I've never been sporty, but trying to do it now for the sake of my health...will see how I stick to it long term.

Lightwarrior
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I am constantly losing weighr because i am afraid to eat.. i feel like everything i eat goes to my face and belly...it is so frustrating. I dont want to lose no more weight because people around me say that i'm disappearing and i know it but cant help it. If i gain a few pounds will it all go to my fat stomach? And will it shrunk after i'm on 10mg? I think i'm going insane ;(

Katarzena,
You must eat, don't set yourself up for an eating disorder. The prednisone is responsible for your face and belly, it will improve when you are able to lower prednisone. Meanwhile you have to give your body the building blocks that proper nutrition provides to keep you as healthy as possible. Don't let yourself disappear, you are too special.

Nancy
05-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Katarsena -
I will try to share my feelings when I was on Prednisone and had weight increases and moon faces to share with the world.. I was also taking Cytoxan - knowing I was putting this "helpful poison" into my body... I like to garden... I can owrk long days and then go to te garden - it seems to releieve me of the fatique/pain and depression issues...
I would imagine my body as a beautful garden - in 3-D... I then saw a patch of a jelly like mold covering some of the garden... I would everyday - think about restoring my garden by use of these drugs... kind of like a treatment ( insecticide/aphid powder...). It made the worries about weight gain/changes in my body less - since I was effectively workening to strengthen and re-beautify my entire body... The weight does go down...the face does decline back to normal size... The prednisone just makes your body change how it deals with your food intake and then re-distributes the fat into specific areas... Pregnant women are not Fat - they are short-term "Fluffy"... You are not crazy - but the meds and verthinking can result in the same results... Give yourself a break - eat healthy to provide the best building blocks to get healthier... Like Sangye said - less empty calories to produce more fluff and less salt to hold fluids/water retention issues...
Wishing you the best... the beauty of who you are is truly inside.... Do not adopt a negative coping mechanism ( anorexia) due to convcerns about the disease... Follow though with others here on the site or professionally for counseling... All the best to you!! Nancy

Nancy
05-21-2010, 03:15 PM
sorry for the poor/bad spelling - it looks alright until I put it to be saved/posted.... : - )